Bullnose Forums

R134a adapter and ICE 32 question.

I was so looking forward to getting an all-new system into my truck with a meticulously measured quantity of PAG 46 oil. Following 4 Seasons' directions I added two ounces to the compressor's pre-filled three and tried to add the other five (for the required 10 ounces) to the accumulator, where it wouldn't fit. So, I tried gently turning the compressor by hand to slurp the rest in. Instead, the accumulator puked an unknown quantity of oil all over the heater box! F&*#, F*&$, F#&%! I'm guessing, but I don't know for sure, that I lost at least an ounce of oil. I couldn't squeeze any more in so I buttoned every thing up, vacuumed it down and ran down to my neighborhood Advance to pick up a charge can of PAG. All they had was a can with 1 ounce of oil, one ounce of ICE 32 additive, and one ounce of R124a.

Questions: I'm deeply suspicious and skeptical about "performance enhancing" additives but I had no choice so I read up and it actually might be good stuff. Does the ounce of ICE 32 plus an ounce of PAG add up to two ounces of lubrication? Or is the ICE 32 an additive that should be (what else) in addition to the 10 ounces of required oil?

But wait, there's more! The R12 to R134a adapter I bought and put on the high side has neither a valve nor the little pin that is supposed to push the valve in the service port after being pushed by the pusher in the gauge set valve. So, I have no access to the high side. I don't see how this kit would work for anyone let alone me, so what is the normal situation supposed to be? I'm confused. I have seen reference to an adapter with the little pusher pin but I haven't found one to buy.

The good news is you can hang meat in my truck now.

Mark

sounds like the adapter you have is not for your specific application. They are hit and miss now a days but if you can, i strongly recommend removing the shrader valve and installing a high side 134A fitting with a shrader threaded into it directly. This way if you ever have to replace the valve you wont have to go pulling the adapter off.

It also removes the hunting for the hard to find adapters with the extension to push on the shrader. Plus Ive had some of those that actually depressed the shrader when fully threaded down.

sounds like the adapter you have is not for your specific application. They are hit and miss now a days but if you can, i strongly recommend removing the shrader valve and installing a high side 134A fitting with a shrader threaded into it directly. This way if you ever have to replace the valve you wont have to go pulling the adapter off.

It also removes the hunting for the hard to find adapters with the extension to push on the shrader. Plus Ive had some of those that actually depressed the shrader when fully threaded down.

I’ve seen reference to the adapter with the valve but I can’t find one to buy. Or it’s unclear if the ones I find even have a valve or not.

Mark

I’ve seen reference to the adapter with the valve but I can’t find one to buy. Or it’s unclear if the ones I find even have a valve or not.

Mark

I added the Ester oil to each part. Little to the compressor, little to the condenser, little to the dryer & to the evap and may have added a little more than 10oz.

The compressor was used and I was told to add oil, but not how much, to it or they would not take it back if bad. I flushed out the evap everything else was new.

I did not know my HF gauge set would not hook to the high side, only the low side, so that is all I could read, low side.

Like you all the cans I got from AZ also had ICE32 so I did not think twice. Now some of the cans they had would also seal the system if it had a leak, I did not get that type as my system did not leak.

I also had to add 5 cans to get the low side PSI up to what the charts said it should be for the OAT at the time.

Mine blows cold so I am happy :nabble_anim_jump:

Dave ----

I added the Ester oil to each part. Little to the compressor, little to the condenser, little to the dryer & to the evap and may have added a little more than 10oz.

The compressor was used and I was told to add oil, but not how much, to it or they would not take it back if bad. I flushed out the evap everything else was new.

I did not know my HF gauge set would not hook to the high side, only the low side, so that is all I could read, low side.

Like you all the cans I got from AZ also had ICE32 so I did not think twice. Now some of the cans they had would also seal the system if it had a leak, I did not get that type as my system did not leak.

I also had to add 5 cans to get the low side PSI up to what the charts said it should be for the OAT at the time.

Dave ----

I should have done that but I was following directions for a change. My mistake. Directions are the road to hell.

Anyway, suddenly I'm finding retrofit adapters with schrader valves. Whatever. I'm gonna get one so I can get into the high side.

Mark

Dave ----

I should have done that but I was following directions for a change. My mistake. Directions are the road to hell.

Anyway, suddenly I'm finding retrofit adapters with schrader valves. Whatever. I'm gonna get one so I can get into the high side.

Mark

The way I looked at it and found each part held a little oil and why I added it to each part.

I also felt the system would even the oil out but wanted to help by also adding to each part.

I did see the post on the valve.

Being my system is working I don't see the need to check the high said at this time.

Down the road if I have issues I will need to check both sides and will cross that bridge then.

Dave ----

The way I looked at it and found each part held a little oil and why I added it to each part.

I also felt the system would even the oil out but wanted to help by also adding to each part.

I did see the post on the valve.

Being my system is working I don't see the need to check the high said at this time.

Down the road if I have issues I will need to check both sides and will cross that bridge then.

Dave ----

I'm doing a total new 4 seasons system as well. Doing it next weekend, i plan to add the oil to each part

Yea i went totally brand new on everything. Being the hoses are available for the trucks, i really dont see any reason why people are re-using the old hoses with the r12 fittings

I was already way over budget on my build and would have reused the R12 hoses.

I had no choice on the 2 compressor hoses as my 81 came with a York compressor and I was using an 84> Sanden compressor so the R12 hoses would not fit.

As it was I did have to reuse 1 because the new one I got had a wrong end and would not fit my system.

BTW the new high side hose for an 84 truck did not have the right fitting for my R134A gauges so I don't know what year hoses you went with but if it was for our year trucks I think all the hoses would be for R12 and not R134A.

Dave ----