Bullnose Forums

Need advice on what to do

I don't think AbandonedBronco drives for best mileage... he rather enjoys letting the engine rev a bit! :nabble_smiley_wink:

This was him driving before adding FI:

And more:

4500RPM in 2nd...:nabble_smiley_scared: OK, I get the mileage. All things considered it's excellent I think.

I don't think AbandonedBronco drives for best mileage... he rather enjoys letting the engine rev a bit! :nabble_smiley_wink:

This was him driving before adding FI:

And more:

4500RPM in 2nd...:nabble_smiley_scared: OK, I get the mileage. All things considered it's excellent I think.

His engine is strong! A stock engine with 1 barrel and log exhaust manifold and stock muffler with catalytic converters literally runs out of breath around 3K RPMs. :nabble_smiley_grin:

His engine is strong! A stock engine with 1 barrel and log exhaust manifold and stock muffler with catalytic converters literally runs out of breath around 3K RPMs. :nabble_smiley_grin:

And with EFI and no cat I cant see taking it over 2500 RPM and most of the time I shift at or below 2000 RPM

The 300 six pulls at a low RPM so I don't see the need to run it out all that high.

Dave ----

And with EFI and no cat I cant see taking it over 2500 RPM and most of the time I shift at or below 2000 RPM

The 300 six pulls at a low RPM so I don't see the need to run it out all that high.

Dave ----

Yeah, when I was reading through his proposed build in another thread I noted all the other adjustments he’d made and just didn’t feel comfortable that my set up would be comparable.

With a sniper you should see that and possibly better. Most people with properly tuned snipers I see speak of 17 - 19 mpg city on the sniper owners group over on FB.

Is that for a straight six or v8's and they in cars or trucks shaped like a brick?

What other work was done at that time?

Like on my truck I added the over drive but I also got the AC working so I cant see the MPG going up all that much if at all till I can drive the truck with out the over drive.

I think that makes a big difference that they only to the EFI upgrade and nothing else.

I don't have FB so I cant check it out.

Dave ----

Most of these conversions are done on cars and trucks with simmilar brick like aerodynamics. Most of them are fullsize cars like impala`s, chevelles, fairlanes, then you got some trucks like ours, broncos, blazers, etc.

On average with a tune to get the fuel map proper for your specific engine, you should see city miliage around what your carb was getting at highway miliage.

I6 or V8 wouldnt make much difference outside of the exact number of mpg. they will see a improvement cause carbs are not that efficient as an EFI setup like this that is constantly swinging rich to lean to rich to maintain proper air fuel ratio.

Most of these conversions are done on cars and trucks with simmilar brick like aerodynamics. Most of them are fullsize cars like impala`s, chevelles, fairlanes, then you got some trucks like ours, broncos, blazers, etc.

On average with a tune to get the fuel map proper for your specific engine, you should see city miliage around what your carb was getting at highway miliage.

I6 or V8 wouldnt make much difference outside of the exact number of mpg. they will see a improvement cause carbs are not that efficient as an EFI setup like this that is constantly swinging rich to lean to rich to maintain proper air fuel ratio.

Any thoughts on the intake upgrades?

Typically: Offenhauser 4 barrel ["C" type] aluminum intake, Offenhauser 4 barrel DP [two ports], Clifford 4 barrel and the elusive Clifford 2 X 4 barrel, which with adapters can mount 2 barrel carburetors.

The C Offy is what I had thought.

Here’s where I’m having a ton of wasted time researching - upgrading to a serpentine system. I’ve already ordered and committed to upgrading the alternator to a 3G. Currently the one I purchased has serpentine belt set up. I also had a source for the saginaw PS pump, but it’s set up for serpentine as well. I understand that I need to change the water pump to reverse the spin, but is there a kit somewhere that has the things I need to convert? Pulley, idlers, etc. I’m not finding anything for the 300 I6.

Here’s where I’m having a ton of wasted time researching - upgrading to a serpentine system. I’ve already ordered and committed to upgrading the alternator to a 3G. Currently the one I purchased has serpentine belt set up. I also had a source for the saginaw PS pump, but it’s set up for serpentine as well. I understand that I need to change the water pump to reverse the spin, but is there a kit somewhere that has the things I need to convert? Pulley, idlers, etc. I’m not finding anything for the 300 I6.

On the belt setup you need everything from a 300 six that used that system.

IIRC the EFI trucks used that system so IIRC 87 to the end like mid 90's.

Now I think it was the vans that used the PS pump you want to use don't know if the later PU used it or not?

Now just because the 3G has a serp belt pulley it is an easy swap to V belt.

Pull the serp pulley off add a flat washer and install the V belt pulley and done.

As for the PS pump the vans used that pump with V belt so think 80 - 86 is what you would be looking for.

20181216_161646.jpg.9c57bab85fb7214aea68c2f4ffb3a303.jpg

In the picture the PS pump is using the outer most groove on the crank, that is where the AC belt needed to be and does not go over the water pump like it needs on an AC truck.

So I had to space the PS pump back to use the center groove on the crank pulley when I installed the AC compressor and change out the water pump pulley to have 3 same dia. grooves for the 3 belts.

Dave ----

On the belt setup you need everything from a 300 six that used that system.

IIRC the EFI trucks used that system so IIRC 87 to the end like mid 90's.

Now I think it was the vans that used the PS pump you want to use don't know if the later PU used it or not?

Now just because the 3G has a serp belt pulley it is an easy swap to V belt.

Pull the serp pulley off add a flat washer and install the V belt pulley and done.

As for the PS pump the vans used that pump with V belt so think 80 - 86 is what you would be looking for.

In the picture the PS pump is using the outer most groove on the crank, that is where the AC belt needed to be and does not go over the water pump like it needs on an AC truck.

So I had to space the PS pump back to use the center groove on the crank pulley when I installed the AC compressor and change out the water pump pulley to have 3 same dia. grooves for the 3 belts.

Dave ----

Yeah, I think you’re right - The only thing that was making me think serp was the set up for the Saginaw PS and that the V belts can keep up with the 130 amp alternator (But I assume that as long as I’m not pulling a ton voltage, it won’t be an issue).

I suppose if I can find a saginaw for v belt and just switch the pulley on the alternator, it’ll be fine.