Bullnose Forums

Starting issues

Was the battery cable on top of them or beneath them?

Have you tried touching the battery cable to the starter cable on the other stud?

I tried touching the battery cable to the starter cable side and got nothing. The wires were attached to the relay with the two with the fuseable links first, then the battery. Is there a possibility that those fuseable links went bad?

I tried touching the battery cable to the starter cable side and got nothing. The wires were attached to the relay with the two with the fuseable links first, then the battery. Is there a possibility that those fuseable links went bad?

If you say touching the battery positive and starter cables did nothing then either the starter or battery ground to the block is bad or disconnected.

You've taken everything else out of the system.

The fusible link eyelets could have welded together if the battery positive had to flow through them.

But I have a really hard time seeing how that could happen.

If you say touching the battery positive and starter cables did nothing then either the starter or battery ground to the block is bad or disconnected.

You've taken everything else out of the system.

The fusible link eyelets could have welded together if the battery positive had to flow through them.

But I have a really hard time seeing how that could happen.

Those will be tomorrow projects. I've been out in 95 degree weather all day, I'm beat.

In your first post you say you have changed all the components in the loop.

I assume you changed them because the starter wasn't working before?

But when you try these things (jumping the S terminal with a screwdriver, touching the cables directly together) you have no response at all?

You don't hear anything? See any sparks or smoke?

You obviously have good power going to the cab.

Power windows take considerable current.

In your first post you say you have changed all the components in the loop.

I assume you changed them because the starter wasn't working before?

But when you try these things (jumping the S terminal with a screwdriver, touching the cables directly together) you have no response at all?

You don't hear anything? See any sparks or smoke?

You obviously have good power going to the cab.

Power windows take considerable current.

Sounds like it's time to pull the starter and take it in to your local auto parts store for testing.

Sounds like it's time to pull the starter and take it in to your local auto parts store for testing.

I'd say that too Scott.

But I'm trying to understand why it was doing this before invisible man changed every component of the starting system...

I mean if the battery, cables, relay and starter are all 'new' as stated, and he still can't get the relay to click, or the starter to turn when the cables are connected directly what's left?

It's obviously not a fault of the NSS or ignition switch.

I could see a faulty relay or it's not grounded well to the fender, that's not inconceivable.

But if you have lights and power windows in the cab but when you touch the starter cable with the battery positive and get 'nothing' something very odd is going on.

Even if the engine were seized or hydrolocked you'd get sparks and the starter struggling.

I'd say that too Scott.

But I'm trying to understand why it was doing this before invisible man changed every component of the starting system...

I mean if the battery, cables, relay and starter are all 'new' as stated, and he still can't get the relay to click, or the starter to turn when the cables are connected directly what's left?

It's obviously not a fault of the NSS or ignition switch.

I could see a faulty relay or it's not grounded well to the fender, that's not inconceivable.

But if you have lights and power windows in the cab but when you touch the starter cable with the battery positive and get 'nothing' something very odd is going on.

Even if the engine were seized or hydrolocked you'd get sparks and the starter struggling.

I agree Jim. I would definitely expect something to happen when touching the battery cable to the starter. My only guess at this point would be something in the starter is fried so the positive lug is completely isolated.

I agree Jim. I would definitely expect something to happen when touching the battery cable to the starter. My only guess at this point would be something in the starter is fried so the positive lug is completely isolated.

But the one before this, AND the new one???

I can't make it add up.

But the one before this, AND the new one???

I can't make it add up.

It does seem like that would be inconceivable(!).

I see Steve mentioned earlier about using jumper cables to directly ground one of the starter mounting bolts to the battery. Was that tried?

It does seem like that would be inconceivable(!).

I see Steve mentioned earlier about using jumper cables to directly ground one of the starter mounting bolts to the battery. Was that tried?

I think it needs to be tried.

But if:

A) the relay won't pull in.

B) the ground cable has just been changed (assuming it's tight) then I suspect something else is afoot.

What that could be is beyond me with the information presented.