Bullnose Forums

Factory Radio restoration and Modification by Nick

But not today. It's dismal, rainy and windy.

This is the third day in a row for rain. It has been off and on, but mostly on. However it started in earnest last night and rained literally all night. And still raining. Awaiting the light of day to see how far out of its banks the creek on the back of the property is. And it is "up to" 43 degrees.

So no way I've had the truck out for a bit. But if I get the doors finished tomorrow maybe we can take it for a ride on Saturday when the weather is supposed to be dry and in the 60's. Maybe get to listen to the 6.5's in the dampened doors.

So no way I've had the truck out for a bit. But if I get the doors finished tomorrow maybe we can take it for a ride on Saturday when the weather is supposed to be dry and in the 60's. Maybe get to listen to the 6.5's in the dampened doors.

Take Janey to Ron's for a chili-cheeseburger with homemade fries! Ummm! :nabble_smiley_wink:

Take Janey to Ron's for a chili-cheeseburger with homemade fries! Ummm! :nabble_smiley_wink:

Lol!!!! We are standing in line to vote literally across the street from Ron’s and as I pulled this up Janey said “A bowl of Ron’s chili sure would be nice!”

My Sony speakers have been in the doors for several years and aren't rusted nor otherwise damaged by rain - unlike the Edelbrock intake that was corroded from the daily rain in Florida. So I'm not seeing the need for the Boom Mats. Just thought I'd ask.

Gary. i just read a question you asked me a few posts back about putting the 6x9's that are already in your doors where they are located in Brutus. Yes by all means if you want to cut it, 6x9'ssound great in those doors for some reason. As far as the vent at the bottom, i can check to see if they are intact, but you are welcome to the door pockets from the parts truck, they fit right in

Gary. i just read a question you asked me a few posts back about putting the 6x9's that are already in your doors where they are located in Brutus. Yes by all means if you want to cut it, 6x9'ssound great in those doors for some reason. As far as the vent at the bottom, i can check to see if they are intact, but you are welcome to the door pockets from the parts truck, they fit right in

George - Thanks for the offer on the door pockets. My doors don't have any vents so I'd have to cut them to use your pockets, but then I'd have to reinforce the door as I'm afraid that would take out some strength.

However, I'd probably almost for sure want to cut the tweeter out as it doesn't make sense to have the highs coming out down there.

As for installing the 6x9's where they are on Brutus, I looked at doing that and it would really take a lot of cutting and I don't want to do that. Instead I'll try the 6 1/2"s in the doors and see how they sound. And then consider placing the 6x9's in the lower part of the door as well.

Do you have a picture showing where the vent is in your door? I mean the metal part of the door where you'll put the 6x9? I want to see what is there in my door to make sure there won't be interference.

George - Thanks for the offer on the door pockets. My doors don't have any vents so I'd have to cut them to use your pockets, but then I'd have to reinforce the door as I'm afraid that would take out some strength.

However, I'd probably almost for sure want to cut the tweeter out as it doesn't make sense to have the highs coming out down there.

As for installing the 6x9's where they are on Brutus, I looked at doing that and it would really take a lot of cutting and I don't want to do that. Instead I'll try the 6 1/2"s in the doors and see how they sound. And then consider placing the 6x9's in the lower part of the door as well.

Do you have a picture showing where the vent is in your door? I mean the metal part of the door where you'll put the 6x9? I want to see what is there in my door to make sure there won't be interference.

Gary,

Aren't there specific places moulded right in to your highliner for speakers?

I'm not sure why I'd want a speaker firing at the side of my seat.

Gary,

Aren't there specific places moulded right in to your highliner for speakers?

I'm not sure why I'd want a speaker firing at the side of my seat.

Jim - Yes, there are places molded into the Highliner, but they are for 4" speakers, which will be the upper midrange and tweeters. But George and I are talking about the possible inclusion of 6x9's in the door for bass.

I'm not quite sure where the vent is in the '87 and later doors, but IIRC it is in towards the rear of the door. The pic below shows a possible place to put a 6x9. But the horizontal line near the top of the center circle is my best measurement on where the bottom of the window is. And the circle is the magnet, which protrudes 3" from the mounting surface. But the window is only 2 1/2" inside the door.

So that mounting position is suspect. And it assumes that the '87 door pockets would clear the speaker if it is mounted to the outside of the inner sheet metal of the door.

But if it would work there's ~4" from the inside edge of the door to the fabric of the seat. Obviously that's not ideal.

Now to work on the door lock linkage as I just got "locked out". Luckily the window was open, so I stood on the step bar, reached the inside door handle and bolt laying on the floor, re-attached it to the release mechanism, and was able to get it to open. Just. The rod that pushes the lock open bowed pretty badly. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Possible_Place_For_6x9_Speaker.thumb.jpg.77b6d62d9fb6592a2ba6478d61a1225f.jpg

Jim - Yes, there are places molded into the Highliner, but they are for 4" speakers, which will be the upper midrange and tweeters. But George and I are talking about the possible inclusion of 6x9's in the door for bass.

I'm not quite sure where the vent is in the '87 and later doors, but IIRC it is in towards the rear of the door. The pic below shows a possible place to put a 6x9. But the horizontal line near the top of the center circle is my best measurement on where the bottom of the window is. And the circle is the magnet, which protrudes 3" from the mounting surface. But the window is only 2 1/2" inside the door.

So that mounting position is suspect. And it assumes that the '87 door pockets would clear the speaker if it is mounted to the outside of the inner sheet metal of the door.

But if it would work there's ~4" from the inside edge of the door to the fabric of the seat. Obviously that's not ideal.

Now to work on the door lock linkage as I just got "locked out". Luckily the window was open, so I stood on the step bar, reached the inside door handle and bolt laying on the floor, re-attached it to the release mechanism, and was able to get it to open. Just. The rod that pushes the lock open bowed pretty badly. :nabble_smiley_oh:

I tell you what.... when it dries up and I go to cut out the Boom Mats I'll take pictures with a tape measure showing the vents, door pockets, and anything else you like.

There's a good reason to use the mounting collars that come with the speakers.

So the magnets don't bottom out inside the doors.

I may well have the ones from mine, because I mounted them directly to the front of the box behind my seat.

There is a photo of the vent in this thread on FTE

Personally I wouldn't consider cutting into the door. Why not put a low profile all-in-one sub (or 4 :nabble_smiley_wink:) under the bench? I am really happy with the Kicker 11HS8.