Bullnose Forums

1986 F350/460 ambulance reprovision

Westerj

Rechecked,the ground strap from wiper motor headed straight down, likely to block. That is toast... put the aluminum heat exchanger in. Scraped off the old dumdum, put a new bead of sealer down. Top tank cleared duct housing just fine, but was wider, so oem sponge collar wouldnt fit. Used foam that came with core to "seal" somewhat.

Foam strip

Next.. debug no start situation...

Progress!

Good work on getting the heater core back in. :nabble_smiley_good:As I recall that seal around the top is pretty stiff from the factory.That ground is important.The wiper motor is a pretty heavy draw.When I grounded my underhood lights there found mine had vibration cracked many strands.It goes under the intake manifold bolt, second from the back on that side.Tell me again what's up with starting your truck?
I parked truck on the back 40 a while back. Fiddled with soggy door pillar pockets, mouse trapping and heater core.  

Have been snipping out ambulance lighting, typically very different than Ford. Black tape and horrid butt connectors... 

Are the cruise control wires hacked into the harness?  seems so.

The wires that used to connect to the mega alternator ( hinted at previously) are found severed. Pic attached.   Can i ditch that whole connector? 

Alternator now goes right into the battery selector switch.  Can see new cables coming soon. 

Where does dash power come from? How to identify main feed?

Next bit might be to remove the console between seats.. with all those relays and heavy cables.  Lots of control stuff too, though mostly lights....

Carb is dripping, from the accelerator pump.... once i get it pulled up to the garage, from the back 40!

Side note: Looking at used F150 STX SCab, 2.7L ... might pull trigger tomorrow night.   Can't move much in an RSX! 2018 has electrically controlled waste gates and some other things.  Good times.

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020, 1:27 PM ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

20201025_192735.thumb.jpg.3b29aa66ac505437a89340aa376cb8ad.jpg

Exciting news on the newer F150!

No, the factory (key word here) cruise control isn't hacked or spliced in. The 86 should have the vss down at the transmission.

I think the photo may not be showing the cut part.

That thicker yellow wire is the primary cab power source.

C610 will be a good connector to get familiar with and understand.

See here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/charge--power-distribution---gasoline-engines.html

The wires that used to connect to the mega alternator ( hinted at previously) are found severed

You may have already covered this but 'used to'? Or used to connect to the factory alt before the new mega one was added that went directly to the battery switch?

Exciting news on the newer F150!

No, the factory (key word here) cruise control isn't hacked or spliced in. The 86 should have the vss down at the transmission.

I think the photo may not be showing the cut part.

That thicker yellow wire is the primary cab power source.

C610 will be a good connector to get familiar with and understand.

See here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/charge--power-distribution---gasoline-engines.html

C610 passes main power to the cab by way of the large yellow wire

Ignition (key on) power back to the voltage regulator by the lt.green/red wire.

Power to and from the ammeter by the red and orange wires.

The wires that used to connect to the mega alternator ( hinted at previously) are found severed

You may have already covered this but 'used to'? Or used to connect to the factory alt before the new mega one was added that went directly to the battery switch?

Scott, I'm willing to bet by "mega alternator" he means the 200A L-N that Ambulance package cutaway chassis leave the factory with.

You may have already covered this but 'used to'? Or used to connect to the factory alt before the new mega one was added that went directly to the battery switch?Lousy pic. Sorry!!

Here is a better one.. 

That round connector at bottom of pic seems to go nowhere.

There is a fusible link back to the relay. 

Didn't see any fat gage wires from starter relay towards dash, but big power might come out of the console relay by seats instead.  Ima reading about C610 wires.  Thx for pointer. 

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020, 9:23 PM kramttocs [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

20201025_213913.thumb.jpg.fa0c503688ca48fdd214ad0573c3886b.jpg

You may have already covered this but 'used to'? Or used to connect to the factory alt before the new mega one was added that went directly to the battery switch?Whoever put the new alternator in ran a huge copper wire to its power out stud. In recent picture, the fat red cable with disintegrating cover heads over to alternator.   Might justRip out the console, the automated power switch and put it back together. How do most vehicles handle dual batteries? Would an under hood knife switch work better.

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020, 9:23 PM kramttocs [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <redacted_email_address> wrote: