Bullnose Forums

1980 F150 4x4 Flareside Project

Rembrant

Don't get me wrong, Cory. I think you're doing a great job! :nabble_smiley_cool:

But if you're taking it to a shop for fill and paint you might as well just run a 36 grit belt sander up and down those bed lips.

At least they will be straight, flat and scuffed to where the plastic has a tooth, or key.

I'm excited to see how the floor of the bed comes out

I'm no body man, but I agree it is looking good. I think a pro will be able to smooth it nicely. Well done!

I'm no body man, but I agree it is looking good. I think a pro will be able to smooth it nicely. Well done!

Courier just arrived with a 16 gallon side tank and sending unit. I’m getting stoked. Funny story....you know where I live, do you know where this order was shipped from??? Ontario, California...3600 miles away LOL (the other side of the continent, basically). What irks me is that this same tank, same brand, is in stock locally at the manufacturers warehouse, right here in the industrial park I work in, and I can save almost $100 buying it from a different country on the other side of the continent LOL. I do support the local auto parts shops when I can, but $100 is worth saving thank you very much.

PS: the manufacturer is a Canadian company by the way, but I’m sure this stuff is made in China.

F0329F81-60EF-4584-A2DE-38247AD8888E.jpeg.ea8f3fd3bc02e4a06a6e5e6af419d28d.jpeg

Courier just arrived with a 16 gallon side tank and sending unit. I’m getting stoked. Funny story....you know where I live, do you know where this order was shipped from??? Ontario, California...3600 miles away LOL (the other side of the continent, basically). What irks me is that this same tank, same brand, is in stock locally at the manufacturers warehouse, right here in the industrial park I work in, and I can save almost $100 buying it from a different country on the other side of the continent LOL. I do support the local auto parts shops when I can, but $100 is worth saving thank you very much.

PS: the manufacturer is a Canadian company by the way, but I’m sure this stuff is made in China.

It is pretty crazy that Spectra can sell it to Rock Auto, who can then ship it across a continent and a border, and still sell it for a hundred bucks less than you would pay direct from Spectra's warehouse.

And RA isn't in business for a loss, so think what they must be getting them for?

It is pretty crazy that Spectra can sell it to Rock Auto, who can then ship it across a continent and a border, and still sell it for a hundred bucks less than you would pay direct from Spectra's warehouse.

And RA isn't in business for a loss, so think what they must be getting them for?

Ya, local price last time I checked was $230+tax, and it was in-stock at the local warehouse. It was $104 on RockAuto, and shipping was $60, which included the shipping for the sending unit which was a separate package (Sending unit was half the cost as well). So I saved 80-100 bucks, plus the tax on that money (another 15%).

This one was a bit odd, but I ordered the exact same tank and sending unit for the other truck a couple years ago, and at that time they were shipped out of Phoenix, AZ. However, it seems like 90% of my Rock Auto orders are shipped out of Upstate NY...usually Rochester area or there abouts, so there must be some big warehouses up in that area.

Maybe things like fuel tanks are just dead stock in the southwest, and they sell them off cheap just to get rid of them??>..I dunno. Fuel tanks are a fairly common replacement item here, but I can't imagine they are in AZ and CA, are they?

Don't get me wrong, Cory. I think you're doing a great job! :nabble_smiley_cool:

But if you're taking it to a shop for fill and paint you might as well just run a 36 grit belt sander up and down those bed lips.

At least they will be straight, flat and scuffed to where the plastic has a tooth, or key.

Jim,

I don't have a belt sander, but would this B&D unit do the job OK?

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/black-decker-7-amp-3-inch-x-21-inch-dragster-belt-sander/1000162379

I've been using a flap disk on my grinder...I think 60 grit, and it is pretty aggressive as it is, but not even, obviously.

Ya, local price last time I checked was $230+tax, and it was in-stock at the local warehouse. It was $104 on RockAuto, and shipping was $60, which included the shipping for the sending unit which was a separate package (Sending unit was half the cost as well). So I saved 80-100 bucks, plus the tax on that money (another 15%).

This one was a bit odd, but I ordered the exact same tank and sending unit for the other truck a couple years ago, and at that time they were shipped out of Phoenix, AZ. However, it seems like 90% of my Rock Auto orders are shipped out of Upstate NY...usually Rochester area or there abouts, so there must be some big warehouses up in that area.

Maybe things like fuel tanks are just dead stock in the southwest, and they sell them off cheap just to get rid of them??>..I dunno. Fuel tanks are a fairly common replacement item here, but I can't imagine they are in AZ and CA, are they?

I wouldn't think there's nearly as much market, because they don't spend 3+ months a year covered in salt and slush.

But then, warehouses won't stock items that don't move... so?

Ontario, CA is popular because of its proximity to the ports of Long Beach and L.A.

LOTS of stuff shop out of there, because it's close to where the containers clear customs.

Same for Bellingham, WA.

Rotchester, too is very rustbelt. So it has railheads, empty industrial buildings, and a starving labor force.

I'm sure RA would try to ship from the closest warehouse (or the warehouse closest to the border crossing)

You see a lot of this type of synergy, where Amazon -for example- will build a fulfillment centre right next to a USPS sorting hub.

That is CRAZY!!! Yes, there is "buying locally" and then there is "needless expenditure".

That is CRAZY!!! Yes, there is "buying locally" and then there is "needless expenditure".

Well, I should note that the local price is from an auto parts store that would buy it from Spectra's local warehouse. Spectra doesn't sell retail here, so I have no choice. How much is the auto parts chain margin? It would be at least 30%, and probably more like 50%, so that accounts for much of the price difference...but still. Rock Auto might be making only 5% on it...who knows. After all, all they're doing is digitally processing the order...not physically handling anything.

Jim,

I don't have a belt sander, but would this B&D unit do the job OK?

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/black-decker-7-amp-3-inch-x-21-inch-dragster-belt-sander/1000162379

I've been using a flap disk on my grinder...I think 60 grit, and it is pretty aggressive as it is, but not even, obviously.

Cory, I wouldn't got out and buy a tool just to dress up your bed rails.

If you would be using it for other projects around the house I could definitely see investing in a useful tool.

That is an intriguing design! I've never seen a 3x21 belt sander with a tiny front wheel like that.

Usually band sanders like the Makita or Dynabrade.

I really meant to point out that you shouldn't spend a whole bunch of time with a rotary tool trying to make a linear panel flat.

Nor getting a finish that the body shop is just going to have to grind (harshly) before they add filler.

If you spent a bunch of time 'perfecting' that rail and then watched a guy attack it with a 7" 24 grit disc what would you think???

I don't work in a body shop, but I've known quite a few good bodymen, and they wouldn't apply plastic to anything with a sheen.

Cory, I wouldn't got out and buy a tool just to dress up your bed rails.

If you would be using it for other projects around the house I could definitely see investing in a useful tool.

Oh, I do have other things I can do with it...and I understand on the bed rail smoothness, I'd just like to even it out a bit more myself before I hand it off for finishing, that's all.