Bullnose Forums

Best alternator option?

I've finally gotten around to cleaning up some wiring from the PO and traced an oddly spliced wire all the way back to the choke. Turns out my alternator wiring isn't completely working so the PO jerryrigged it.

I'm going to go ahead and replace/upgrade the alternator instead of trying to futz with the odd one that is in there. Any suggestions on the best alternator to convert to for a carb'ed 351 W? I wouldn't mind having a little extra current to work with but I'm not looking to do anything radical.

Thanks

I think you want to do the 3G upgrade: Documentation/Electrical/3G Conversion in the menu.

Thanks, Gary.

I looked through that earlier and had a question that you may know the answer to. You mentioned that DB Electrical (at the time) offered a 130 amp unit and gave the model link as F4PZ 10346-B. When I look at that link though, they seem to start at 160 amps. Is the 130 amp no longer made? If I decide to go with a large case G3 and I'm looking for a reasonable 130 amps, what is the best model/manufacturer?

Thanks, Gary.

I looked through that earlier and had a question that you may know the answer to. You mentioned that DB Electrical (at the time) offered a 130 amp unit and gave the model link as F4PZ 10346-B. When I look at that link though, they seem to start at 160 amps. Is the 130 amp no longer made? If I decide to go with a large case G3 and I'm looking for a reasonable 130 amps, what is the best model/manufacturer?

Interesting! Yes, when I go to the DB site I find a 160 amp for $211. But when I search for "DB Electrical F4PZ-10346-B" I find that Amazon has it for $79.95, and in the OEM Part # list I find F4PZ-10346-B included.

I think I'd call DB and see what gives. Or, just order it from Amazon.

Interesting! Yes, when I go to the DB site I find a 160 amp for $211. But when I search for "DB Electrical F4PZ-10346-B" I find that Amazon has it for $79.95, and in the OEM Part # list I find F4PZ-10346-B included.

I think I'd call DB and see what gives. Or, just order it from Amazon.

Good advice, Gary.

I called them. They do have the 130 amp unit for $70. You have to search for it under the part number AFD0032. This one should fit easily, right?

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/alternator-3-8-mustang-94-95-96-97-98-99-00-thunderbird-cougar-94-97.html

Good advice, Gary.

I called them. They do have the 130 amp unit for $70. You have to search for it under the part number AFD0032. This one should fit easily, right?

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/alternator-3-8-mustang-94-95-96-97-98-99-00-thunderbird-cougar-94-97.html

Yes, I believe that will be a good fit. However, you'll have to change out the pulley, which is no big deal.

I've finally gotten around to cleaning up some wiring from the PO and traced an oddly spliced wire all the way back to the choke. Turns out my alternator wiring isn't completely working so the PO jerryrigged it.

The wire from the alternator to the choke assembly is correct. It is the power for the electric assist part of your choke. Most of these trucks came from Ford with a thermostatic "hot air" choke with electric assist. That wire is only powered when the engine (and alternator) is actually running.

alternator.gif.b28236d8f58c812a3eae93164e481622.gif

The wire from the alternator to the choke assembly is correct. It is the power for the electric assist part of your choke. Most of these trucks came from Ford with a thermostatic "hot air" choke with electric assist. That wire is only powered when the engine (and alternator) is actually running.

It would be interesting to know if his '86 came with a 1G or 2G alternator....

It should be a 2G from all I've read, but it would be interesting to know.

Exactly!

And that's reason enough in my book, even if it were unfettered by the PO.

But Rick was showing 1G.

The choke stator wire on my truck came direct from the 'Fire Plug"

Perhaps we should change that page back to "stock replacement for 3.8 V-6 1991-1994"?