Bullnose Forums

A/C compressor connector - how to disconnect?

That is not a Ford OEM compressor, it is probably a Chinese knock-off and only uses the rear ports into the manifolds. Here are some pictures of the FS6 I removed from Darth when I changed things to go to EFI.

Yeah, my original compressor is a genuine one.

I'm thinking maybe they block those ports deliberately and maybe it is fine. Perhaps for efficiency?

Yeah, my original compressor is a genuine one.

I'm thinking maybe they block those ports deliberately and maybe it is fine. Perhaps for efficiency?

Perhaps because it is a different style compressor. The FS6 is a six cylinder axial unit with 3 double ended pistons and two ends that are basically mirror images. The new one looks like it might be a scroll compressor, they use less power to run is the logic behind them. Where did you buy it, my Taurus ate it's FS10 recently and I am going to need to replace it.

Perhaps because it is a different style compressor. The FS6 is a six cylinder axial unit with 3 double ended pistons and two ends that are basically mirror images. The new one looks like it might be a scroll compressor, they use less power to run is the logic behind them. Where did you buy it, my Taurus ate it's FS10 recently and I am going to need to replace it.

Rock Auto. I am going to use it. I am pretty sure they blocked it for a good reason. Otherwise it is identical to my ford one.

Rock Auto. I am going to use it. I am pretty sure they blocked it for a good reason. Otherwise it is identical to my ford one.

Have the link?

I bought a new Murray (4seasons) from O'Reilly's and both ports were open like stock. Maybe yours isn't an fs6?

Take a good look at the pictures I posted, that is a 1986 FS6 casing splits in the center and has a drive end head and closed head. Your new one has a single head on the back. It is someone else's compressor made to fit in place of the FS6. Here is the FS6 labeled:

IMGP0794a.thumb.jpg.54cc7a7292f6a4342ef0bac0ac034f8a.jpg

Have the link?

I bought a new Murray (4seasons) from O'Reilly's and both ports were open like stock. Maybe yours isn't an fs6?

I will double check but it is literally identical to the ford one I took out.

Rock auto usually gives pictures of the various ones available

I will double check but it is literally identical to the ford one I took out.

Rock auto usually gives pictures of the various ones available

I am looking at Rock Auto's pictures and the UAC and GPD look like what you have. the GPD says "FS6 style", UAC just claims it is an FS6. Your original picture asking about the connector looks like my old FS6.

I am looking at Rock Auto's pictures and the UAC and GPD look like what you have. the GPD says "FS6 style", UAC just claims it is an FS6. Your original picture asking about the connector looks like my old FS6.

Sometimes I look on car-part.com to see what variables made for different parts.

With this compressor the choices included tecumseh, hang on type, integral 6 cylinder, and integral 8 cylinder

Sometimes I look on car-part.com to see what variables made for different parts.

With this compressor the choices included tecumseh, hang on type, integral 6 cylinder, and integral 8 cylinder

Does your new one have the pigtail for the connector instead of it being right at the clutch?

I originally looked at the RA ones but never noticed them being different (until Bill pointed them out now) beyond the pigtail.

That's interesting.

Bill - what impact would the closed ports have? I know you said less power usage but what about cooling?

Does your new one have the pigtail for the connector instead of it being right at the clutch?

I originally looked at the RA ones but never noticed them being different (until Bill pointed them out now) beyond the pigtail.

That's interesting.

Bill - what impact would the closed ports have? I know you said less power usage but what about cooling?

It does.

I will shoot some pics tomorrow and post