Bullnose Forums

New Member , Just picked up a 1984 F-150 Inline 6

JG2020

Hi all,

Jut picked this up last week. Same year I got out of H.S. Looking forward to learning about this truck and working on it. It already has a ton of new parts installed and the body is in good shape. It's a Mississippi truck and their is no real rust anywhere. It's in NJ now!

It runs good and I am doing whatever else it needs to make it as perfect as I can.

First issue I have is the jankity air cleaner and a carb that looks like it's missing a vacuum hose ?

I have attached pics of my new baby and the suspect carb and aircleaner.

I picked up a couple of shop manuals on E-Bay and waiting for them to arrive.

Any info appreciated.

Happy to find this group!

Thanks,

Josh

IMG_20200726_160354.jpg.6903d1b42a08fd1492fbc14589a82698.jpg

IMG_20200726_160343.jpg.e6132718f8d647647981d64114c9805d.jpgIMG_20200726_160340.jpg.682786a71def0bfc8d4413cd2b502e4f.jpg

F150_1.jpg.be684c99dc3eb539e00b5980d29cb64e.jpg

F-150_4.jpg.987529386f060eb10ae578c643029c35.jpg

F-150_3_-_Copy.jpg.a1be7218fb679576c960249d1dcea7f5.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice truck Josh. I love the short wheel base trucks and I love the pin stripes outlining the panels...very cool design.

I am also curious what the barb is for (the one just below the air cleaner).

Looks like maybe you're also missing the vacuum advance line as well?

Nice truck Josh. I love the short wheel base trucks and I love the pin stripes outlining the panels...very cool design.

I am also curious what the barb is for (the one just below the air cleaner).

Looks like maybe you're also missing the vacuum advance line as well?

Thanks! Yep, some mysteries there for sure. I have not really touched it yet. Just about a 20 min drive. Hence the new front shocks sitting in a box in my dining room. ( :

I am waiting for the shop manuals to dig in. First thing is to change the oil. Every other tune-up part is basically new.

I am a pretty decent mechanic but most of my die hard experience is old aircooled VW's.

I have not had an old truck since the 90's

A 73 F-100 and a 72 Intl Harvester. Wish I had them both still!

Josh

Welcome! What part of NJ? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we could put you on if we had a town or zip.

Nice truck! And, that's a great engine. But the barb on the top of the carb looks like it is for filtered air to go down through the heater loop through the exhaust manifold and then to the choke.

Here's your pic blown up so I can see what's hooked to the carb. And I can't tell from this side.

IMG_20200726_160354.jpg.950a5c623d676b7fc16514c69d889d3d.jpg

Welcome! What part of NJ? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we could put you on if we had a town or zip.Nice truck! And, that's a great engine. But the barb on the top of the carb looks like it is for filtered air to go down through the heater loop through the exhaust manifold and then to the choke.Here's your pic blown up so I can see what's hooked to the carb. And I can't tell from this side.
Thanks Gary! I pretty much know nothing about this motor yet . There was a new exhaust installed and I saw some tubing looped around it. That's prob the heater loop you are talking about? I guess I need  to see some pics from the manuals.  I can take some more pics of the motor also. 

I am in Lambertville , NJ. Right on the Delaware river and PA border. 

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 5:29 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

Welcome Josh! :nabble_waving_orig:

That PCV definitely needs to be connected!

If you choose another style of aftermarket air cleaner get yourself a filtered valve breather cap.

Duct tape doesn't cut it.

The EGR spacer has been crudely plated off.

If you choose not to run one you can find a non-emissions inlet spacer to eliminate the blue painted thing.

Also, be very mindful of the screws holding the carburetor down.

They have a tendency to get loose and cause vacuum leaks.

Welcome Josh! :nabble_waving_orig:

That PCV definitely needs to be connected!

If you choose another style of aftermarket air cleaner get yourself a filtered valve breather cap.

Duct tape doesn't cut it.

The EGR spacer has been crudely plated off.

If you choose not to run one you can find a non-emissions inlet spacer to eliminate the blue painted thing.

Also, be very mindful of the screws holding the carburetor down.

They have a tendency to get loose and cause vacuum leaks.

Thank you Jim!

I was wondering what that blue thing was. I would like to keep it as stock as possible.

Just need some pics to see what is what. I would love to find the stock air cleaner or repro.

So that blue plate with the 2 bolts is sealing that port off and an EGR valve is supposed to go there?

Thanks for the carb tip. I will check that out tomorrow.

Josh

Thank you Jim!

I was wondering what that blue thing was. I would like to keep it as stock as possible.

Just need some pics to see what is what. I would love to find the stock air cleaner or repro.

So that blue plate with the 2 bolts is sealing that port off and an EGR valve is supposed to go there?

Thanks for the carb tip. I will check that out tomorrow.

Josh

Beneath your carburetor it looks like the vacuum tree is entirely capped off, except for the brake booster.

I'd expect in '84 you need vacuum for climate control and the distributor.

Even though I'm on my phone I can pick some things out.

Is it possible to show the left (drivers) side of the engine?

I am no 300 I-6 expert, but we have plenty of very knowledgeable folks onboard here. :nabble_smiley_good:

Only if the truck has A/C...otherwise no vacuum required for the regular heater.

It looks like it is a 4spd also, so no vacuum required for the trans.

I'm guessing that this thing did have a feedback carb on it, and it was converted over.

Lots of wiring hanging back there...

Only if the truck has A/C...otherwise no vacuum required for the regular heater.

It looks like it is a 4spd also, so no vacuum required for the trans.

I'm guessing that this thing did have a feedback carb on it, and it was converted over.

Lots of wiring hanging back there...

Thank you for picking up on that Cory. :nabble_smiley_cool:

I think Josh is better off in your hands than mine.

Your Flareside and his Shortbed share a lot.