Bullnose Forums

Factory Radio restoration and Modification by Nick

George/Nick - How much better are the Polk DB652's than these Sony speakers that are already in Big Blue?

I'm sure the Sony speakers are absolutely entry level, but thought I'd better ask before I buy the Polks.

Gary, some of he Sony xplod stuff is very very good. the amp design in the ranchero is a modified xplod. I would probably say on a compareable level. This i do know, Polk is noted for bass, Sony, not so much, but none of the xplod series was designed by Sony. I know the xplod amps and head units are very very good, so i see no reason the speakers wouldn't be either

Gary, some of he Sony xplod stuff is very very good. the amp design in the ranchero is a modified xplod. I would probably say on a compareable level. This i do know, Polk is noted for bass, Sony, not so much, but none of the xplod series was designed by Sony. I know the xplod amps and head units are very very good, so i see no reason the speakers wouldn't be either

Thanks, George. What I'll do is once I get the doors lined with sound deadening I'll put the Sony 6 1/2's back in and go for a ride to see what they sound like. It is now cold enough we can drive with the windows up as I don't have the A/C going yet, and that will let us see how the system sounds.

Do you recommend using speaker baffles? If so, what about doing what Crutchfield recommends? "In many applications we recommend that you cut a hole in the bottom of the baffle, or remove the entire bottom of the baffle, to maintain good bass response while still protecting your speaker from dirt and water damage."

Thanks, George. What I'll do is once I get the doors lined with sound deadening I'll put the Sony 6 1/2's back in and go for a ride to see what they sound like. It is now cold enough we can drive with the windows up as I don't have the A/C going yet, and that will let us see how the system sounds.

Do you recommend using speaker baffles? If so, what about doing what Crutchfield recommends? "In many applications we recommend that you cut a hole in the bottom of the baffle, or remove the entire bottom of the baffle, to maintain good bass response while still protecting your speaker from dirt and water damage."

Yea i hear ya. we are having a cold front this weekend, I can finally polish out Brutus without having the polish dry as soon as i put it on the truck in the shade.

I have the Boom Mats in my doors Gary, even though the Polks are marine rated speakers.

It will keep rust from sticking to the magnets and getting in the coils.

I guess I should read the instructions, because nothing that came with them said to cut out the bottom for better bass.

I have the Boom Mats in my doors Gary, even though the Polks are marine rated speakers.

It will keep rust from sticking to the magnets and getting in the coils.

I guess I should read the instructions, because nothing that came with them said to cut out the bottom for better bass.

Jim - I doubt the manufacturer would tell you to cut them up. But the instructions I posted are from Crutchfield.

And it makes sense. The Boom Mats, and all the others surely, have a tiny volume. Far smaller than what a 6 1/2" speaker needs in an enclosure. And while they aren't sealed, the foam will impede the sound waves and act like a small enclosure.

So I'm sure Crutchfield's instructions are the right approach.

Jim - I doubt the manufacturer would tell you to cut them up. But the instructions I posted are from Crutchfield.

And it makes sense. The Boom Mats, and all the others surely, have a tiny volume. Far smaller than what a 6 1/2" speaker needs in an enclosure. And while they aren't sealed, the foam will impede the sound waves and act like a small enclosure.

So I'm sure Crutchfield's instructions are the right approach.

you need free air behind the cone for any kind of bass. these days, most aftermarket systems utilize subs inwhich case in theory, you would not want to cut it. Definately cut it. It is going to act just like those carpet speaker cozies they used to put behind the speakers back in the day. In all my years of speaker building and reasearch, this has never made any sense to me in any way shape or form.. even using a sub, it restricts the natural action and upper/mid bass of a speaker, and no matter what configuration you will use, you will end up with a hole in the sound. But again, guys, this is me, the picky one. LOL

you need free air behind the cone for any kind of bass. these days, most aftermarket systems utilize subs inwhich case in theory, you would not want to cut it. Definately cut it. It is going to act just like those carpet speaker cozies they used to put behind the speakers back in the day. In all my years of speaker building and reasearch, this has never made any sense to me in any way shape or form.. even using a sub, it restricts the natural action and upper/mid bass of a speaker, and no matter what configuration you will use, you will end up with a hole in the sound. But again, guys, this is me, the picky one. LOL

Better sound for free is always a good thing. :nabble_smiley_good:

But not today. It's dismal, rainy and windy.

My Sony speakers have been in the doors for several years and aren't rusted nor otherwise damaged by rain - unlike the Edelbrock intake that was corroded from the daily rain in Florida. So I'm not seeing the need for the Boom Mats. Just thought I'd ask.

My Sony speakers have been in the doors for several years and aren't rusted nor otherwise damaged by rain - unlike the Edelbrock intake that was corroded from the daily rain in Florida. So I'm not seeing the need for the Boom Mats. Just thought I'd ask.

I think one of their points is that the speaker frame cannot rattle against the mounting surface, but in my case there's always water and rust in the door (as you've seen)

Keeping the speakers dry and free of iron isn't a bad thing. 💡