Bullnose Forums

Timing Cover Gasket Replacement

So, between last night and the night before, I got the timing cover, harmonic balancer, and water pump on. When I disassembled everything, I bagged all bolts and labeled them. Apparently, I mislabeled the two upper bolts that go into the top of the timing cover. In the process, could not figure out why these two bolts, which I just knew came out of there, would not go back in. And, because you can't see directly in there, I wasted a lot of time trying to make them fit. Frustrated, I grabbed up a mirror and a light and quickly realized that the bolts were too big. Was not happy in regards to my stupidity. Aside from that, the cover went on well. Hopefull, it won't leak.

As I posted a query on this, I wanted to leave some brief details on installing the timing chain cover with the oil pan still on the engine. Basically, the cork gaskets and the front pan seal are installed on the cover. Front pan seal goes on cover first, then the cork gaskets go on with the cork tab inserted inside the recess of the pan seal. The cork gaskets need trimming both at the area of the tab and where it meets up at the back of the cover where it seals against the engine. I used some Edelbrock high tack cement to hold down the cork gaskets and of course RTV in the usual spots. See photos.

Glad it all worked out for you! :nabble_smiley_good:

My method to keep the bolts organized is to take a Sharpie and make a crude sketch of the water pump on the inside of its box.

Then I cut a slit at each bolt location and stick them through the box as I take them out.

I may not be able to remember what length goes where, but I can't mix them up this way.

• 2 years later...

So, between last night and the night before, I got the timing cover, harmonic balancer, and water pump on. When I disassembled everything, I bagged all bolts and labeled them. Apparently, I mislabeled the two upper bolts that go into the top of the timing cover. In the process, could not figure out why these two bolts, which I just knew came out of there, would not go back in. And, because you can't see directly in there, I wasted a lot of time trying to make them fit. Frustrated, I grabbed up a mirror and a light and quickly realized that the bolts were too big. Was not happy in regards to my stupidity. Aside from that, the cover went on well. Hopefull, it won't leak.

As I posted a query on this, I wanted to leave some brief details on installing the timing chain cover with the oil pan still on the engine. Basically, the cork gaskets and the front pan seal are installed on the cover. Front pan seal goes on cover first, then the cork gaskets go on with the cork tab inserted inside the recess of the pan seal. The cork gaskets need trimming both at the area of the tab and where it meets up at the back of the cover where it seals against the engine. I used some Edelbrock high tack cement to hold down the cork gaskets and of course RTV in the usual spots. See photos.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n67873/Gasket0.jpg

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n67873/Gasket1.jpg

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n67873/Gasket2.jpg

This thread is helpful. Thank you. I am about to head into this uncharted territory—for me at least. I already have a pan that is sealed using Milodon. I dread taking the cover off, but it must be done (stripped bolt braze on).