Bullnose Forums

1986 F350/460 ambulance reprovision

Westerj

Some trucks have a throttle positioner just like an AC kicker, but with the flatbeds I'm used to there's a knob so you can set it just where you want.

The later 3G definitely out performs any one wire (GM) style alternator.

If you're talking about a 1G alternator with separate wires for field, stator and charge, yes it is better at idle than an alternator that has to self excite.

If you're not playing mix and match across generations of compressor, condenser and evaporator you're best to get stock lines.

If you need odd fittings to fit different components then you'll need to have them made up.

If you're using R-134 (or something else) you need the proper orifice tube.

While many people and most shops would replace the drier, that's not to say it can't be flushed and reclaimed under vacuum.

If the pump disintegrated I'd replace all components as a matter of course.

But, I'm not sure what you mean by "catastrophic"

Some trucks have a throttle positioner just like an AC kicker, but with the flatbeds I'm used to there's a knob so you can set it just where you want.The later 3G definitely out performs any one wire (GM) style alternator.If you're talking about a 1G alternator with separate wires for field, stator and charge, yes it is better at idle than an alternator that has to self excite.If you're not playing mix and match across generations of compressor, condenser and evaporator you're best to get stock lines.If you need odd fittings to fit different components then you'll need to have them made up.If you're using R-134 (or something else) you need the proper orifice tube.While many people and most shops would replace the drier, that's not to say it can't be flushed and reclaimed under vacuum.If the pump disintegrated I'd replace all components as a matter of course.But, I'm not sure what you mean by "catastrophic"
Catastrophic  as in - the system open to the air for a day.  Who knows what gets where!!  Or just reassemble the pipe circuit,  pump down, refill with current refrigerant, dye and lubricant... 

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020, 11:45 AM ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

I doubt you've had any mud daubers build a nest in there!

While perhaps it would have been wise to plug or tape the open circuit I don't think any permanent harm's been done in a day.

A flush with gas line antifreeze (99.9% isopropyl) and then holding under vacuum should clear any moisture.

I need to qualify this by stating that I am NO refrigeration mechanic, and though this is how 'I' would proceed, it is by no means necessarily the 'proper' way.

There are plenty of members here that have much more real world experience than I do, and if you want a definitive answer I would certainly defer to their better judgement.

That's why I asked.It looks VERY similar.I don't see any rats nest. (I think he's taken care of that! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:)But I do see a beautiful bowl of electron spaghetti!
Rats not resolved... when i have lights in box, and non ford looms removed, ill be happier.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020, 11:21 AM ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

So, what are you thinking for lights in back?

I've been a big proponent of budget LED lighting and with wise choices haven't been disappointed yet.

Glad to hear you're making progress with the rodent population, even if they haven't been decimated yet.

Keep at it. Because they will keep breeding, and you don't want to know the exponential possibilities of that.

So, what are you thinking for lights in back?I've been a big proponent of budget LED lighting and with wise choices haven't been disappointed yet.Glad to hear you're making progress with the rodent population, even if they haven't been decimated yet.Keep at it. Because they will keep breeding, and you don't want to know the exponential possibilities of that.
Thinking 4 x led floodlights ... magnets on back to allow moving. Switch near entry point.

One more led under hood. 

Went to remove cowl last night. Trim strip at base of hood disintegrated... saw back of hood had been interfering with cowl on opening hood. Common thing with bullnose beasties??

Saw meyal covers over vents by drivers and passengers feet. They likely contain bags of money right?? I mean loads of rodent nests for soup?

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020, 1:44 PM ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

Saw meyal covers over vents by drivers and passengers feet. They likely

contain bags of money right?? I mean loads of rodent nests for soup?

If you find bags of money there OR come up with a way to make money from what is normally found behind those covers you will have a lot of new best friends :nabble_smiley_happy:

It's definitely recommended to pull those covers and clear out the gunk that has accumulated over the years from falling through the cowl slots. Not only for moisture concerns but also because it can pile up enough to get pulled into the fan and sit against the resistor which has often been a cause for smoke and a possible fire.

Underneath the likely gunk you'll find there is a duck bill drain plug you will want to ensure is clean. Some people remove them completely. I've always heard they are there to keep rodents out but maybe in your case they are keeping the rodents in? :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

On the A/C, I am also no expert and have only recently messed with it but I would consider replacing the dryer/accumulator and the orifice tube. Pulling the orifice tube will give you a decent idea of what kind of shape the system is in. All together I think these two pieces are under $30.

Saw meyal covers over vents by drivers and passengers feet. They likelycontain bags of money right?? I mean loads of rodent nests for soup?
If you find bags of money there OR come up with a way to make money from what is normally found behind those covers you will have a lot of new best friends :nabble_smiley_happy:It's definitely recommended to pull those covers and clear out the gunk that has accumulated over the years from falling through the cowl slots. Not only for moisture concerns but also because it can pile up enough to get pulled into the fan and sit against the resistor which has often been a cause for smoke and a possible fire.Underneath the likely gunk you'll find there is a duck bill drain plug you will want to ensure is clean. Some people remove them completely. I've always heard they are there to keep rodents out but maybe in your case they are keeping the rodents in? :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:On the A/C, I am also no expert and have only recently messed with it but I would consider replacing the dryer/accumulator and the orifice tube. Pulling the orifice tube will give you a decent idea of what kind of shape the system is in. All together I think these two pieces are under $30.
Awesome info.. ac at some point.

Thibk ill try to break free the thermactor trees... if i get em all off...  without crows foot line wrenches

Did find a 15mm snap on bluepoint combination wrench. Metric?? Really??

need to get wyze camera on the traps... see how many are high fiving after a meal.

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020, 2:27 PM kramttocs [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

The cowl seal is often disintegrating, and can lead to water in the engine via the air cleaner lid.

Gary and have a write-up on using an inexpensive garage door seal to replace it.

Is the interior of your box steel?

I wouldn't think so, but I guess this truck is old enough.

In that case consider a rare earth (niobium samaraium) magnet upgrade.

Skidding and dropping off as the truck hits ruts and stuff is not only inopportune, but can prove distracting.

The inner kick covers lead to the lower cowls -opposite the drains- and are likely full of muck.

I don't know if rodents would want to be flooded out every time it rains.

Tea... Please be distinguished! We are BULLNOSE owners, not mere peasants. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: