Bullnose Forums

Factory wiring locations for adding additional circuits

kramttocs

Glad to hear it! If you come up with good uses for them or other locations like this, let us know.

You said in a post of a fuse tap was to small what was meant of that?

I ask because yesterday when adding the air fuel ratio gauge (temp install till I get the AFR dialed in) my son had a few different sizes fuse taps in his stash.

You pull a fuse from the box it has 2 spades that go in where a fuse would be in the box.

Then it has 2 places to install fuses and a pig tail.

1 fuse would be the one you pulled to install this tap and protects the wiring of the box like it did before.

The other fuse, "the tap", would take a new fuse and feeds the "pig tail" to feed what ever.

He had 3 sizes: a micro fuse, mini fuse and normal fuse sizes.

Being I have only normal fuse size as spares that is what I went with.

Google search came up with this from Amazon - this is a mini fuse so check when looking.

https://www.amazon.com/10-Pack-Add-circuit-Adapter/dp/B01DYQM6EO/ref=pd_lpo_263_img_2/147-4235120-3914356?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01DYQM6EO&pd_rd_r=cec84910-89d3-4657-9462-98bfd3db4eb7&pd_rd_w=E8kXU&pd_rd_wg=J8c6X&pf_rd_p=16b28406-aa34-451d-8a2e-b3930ada000c&pf_rd_r=S9X8XJ76V8MQ6H1GW6V5&psc=1&refRID=S9X8XJ76V8MQ6H1GW6V5

We were able to pick a spot that when installed we could put the fuse box cover back on.

Yes I still have the cover.

Dave ----

You said in a post of a fuse tap was to small what was meant of that?

I ask because yesterday when adding the air fuel ratio gauge (temp install till I get the AFR dialed in) my son had a few different sizes fuse taps in his stash.

You pull a fuse from the box it has 2 spades that go in where a fuse would be in the box.

Then it has 2 places to install fuses and a pig tail.

1 fuse would be the one you pulled to install this tap and protects the wiring of the box like it did before.

The other fuse, "the tap", would take a new fuse and feeds the "pig tail" to feed what ever.

He had 3 sizes: a micro fuse, mini fuse and normal fuse sizes.

Being I have only normal fuse size as spares that is what I went with.

Google search came up with this from Amazon - this is a mini fuse so check when looking.

https://www.amazon.com/10-Pack-Add-circuit-Adapter/dp/B01DYQM6EO/ref=pd_lpo_263_img_2/147-4235120-3914356?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01DYQM6EO&pd_rd_r=cec84910-89d3-4657-9462-98bfd3db4eb7&pd_rd_w=E8kXU&pd_rd_wg=J8c6X&pf_rd_p=16b28406-aa34-451d-8a2e-b3930ada000c&pf_rd_r=S9X8XJ76V8MQ6H1GW6V5&psc=1&refRID=S9X8XJ76V8MQ6H1GW6V5

We were able to pick a spot that when installed we could put the fuse box cover back on.

Yes I still have the cover.

Dave ----

Hey Dave - not sure if you're asking me as I don't recall that but if fused correctly I see no problem with them and have used them on occasion for testing. Not something I've used as a semipermanent solution but that's due to form not function.

Hey Dave - not sure if you're asking me as I don't recall that but if fused correctly I see no problem with them and have used them on occasion for testing. Not something I've used as a semipermanent solution but that's due to form not function.

Not really to you but I think you posted about a fuse tap in 1 of the posts and why I brought it up.

I would not run 30 amps through the tap but the 2 things I am using it for, think it was a 20 amp fuse I pulled and needed to run a 10 amp fuse on the tap side.

I used the ACC fuse in the box and don't think I have all that much on the truck side as it is a Custom model with vary little ACC LOL

Just wanted to post it as an option is all.

Dave ----

Not really to you but I think you posted about a fuse tap in 1 of the posts and why I brought it up.

I would not run 30 amps through the tap but the 2 things I am using it for, think it was a 20 amp fuse I pulled and needed to run a 10 amp fuse on the tap side.

I used the ACC fuse in the box and don't think I have all that much on the truck side as it is a Custom model with vary little ACC LOL

Just wanted to post it as an option is all.

Dave ----

Ah 💡

Probably this:

"I ordered some fuse block connectors but they turned out to be too small so am still unsure of where to obtain new ones."

I was referring to a crimp on terminal that snaps into the back of the fuse block like from the factory. Something to make use of the empty spots that would then allow someone to use a fuse that looks like it came that way from the factory. I found some but they didn't fit in the fuse blocks in our trucks and haven't ever found new ones that do work. I've had to reuse some from another truck and solder my wires to them.

Ah 💡

Probably this:

"I ordered some fuse block connectors but they turned out to be too small so am still unsure of where to obtain new ones."

I was referring to a crimp on terminal that snaps into the back of the fuse block like from the factory. Something to make use of the empty spots that would then allow someone to use a fuse that looks like it came that way from the factory. I found some but they didn't fit in the fuse blocks in our trucks and haven't ever found new ones that do work. I've had to reuse some from another truck and solder my wires to them.

Yes so I miss what you were saying.

I do have a question?

How is that "new" wire getting power? I seen one of the connectors had a "jumper" between the 2 wires.

Was that out of the working truck or pulled from the spare box and again where was it getting power from?

Next time I am in my container with the wiring harness I will have to take a closer look at the back side of the box.

Dave ----

Ah 💡

Probably this:

Yes so I miss what you were saying.

I do have a question?

How is that "new" wire getting power? I seen one of the connectors had a "jumper" between the 2 wires.

Was that out of the working truck or pulled from the spare box and again where was it getting power from?

Next time I am in my container with the wiring harness I will have to take a closer look at the back side of the box.

Dave ----

Let me know if this explains it better.

What you're looking at in the photo with me holding the two terminals bridged together with the large wire and small wire is the red square box in the photo below.

Originally it just had the GY/Y wire the red arrow is pointing to.

The two terminals are the hot side of fuses 9 and 5.

I soldered the smaller wire (green in the diagram) to the backside of 9 (or 5. Can't recall) and then ran it to an empty hole in the fuse box.

The smaller wire was from a parts truck fuse box and the end not seen in that photo has a single terminal on it so it snapped into an empty hole (A).

Then I took another single terminal wire from the parts fuse box, snapped it in the other empty hole (B), and ran it to whatever needs power.

Stuck a fuse bridging A and B and the fuse now has power in Run because of the GY/Y factory wire.

fuse.png.2406a3c794e5870c2d527d80055b6ad4.png