Bullnose Forums

1980 F150 4x4 Flareside Project

Rembrant

How are you planning on converting the column? I "converted" my automatic column, but the shift collar still moves a bit since it's not solid mounted to the column. Are you gonna tack it from below to keep it from moving?

I was planning to strip the shifter and everything out of the column. I actually have the plastic collar from a floor shift manual trans steering column, and it screws in place. I haven't done that part before, so I'm hoping it fits in there OK. On the bottom end of the column (in the engine bay) I'll simply wrap a piece of thin sheet metal over the hole where the shift lever sticks out. Pop rivet it in place on the back side where you can't see them, and spray paint black.

I did the same...sort of, with my three-on-the-tree column. It is basically the same as an auto trans column. Anyway, the sheet metal on the bottom end worked perfectly. For the shift collar, I cut the boss off where the shifter handle used to attach, and I filled it with epoxy and smoothed it down. It can still turn, but it doesn't move that I'm aware of.

I've basically done the same with mine then. But my obsession with staying OEM is bothering me and I want my column to be an original manual column. I have everything I need except the part where the ignition cylinder goes. I found a NOS one, to the tune of $600. :nabble_smiley_hurt: More than likely I'll have to modify the automatic "collar" to work with the key release that I'd like to utilize for originality's sake.

The stores finally re-opened here today, but I was out of luck in getting a new water pump. I checked and there were none in-stock in the whole city. The pump is specific to 1983-1986, so I guess would be a very low usage item around here these days. Coming from the warehouse in NB and will be here on Wednesday. Bugger. I was wanting to install it today. Shocking price differences...which drives me nuts. The pumps are between $25-$35 CDN on Rock Auto (Maybe $18 bucks USD?). Local auto parts shops, $61 dollars for a new pump (Reman was $59 and change). Anyway, enough whining...lol.

I got the 1994 2 core rad installed in the 1980 core support...not sure how close it will come to the fan, but man it sure looks like it will be too close. I'm waiting until I get the new pump and thermostat housing on before I re-install the core support and grill, etc.

Still not sure what to do about the fuel line. Any suggestions? I guess I can buy a roll of 5/16" steel tubing and bend and flare it, but the roll is $40 bucks which I didn't want to spend. 5/16" hose would likely be $10, but then I need to find a way to connect it at the pump.

Anyway, all else is good. I got the passenger side wiring all re-attached. Will do driver's side tomorrow, and I plan to fill the trans fluid and install a new shifter kit in the 5spd (the seal and bushings at the top where the shifter stub is).

Wednesday my new clutch master cylinder and hydraulic line arrive, so I'll be doing some firewall work and swapping in the manual pedal box, and doing some conversion work on the auto steering column.

Hoping to try and flash this thing up by the weekend and see if it will even run at all. Fingers crossed.

Buy a roll of NiCopp brake line from Amazon.

They have lengths from 10' and up.

It's easy to flare and good for 6,000 psi.

I've basically done the same with mine then. But my obsession with staying OEM is bothering me and I want my column to be an original manual column. I have everything I need except the part where the ignition cylinder goes. I found a NOS one, to the tune of $600. :nabble_smiley_hurt: More than likely I'll have to modify the automatic "collar" to work with the key release that I'd like to utilize for originality's sake.

So I got my column swap done today. I've had these darn Bullnose columns apart so many times now I swear I could do it with my eyes closed. Anyway, I didn't document all that much, but I had saved the plastic collar from a floor shift manual that I grabbed out of an '86 at the junkyard a couple years ago.

IMG_3422.jpg.618050e3b60a007a77059442bb03481a.jpg

IMG_3424.jpg.799d82d8019d0c78a167810928664bb2.jpg

Auto collar and manual (floor shift) collars side by side:

IMG_3425.jpg.09b0779d3c6c0d85e75ad038ed4f75cf.jpg

IMG_3426.jpg.e1824cf38e7a3a1afe8446fad6e60f20.jpg

Only glitch was that the manual collar has three screw tabs, and there was only enough room to use two. It's still fine, so I'm not worried. Second glitch is that someday somebody will realize that the key release button is not there...lol. Oh well.

All finished and ready to re-install. Nobody will know the difference.

IMG_3428.jpg.a4b91332f13c8dd812536e8671c8ed14.jpg

Leftover autotragic parts:

IMG_3427.jpg.15c6721ac52f3adb7cd91faef9c00152.jpg

I also made a nice firewall brace for the hydraulic clutch master today which I will show some pics of tomorrow. I'll get all of that installed tomorrow as well as a hydraulic pedal set, and the steering column.

Getting close to turning this old pig over!!

So I got my column swap done today. I've had these darn Bullnose columns apart so many times now I swear I could do it with my eyes closed. Anyway, I didn't document all that much, but I had saved the plastic collar from a floor shift manual that I grabbed out of an '86 at the junkyard a couple years ago.

Auto collar and manual (floor shift) collars side by side:

Only glitch was that the manual collar has three screw tabs, and there was only enough room to use two. It's still fine, so I'm not worried. Second glitch is that someday somebody will realize that the key release button is not there...lol. Oh well.

All finished and ready to re-install. Nobody will know the difference.

Leftover autotragic parts:

I also made a nice firewall brace for the hydraulic clutch master today which I will show some pics of tomorrow. I'll get all of that installed tomorrow as well as a hydraulic pedal set, and the steering column.

Getting close to turning this old pig over!!

Looking good! But I can't wait for the startup! :nabble_anim_jump:

Looking good! But I can't wait for the startup! :nabble_anim_jump:

Me too, Gary! Fingers crossed. Engine history unknown. Last running when, unknown...lol.

Another couple days of wrenching and she'll be ready to flash up.

Looks good Cory! Can a column be disassembled far enough to reach these parts with the column still installed in the truck? I'd rather not pull the column again. Haha.

Random thought, but I turned my old autotragic shift tube into a torque multiplier for my 1/2" breaker bar. lol.

Looks good Cory! Can a column be disassembled far enough to reach these parts with the column still installed in the truck? I'd rather not pull the column again. Haha.

Random thought, but I turned my old autotragic shift tube into a torque multiplier for my 1/2" breaker bar. lol.

Shaun,

The manual collar can be swapped in with the column installed for sure. Not sure about removing the long shifter tube though I think the column would have to be out for that.

I forgot to say I'm curious how you did the brace. I'll be patiently awaiting the explanation and pics. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Gary,

It’s not pretty but it’s functional and used materials on hand. The firewall needs it. It’s rusty and cracked, even though it was a mechanical linkage clutch truck originally.

3A12A01B-3182-4B40-BB26-AABF1144BDC0.jpeg.4a25b8eacd2ebfa6f85aa60c45539945.jpeg