Bullnose Forums

Cooling and temperature setting

Andre

I want to replace my normal clutch fan with an electric fan, and to buy it local I dont have the time and patience to buy it in the USA.

I found one that has 3430m3 suction capacity and draws 19.5 amp, I will need to make some brackets but thats ok.

How much does a Bronco 351 W need for thermo switch for cooling temp, as there are so many variations

ThanksIMG_3765.jpg.86eb574145ed79f61eadea93d98e1d36.jpg

Andre - I'm not sure I understand your question, but I think you are asking if that fan is enough to cool a 351W. And, I think you are asking what thermo switch to use. I don't know either answer, but hope others will.

However, remind me what you have for an alternator. I ask because the rule of thumb is that if you are going with an electric fan you need to upgrade to a 3G alternator. We don't have any hard data to prove it, but basically the understanding is that 20 amps for an electric fans plus the draw of the ignition system, headlights, and HVAC blower motor are collectively well beyond what a 1G or 2G will put out at anything but higher engine RPMs.

So, what alternator are you planning to use?

Andre - I'm not sure I understand your question, but I think you are asking if that fan is enough to cool a 351W. And, I think you are asking what thermo switch to use. I don't know either answer, but hope others will.

However, remind me what you have for an alternator. I ask because the rule of thumb is that if you are going with an electric fan you need to upgrade to a 3G alternator. We don't have any hard data to prove it, but basically the understanding is that 20 amps for an electric fans plus the draw of the ignition system, headlights, and HVAC blower motor are collectively well beyond what a 1G or 2G will put out at anything but higher engine RPMs.

So, what alternator are you planning to use?

Im not sure either I feel hes asking about temp on/off settings for the electric fans. If thats the question then that can be answered numerous ways.

Im not sure either I feel hes asking about temp on/off settings for the electric fans. If thats the question then that can be answered numerous ways.

That is what I thought he was asking and also thinking.

What temp stat are you using?

I would think have it come on a little above that. So a 195*f stat have it come on say 200*f and off at say 190*f as a start and go from there.

My.02 there is nothing wrong with the factory cooling system and then no need to change out the ALT for one that puts out more.

Again just my .02

Dave ----

That is what I thought he was asking and also thinking.

What temp stat are you using?

I would think have it come on a little above that. So a 195*f stat have it come on say 200*f and off at say 190*f as a start and go from there.

My.02 there is nothing wrong with the factory cooling system and then no need to change out the ALT for one that puts out more.

Again just my .02

Dave ----

Yep. Factory vehicles use 195* thermostats even today and the fans kick on around 210 - 220 cause a 195* thermostat starts to open at 195* and is fully open by 200*.

Yep. Factory vehicles use 195* thermostats even today and the fans kick on around 210 - 220 cause a 195* thermostat starts to open at 195* and is fully open by 200*.

Thanks guys, reason for me to change to electric cooling fan is because the shroud did not come with the car, and I dont seem to be able to find one here in Holland. At least one that fits correctly. My plan is to drive to Spain with the car, where it can be boiling hot in the mountains. I will get her on the road first, as that will give me some time to investigate the issue some more.