Bullnose Forums

Best alternator option?

Gary has a chart of pulley size V alternator speed, and charging output posted along with the test sheet I sent him.

But I have no idea where he has it posted.

In a very logical place: Documentation/Electrical/Alternators. The pulley info is on the tab Output Vs RPM, and the test sheet is on the tab DB Electrical 130 Amp Test Results.

And now you try to confound me with logic! :nabble_anim_crazy:

And now you try to confound me with logic! :nabble_anim_crazy:

Gary, I've noticed at the bottom of your "wiring it" page you have 87 & 87A reversed.

Well, not the terminals reversed, but you want the choke circuit to be on the pulled in side, and normally open.

Just an observation, not criticism.

You've done a great job detailing what's needed.

We should also get together to work on some schematics.

1G to 3G... both with and without ammeter.

2G to 3G...again, with & without

Gary, I've noticed at the bottom of your "wiring it" page you have 87 & 87A reversed.

Well, not the terminals reversed, but you want the choke circuit to be on the pulled in side, and normally open.

Just an observation, not criticism.

You've done a great job detailing what's needed.

We should also get together to work on some schematics.

1G to 3G... both with and without ammeter.

2G to 3G...again, with & without

Jim - At first glance I thought you were right on the relay diagram on the Chokes tab, which is the one you are talking about - right? But then I looked again and I think what has happened is that the "87" and "87a" characters have moved too far to the left. If they were slid over to the right they'd be right. Right? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Isn't 87a the quiescent position and 87 the powered position? I have to look that up every single time.

That diagram looks to be one I drew and it is drawn poorly. Very poorly.

But you are right that we need to improve the 3G page. However, at the moment I'm having a hard time keeping up. In fact, I'm not. So can you take a stab at writing up what you think we need? I can draw up whatever schematics we need to fit what you come up with.

If you don't have the time I'd certainly understand. I'm "there" myself.

Jim - At first glance I thought you were right on the relay diagram on the Chokes tab, which is the one you are talking about - right? But then I looked again and I think what has happened is that the "87" and "87a" characters have moved too far to the left. If they were slid over to the right they'd be right. Right? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Isn't 87a the quiescent position and 87 the powered position? I have to look that up every single time.

But you are right that we need to improve the 3G page. However, at the moment I'm having a hard time keeping up. In fact, I'm not. So can you take a stab at writing up what you think we need? I can draw up whatever schematics we need to fit what you come up with.

87A is normally closed, and 87 is closed when energized.

But the 'tounge' is shown in the 'out' position (quiescent) with the choke connected there.

The pull-in coil is by convention pulled in by current flowing through it.

The choke should be connected so it only gets power when the stator has power. (Alternator turning)

I'm gonna hound you.

But today is 'Church Day', as opposed to your other six Saturdays. :nabble_smiley_evil:

BTW, I trust your services went well yesterday.

I'm sorry to learn of the passing of one of your congregation.

I will be glad to help.

I'll just snap screen shots of the pages and do some manual markup

(I'm old, and have little connection or computer hardware, but I did live commercial art in another life, as you know)

87A is normally closed, and 87 is closed when energized.

But the 'tounge' is shown in the 'out' position (quiescent) with the choke connected there.

The pull-in coil is by convention pulled in by current flowing through it.

The choke should be connected so it only gets power when the stator has power. (Alternator turning)

I'm gonna hound you.

But today is 'Church Day', as opposed to your other six Saturdays. :nabble_smiley_evil:

BTW, I trust your services went well yesterday.

I'm sorry to learn of the passing of one of your congregation.

DUH! You are right, the choke is in the wrong spot! :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

So, I need to fix that awa surely lots of other things. Yes, please mark things up and I'll do the editing.

The service was actually for my cousin, who was more like a sister to me. (Her father left when she was young and my father helped raise her.) But the service was one of the best I've ever seen. Two of her sons spoke, as did other people, and both hit it out of the park. And while not everyone could be there, many got to watch via Facebook Live - including my kids.

But yes, today is "Church Day". However, after church WelderScott has asked that I help him bleed the brakes on his '78 - which has the old cast iron master. I've toyed with drilling and tapping the cover from one of my masters, which will probably never get used anyway, and using that to put air pressure on via my whizz bang setup. Would have to put a hole in the gasket, but that shouldn't be a problem. I wonder if the lids interchange?

Anyway, hound me!

DUH! You are right, the choke is in the wrong spot! :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

So, I need to fix that awa surely lots of other things. Yes, please mark things up and I'll do the editing.

The service was actually for my cousin, who was more like a sister to me. (Her father left when she was young and my father helped raise her.) But the service was one of the best I've ever seen. Two of her sons spoke, as did other people, and both hit it out of the park. And while not everyone could be there, many got to watch via Facebook Live - including my kids.

But yes, today is "Church Day". However, after church WelderScott has asked that I help him bleed the brakes on his '78 - which has the old cast iron master. I've toyed with drilling and tapping the cover from one of my masters, which will probably never get used anyway, and using that to put air pressure on via my whizz bang setup. Would have to put a hole in the gasket, but that shouldn't be a problem. I wonder if the lids interchange?

Anyway, hound me!

Oh!

Then closer than a cousin, and more like a sister?

I can relate to childhood abandonment.

Your father was a great man to step up and support his sister. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm sorry Gary! :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

I'm glad that we have the means to come together (Facetime, or a myriad of other applications) in this time of social distancing.

+10 for helping welder Scott!

He certainly did you a solid with BB's crossmember.

This is what makes this forum so special!

Like George posted the other day, or I said to GSM, we are a 'family' and I don't know any one of us that wouldn't do all they can to support another.

Oh!

Then closer than a cousin, and more like a sister?

I can relate to childhood abandonment.

Your father was a great man to step up and support his sister. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm sorry Gary! :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

I'm glad that we have the means to come together (Facetime, or a myriad of other applications) in this time of social distancing.

+10 for helping welder Scott!

He certainly did you a solid with BB's crossmember.

This is what makes this forum so special!

Like George posted the other day, or I said to GSM, we are a 'family' and I don't know any one of us that wouldn't do all they can to support another.

Yes, we are a family. Scott certainly has helped me, and while he doesn't do much on the forum he is "family" in another way - we attend church together. So I'm happy to help him.

I'm going to push him today to enter his truck in the "show". Which reminds me, Jim - where is your entry? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Yes, we are a family. Scott certainly has helped me, and while he doesn't do much on the forum he is "family" in another way - we attend church together. So I'm happy to help him.

I'm going to push him today to enter his truck in the "show". Which reminds me, Jim - where is your entry? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Li'l Red is a wallflower.

She doesn't want to be the center of attention any more than I do. :nabble_smiley_blush: