Bullnose Forums

Exhaust options for 351W

Lots going on with Espy... updates in a week or so I hope :)

This means I am starting to look at the next few items. I am going to (or have someone else) rebuild the engine over the winter and the exhaust will need to be replaced as it is pretty rotten. The headers are really annoying, I can hardly reach the spark plugs so I want them to go!! Besides I like the look of long headers.

So from Exhaust port to tailpipe, no emission concerns here, what do you all think?

If you are asking whether to go with long-tubes or not, I'll say yes. But you said "The headers are really annoying", so I'm not sure.

You will hear a lot of people say "No way, Jose!" I think they've had cheap headers and the thin flanges warped and let the gaskets leak. I didn't have any trouble with the L&L's on Big Blue, probably because of the 1/2" thick flange.

But, I've not run this new set yet, so can't say about them.

If you are asking whether to go with long-tubes or not, I'll say yes. But you said "The headers are really annoying", so I'm not sure.

You will hear a lot of people say "No way, Jose!" I think they've had cheap headers and the thin flanges warped and let the gaskets leak. I didn't have any trouble with the L&L's on Big Blue, probably because of the 1/2" thick flange.

But, I've not run this new set yet, so can't say about them.

Ah, sorry. I should have said the headers on Espy now are short and twisty. They are a pain to work around and don't look great.

I like the look of long headers and stainless steel, but I have never bought/installed such before and looking for recommendations. I will look in to L&L's, are they just headers?

What other brands are worth investigating?

Ah, sorry. I should have said the headers on Espy now are short and twisty. They are a pain to work around and don't look great.

I like the look of long headers and stainless steel, but I have never bought/installed such before and looking for recommendations. I will look in to L&L's, are they just headers?

What other brands are worth investigating?

L&L is a company that specializes in 460 conversions.

They sell headers, engine swap mounts, unique flywheels, alternator mounts, etc..

351 Windsor's are much better supported in the aftermarket.

I wouldn't begin to choose an exhaust until I had speced the engine.

You need to know your cam and redline to determine flow.

You want exhaust volume to keep heat in and velocity high.

You want a collector placed where it will optimise the cam. (Scavenging and reversion)

If you have a builder in mind, discuss your goals WRT torque and horsepower.

Ask THEM what they want to see as far as primary headpipe length and diameter.

Ask them what size and style of muffler they think best.

I've been very tempted by the stainless Shorty's coming out of China.

The flanges are thick, the welds look good, the prices are great.

L&L is a company that specializes in 460 conversions.

They sell headers, engine swap mounts, unique flywheels, alternator mounts, etc..

351 Windsor's are much better supported in the aftermarket.

I wouldn't begin to choose an exhaust until I had speced the engine.

You need to know your cam and redline to determine flow.

You want exhaust volume to keep heat in and velocity high.

You want a collector placed where it will optimise the cam. (Scavenging and reversion)

If you have a builder in mind, discuss your goals WRT torque and horsepower.

Ask THEM what they want to see as far as primary headpipe length and diameter.

Ask them what size and style of muffler they think best.

I've been very tempted by the stainless Shorty's coming out of China.

The flanges are thick, the welds look good, the prices are great.

Looks aren't all when it comes to power and reliability.

Gotcha. I will get the engine build sorted first. I was hoping to replace the failing exhaust now and deal with the engine in a few months..

Just make a few decisions about how high you're going to rev it and how loud you want it to be.

It's not too difficult.

I'd just hate to see you buy what looks pretty to you and have it be all wrong for your build.

Generally, there is a direct correlation between head pipe length and optimal rpm.

But most of us don't drive their truck at 6.000 rpm everywhere they go.

Just make a few decisions about how high you're going to rev it and how loud you want it to be.

It's not too difficult.

I'd just hate to see you buy what looks pretty to you and have it be all wrong for your build.

Generally, there is a direct correlation between head pipe length and optimal rpm.

But most of us don't drive their truck at 6.000 rpm everywhere they go.

Ok, so I know a previous owner did some engine work, not sure if it was just the intake or the cam/pistons etc.. as well.

I am not looking for a hot engine build here, actually, drivability is key, low end torque is something I like.

Espy will be a lake car, carrying paddle boards or bikes, coolers and maybe one day a small fishing boat!

I can hold off on this until the engine is being taken care of.

When that happens I will come back with more sensible questions!

Ok, so I know a previous owner did some engine work, not sure if it was just the intake or the cam/pistons etc.. as well.

I am not looking for a hot engine build here, actually, drivability is key, low end torque is something I like.

Espy will be a lake car, carrying paddle boards or bikes, coolers and maybe one day a small fishing boat!

I can hold off on this until the engine is being taken care of.

When that happens I will come back with more sensible questions!

Your questions are sensible, as are my replies.

You like the look of stainless long tubes.

Keep the diameter small and be aware of clearance to front driveshaft and transfer case.

At least you don't have to think about a slave cylinder, like Gary.

Do you think you want true duals?

Are you willing to give up that space?

Or do you just want a mellow sound and no restriction?

Given your post I'd think 2 1/2" collectors and a 3" tailpipe at most.

My 460 works well with this and a 750 CFM Holley carb.

Anything more is WAY too much on a 351 (imho)

Your questions are sensible, as are my replies.

You like the look of stainless long tubes.

Keep the diameter small and be aware of clearance to front driveshaft and transfer case.

At least you don't have to think about a slave cylinder, like Gary.

Do you think you want true duals?

Are you willing to give up that space?

Or do you just want a mellow sound and no restriction?

Given your post I'd think 2 1/2" collectors and a 3" tailpipe at most.

My 460 works well with this and a 750 CFM Holley carb.

Anything more is WAY too much on a 351 (imho)

Jim, agreed on all fronts, the joys of this forum, everyone so helpful!

I definitely like the look of dual exhausts, currently Espy has duals exiting behind the rear axle, I like that look.

Making a note on the "2 1/2" collectors and a 3" tailpipe", where do you source such items and appropriate headers?

Sorry for the dumb questions. As always I am learning as I go here, never done this stuff before.