Bullnose Forums

New Member , Just picked up a 1984 F-150 Inline 6

JG2020

Thank you for picking up on that Cory. :nabble_smiley_cool:

I think Josh is better off in your hands than mine.

Your Flareside and his Shortbed share a lot.

Wow! You guys are great! It is a non AC / 4 speed. I can take more pics of the motor tomorrow.

I am going to go over the sources area of the Forum to see where to start getting things like this stock oil cap.

So glad I found this group.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! You guys are great! It is a non AC / 4 speed. I can take more pics of the motor tomorrow.

I am going to go over the sources area of the Forum to see where to start getting things like this stock oil cap.

So glad I found this group.

Cory - Just FYI, there was an option called Hi-Lo Vent, Deluxe Heater, or Comfort Vent depending on which document you look at. I've never seen one, but it shows in the catalogs. And basically it was A/C w/o the compressor, evap, etc. But the stuff in the cab was identical save for the controls which didn't have the A/C position. However it used vacuum like the A/C system.

You are now on the map, Josh.

Yes, the loop around the exhaust is probably to heat the air for the choke. Just one of the many things you'll get to work with as you are sorting the truck out. But, it'll be worth it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Welcome!

Welcome Josh! :nabble_waving_orig:

That PCV definitely needs to be connected!

If you choose another style of aftermarket air cleaner get yourself a filtered valve breather cap.

Duct tape doesn't cut it.

The EGR spacer has been crudely plated off.

If you choose not to run one you can find a non-emissions inlet spacer to eliminate the blue painted thing.

Also, be very mindful of the screws holding the carburetor down.

They have a tendency to get loose and cause vacuum leaks.

Not only the ones holding it down but the ones holding the throttle body to the float bowl. I always used Loctite on them when rebuilding one.

Welcome, the inline 6 is a great motor.

Thanks everyone!

"The EGR spacer has been crudely plated off.

If you choose not to run one you can find a non-emissions inlet spacer to eliminate the blue painted thing"

So I can find one of these plates and remove and remount the carb I guess or get the EGR Valve?

More pics added of my "setup"

Does anyone have a suggestion for an air cleaner ? Or is that little one good enough?

Josh

IMG_20200727_095408.thumb.jpg.8ed92086effa6c6ff877e096e85a8670.jpg

IMG_20200727_095220.thumb.jpg.1255eeac14a66f2bc6f9160aa9458d1a.jpg

IMG_20200727_095216.jpg.d11a20a0d6c9ed6756b4ee99cc8d74ea.jpg

IMG_20200727_095154.jpg.d09e2596e9f6911dec4d201d243dfd13.jpg

IMG_20200727_095146.jpg.1f2bf057f6b5336e9329e1c8b8c692a1.jpg

Thanks everyone!

"The EGR spacer has been crudely plated off.

If you choose not to run one you can find a non-emissions inlet spacer to eliminate the blue painted thing"

So I can find one of these plates and remove and remount the carb I guess or get the EGR Valve?

More pics added of my "setup"

Does anyone have a suggestion for an air cleaner ? Or is that little one good enough?

Josh

I would think the climate near Philadelphia would require a factory style air cleaner in winter.

There's just no way your truck could run well year round with a tiny open element like that.

I also see a square coil and no vacuum advance on the distributor.

This suggests to me that computer controlled timing is always going to be compromised.

You really need to complete the conversion, or somehow source all the EEC IV components that have been stripped.

Or you might go with an 'all-in-one' style HEI distributor and remove the computer and harness.

David is magic when it comes to finding things (like an air cleaner) on eBay.

I would think the climate near Philadelphia would require a factory style air cleaner in winter.

There's just no way your truck could run well year round with a tiny open element like that.

I also see a square coil and no vacuum advance on the distributor.

This suggests to me that computer controlled timing is always going to be compromised.

You really need to complete the conversion, or somehow source all the EEC IV components that have been stripped.

Or you might go with an 'all-in-one' style HEI distributor and remove the computer and harness.

David is magic when it comes to finding things (like an air cleaner) on eBay.

I agree - you want the complete factory air cleaner system. Go read the page at Documention/Fuel Systems/Air Cleaners for an explanation of what we are talking about.

And Jim is right - w/o the full conversion from TFI to DS-II and the removal of the EEC system your timing is going to be static. No advance.

Or, you can go back to the full emissions system. But there is no halfway.