Bullnose Forums

Thar she blows! (HVAC blower night & day.)

Wonder if HF has one of them air meters?

Dave ----

I didn't see one online but did see this fuse buddy knockoff tester

Nothing a multimeter can't do and doesn't help with the vent airflow test but still looks convenient in some situations.

I have something similar to that tester and it will also show a parasidic draw, just plug it in in place of the fuse and leave it sit for a few minutes and it will show the how much of a draw that fuse has over the amount of time it was plugged in.

I have something similar to that tester and it will also show a parasidic draw, just plug it in in place of the fuse and leave it sit for a few minutes and it will show the how much of a draw that fuse has over the amount of time it was plugged in.

I have the one Scott linked to, and it works nicely. Handy for testing circuits.

Wonder if HF has one of them air meters?

Dave ----

I didn't see one online but did see this fuse buddy knockoff tester

Nothing a multimeter can't do and doesn't help with the vent airflow test but still looks convenient in some situations.

It sure beats hooking up your meter and pulling fuses to find the parasite.

Mark

The relay kit came in, and there's precious little info on it, just like you said. May just have to go looking for the TSB.

Any guess on dates?

I just received mine too. Since I have it I might as well hook it up.

Mark

Seems like a good piece of kit.

Screws, clip nuts, crimps, zip ties.

A solid socket to mount, beefy wires and a genuine Bosch relay (from before they sold out)

The relay kit came in, and there's precious little info on it, just like you said. May just have to go looking for the TSB.

Any guess on dates?

I just received mine too. Since I have it I might as well hook it up.

Mark

After replacing the evap and cleaning all the crap out of the blower box and finding a dramatic improvement in airflow, the fan started vibrating. I pulled it and cleaned the crap out of the squirrel cage and reached through the fan hole into the drain well and found several inches of rich topsoil. I dug and dug and dug and finally got it all out and found the drain. Everything is clean and the drain is now open for business.

I took a closer look at the old evap from the fan side and it’s 2/3 clogged. No wonder air flow was nil.

Mark

After replacing the evap and cleaning all the crap out of the blower box and finding a dramatic improvement in airflow, the fan started vibrating. I pulled it and cleaned the crap out of the squirrel cage and reached through the fan hole into the drain well and found several inches of rich topsoil. I dug and dug and dug and finally got it all out and found the drain. Everything is clean and the drain is now open for business.

I took a closer look at the old evap from the fan side and it’s 2/3 clogged. No wonder air flow was nil.

Mark

This is why I always say "pull those rubber drains from behind the front wheels and flush the muck out with a hose"

We're the enthusiasts here.

The ones that care enough about our old trucks to dig in and make them right (in many cases righter)

No one wants their truck to rot from the kickpanels out.

And IN, where water pools on the floor behind the door seal pinch flange every time it rains.

Hopefully today I'll have a chance to see all that again, after replacing it a couple of months ago.

So I measured my airflow with the engine at 1500 rpm, all accessories off and controls on MAX A/C with no compressor since the system isn't finished yet. These numbers are meaningless since I didn't take "before" measurments but they might be of interest to the next person who measures his truck vent airflow with an anemometer. The pics are the vents left to right in two passes, 8 pics total. I apologize for the sidewaysness but I'm just not up to rotating the pics.

Mark

I couldn't remember the exact details of your test so I didn't match the criteria very well.

This was after a 30 minute drive home from a Lowe's run so:

Idling in Park (~900 rpm)

Fan on High in Vent

Radio on

Door open

Hot side relay mod

You are right in that it makes a huge difference where on the vent you measure. Since I figure all we care about is the fastest speed, I moved the anemometer around until I found the fastest speed for each vent.

Driver-left: 1259 ft/min

IMG_20200811_205725.thumb.jpg.25e2d9a16df2cef1e956963a3db16600.jpg

Driver-right: 1317 ft/min

IMG_20200811_205651.thumb.jpg.24fa99b07d3df32170b3a3df8bdad3ca.jpg

Passenger-left: 2115 ft/min

IMG_20200811_205618.thumb.jpg.99d6ea01603e3c971f693a4e436391b5.jpg

Passenger-right: 1249 ft/min

IMG_20200811_205808.thumb.jpg.8e4054f9a0011fce427682bb95e207af.jpg

I had to get stuff unloaded as it started raining but I want to do the test again with all of the vents shut except the Passenger-left vent. So only measure that vent. We aren't really concerned with the spread but rather if the relay mods make a difference. I'll measure that vent with and without the relay mod.

Mike - can you do the same? Also can you put yours in vent? Figure that will be a common setting that all users will have available if more want to post results.

I couldn't remember the exact details of your test so I didn't match the criteria very well.

This was after a 30 minute drive home from a Lowe's run so:

Idling in Park (~900 rpm)

Fan on High in Vent

Radio on

Door open

Hot side relay mod

You are right in that it makes a huge difference where on the vent you measure. Since I figure all we care about is the fastest speed, I moved the anemometer around until I found the fastest speed for each vent.

Driver-left: 1259 ft/min

Driver-right: 1317 ft/min

Passenger-left: 2115 ft/min

Passenger-right: 1249 ft/min

I had to get stuff unloaded as it started raining but I want to do the test again with all of the vents shut except the Passenger-left vent. So only measure that vent. We aren't really concerned with the spread but rather if the relay mods make a difference. I'll measure that vent with and without the relay mod.

Mike - can you do the same? Also can you put yours in vent? Figure that will be a common setting that all users will have available if more want to post results.

Here's our results compared. I was at idle (650 rpm) on MAX A/C with the doors closed, no relay mod.

Mark

DL DR PL PR TOTAL

Mark 1232 1074 1584 1419 5309

Scott 1259 1317 2115 1249 5940