Bullnose Forums

New Guy here

john

I’m John from Odessa, Tx.

Recently lost my 2008 Lariat to a red light running driver in an intersection 😿. No one hurt but had planned on keeping it forever.

I’m retired and don’t want to spend $50K on a new ride. So I bought a non running 1981 f150 single cab 4spd SROD w300 six.

PS, PB, factory AC.

No cancer but the Texas sun has totally cooked all the dash, door panels and seat.

Welcome into the fold John! :nabble_waving_orig:

Sorry to hear about your 'forever' truck, but I'm glad you've found us.

Your engine seems a lot like what one of the CT chapter members, Josiah, put together

Is it running now?

Can you post a picture or two?

We always love to see what others are driving and working on.

What are your plans?

Welcome into the fold John! http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/waving_orig.gif

Sorry to hear about your 'forever' truck, but I'm glad you've found us.

Your engine seems a lot like what one of the CT chapter members, Josiah, put together

Is it running now?

Can you post a picture or two?

We always love to see what others are driving and working on.

What are your plans?

I bought it as non running. Nothing was broken but starter ring gear was shot.

I pulled it and sent it to the machine shop. I’m supposed to get it back on 8-10-20.

Head was cracked and block was already bored .040 over sized.

They had to go to.060 to get it straight. I’ve found a 240 head that will increase the compression ratio.

I’m not too concerned about MPG I’m looking for Smiles Per Gallon.

91F3EC3F-CE99-4372-ADEF-D1FCC26AE8CE.jpeg.c775d77438a3d230b2484d9ca78e0fce.jpeg

I bought it as non running. Nothing was broken but starter ring gear was shot.

I pulled it and sent it to the machine shop. I’m supposed to get it back on 8-10-20.

Head was cracked and block was already bored .040 over sized.

They had to go to.060 to get it straight. I’ve found a 240 head that will increase the compression ratio.

I’m not too concerned about MPG I’m looking for Smiles Per Gallon.

Wow, so you're pretty deep into it.

I'm really surprised your machine shop needs days to torch on a ring gear and Blanchard grind a flywheel.

But I'm glad to know they're busy!

Yes, welcome! :nabble_anim_handshake:

And sorry about the accident. That's a shame.

Odessa? Want to be on our map? Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu.

I worked for Conoco, and back when the bottom fell out many decades ago the running joke was "What do you call a petroleum engineer in Midland/Odessa?" The answer was "Hey, waiter!" Unfortunately I knew many out there that lost their jobs.

Those bearings look well worn. But with the .060" over-bore and the 240 head you should get a bit of spunk out of the 300. :nabble_smiley_good:

Does your '81 have slide locks? How 'bout clear turn signal lenses. And, when and where was it made? I've done some research on that and it appears the change back to pin locks and to amber lenses were done on a by-plant basis.

Yes, welcome! :nabble_anim_handshake:

And sorry about the accident. That's a shame.

Odessa? Want to be on our map? Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu.

I worked for Conoco, and back when the bottom fell out many decades ago the running joke was "What do you call a petroleum engineer in Midland/Odessa?" The answer was "Hey, waiter!" Unfortunately I knew many out there that lost their jobs.

Those bearings look well worn. But with the .060" over-bore and the 240 head you should get a bit of spunk out of the 300. :nabble_smiley_good:

Does your '81 have slide locks? How 'bout clear turn signal lenses. And, when and where was it made? I've done some research on that and it appears the change back to pin locks and to amber lenses were done on a by-plant basis.

Welcome!

Wow, so you're pretty deep into it.

I'm really surprised your machine shop needs days to torch on a ring gear and Blanchard grind a flywheel.

But I'm glad to know they're busy!

Yes the machine shop is busy but I could have worded the info better.

I dropped off the block, head and crank to be checked and repaired as needed. The shop found the cracked head and worn cylinders. The crank was fine so it was polished and returned to me.

I priced a new ring gear plus labor then elected to buy a new flywheel for the same money.

I priced a new ring gear plus labor then elected to buy a new flywheel for the same money.

I went the same way when I swapped in my Zf-5.

That came back to bite me. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

I've had ongoing starter issues.

But hopefully when I get back 'home' and pull my engine to swap oil pumps, replace the oil pan gasket and more, I'll be able to torch on the new ring gear without any trouble.

I went the same way when I swapped in my Zf-5.

That came back to bite me. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

I've had ongoing starter issues.

But hopefully when I get back 'home' and pull my engine to swap oil pumps, replace the oil pan gasket and more, I'll be able to torch on the new ring gear without any trouble.

Yes, please add my info to the members map.

Mine is a Custom base model build date of 6-81 without slide locks on door panels just the normal pin style pointing up. All the turn indicator lenses are amber.

I’m not sure where to find where it was made.

Conoco eh? I got 35 years with Amoco -> Altura -> Oxy before being retired.

I don’t mind sharing pics and info. Should I start a new thread in the project area?