Bullnose Forums

Kingpins, spindles & beams...Oh my!

Ok. We can pick this up again then. I think I left enough tracks that I can get back to where I was.

Ok time to pick it up again :nabble_anim_confused:

First I have to say the measurements are vary ruff as my caliper batt was dead and dog foster watching so could not run out and pick one up.

First thing I did was pull 1 of the small pin caps that has the grease fitting in it off the truck and tried it on the large pin spindles ........ it was too small and fell right in to the opening.

That was not a good sign for what I was thinking.

Cleaned some grease from the small pin and took measurement the best I could of the OD of the bushing and came up with 9/16", pin size is 0.862 (rare parts king pin set auto zone)

On the large pin bushing OD I came up with 1-3/16", pin size is 1.053 (rare parts king pin set auto zone)

That last thing would be Kingpin Length (in): Small pin 6.6875 large pin 6.9375 (rare parts king pin set auto zone) and at .25 difference I think that may be an issue?

So the way I see it if you want to use the DJM small pin drop beams on a large king pin truck you would need to find a bushing with and OD of 1-3/16" or little larger and turned down to fit the large pin spindles and an ID of 0.862 or smaller and reamed to fit the small pins.

How hard do you think that would be?

Oh and turn down a large pin to the small pin size because of the length and hope the pin lock bolt lines up right.

Dave G.

Ok time to pick it up again :nabble_anim_confused:

First I have to say the measurements are vary ruff as my caliper batt was dead and dog foster watching so could not run out and pick one up.

First thing I did was pull 1 of the small pin caps that has the grease fitting in it off the truck and tried it on the large pin spindles ........ it was too small and fell right in to the opening.

That was not a good sign for what I was thinking.

Cleaned some grease from the small pin and took measurement the best I could of the OD of the bushing and came up with 9/16", pin size is 0.862 (rare parts king pin set auto zone)

On the large pin bushing OD I came up with 1-3/16", pin size is 1.053 (rare parts king pin set auto zone)

That last thing would be Kingpin Length (in): Small pin 6.6875 large pin 6.9375 (rare parts king pin set auto zone) and at .25 difference I think that may be an issue?

So the way I see it if you want to use the DJM small pin drop beams on a large king pin truck you would need to find a bushing with and OD of 1-3/16" or little larger and turned down to fit the large pin spindles and an ID of 0.862 or smaller and reamed to fit the small pins.

How hard do you think that would be?

Oh and turn down a large pin to the small pin size because of the length and hope the pin lock bolt lines up right.

Dave G.

What material are the bushing made of? Probably something soft, so turning them down wouldn't be too hard. You'd have to have a tapered shaft for the bushing to be pressed onto, lightly, and then run that shaft between centers on the lathe. Once the bushing OD is turned down you'd press it off and chuck it in the lathe to bore it out to the correct OD.

But, you have to find the right bushing material and I have no idea what that is.

What material are the bushing made of? Probably something soft, so turning them down wouldn't be too hard. You'd have to have a tapered shaft for the bushing to be pressed onto, lightly, and then run that shaft between centers on the lathe. Once the bushing OD is turned down you'd press it off and chuck it in the lathe to bore it out to the correct OD.

But, you have to find the right bushing material and I have no idea what that is.

Every king pin bushing I have seen except the polyethylene ones are steel shells with a bronze insert and have to be reamed to size after installation.

They look to be some type of brass mix I am guessing from the color, gold.

When the bushings are pressed into the spindles the ID will close up and why they need to be reamed even if you have the right size parts for the beams & spindles.

Now turning down of the pin might be tuff as it maybe harden but would not know till a machine shop got a hold of it.

Might be easier to ask DJM to make large pin drop beams!

Thanks for the help

Dave ----

Every king pin bushing I have seen except the polyethylene ones are steel shells with a bronze insert and have to be reamed to size after installation.

Bronze not brass what was I thinking :nabble_anim_crazy:

My large pin kit I don't remember seeing a steel shell all bronze.

Then again I opened the box gave a quick look over and then a few days later handed everything off to the machine shop.

It also around the holidays so who knows?

Dave ----