Bullnose Forums

1980 F150 4x4 Flareside Project

Rembrant

Looking good 👍

I did my hood by myself, hung it from the garage rafters and drove the truck under it LOL

You don't need a tank to move it. That can on the fender worked great for me as I did not want gas sitting in the tanks not knowing when the truck would be on the road and it going bad.

Dave. ----

Meant to ask you guys also...

I checked yesterday and the alternator is not charging on this old truck. It appears to be an original style 70amp alternator. Currently I believe there are only two wires attached to it. The 3rd wire I have tied up on the fender and it looks like it was for the choke on the original 302 that was in the truck.

I do have at least one spare voltage regulator kickin' around, should I swap it out first? What/where else to troubleshoot?

I checked yesterday and the alternator is not charging on this old truck. It appears to be an original style 70amp alternator. Currently I believe there are only two wires attached to it. The 3rd wire I have tied up on the fender and it looks like it was for the choke on the original 302 that was in the truck.

I do have at least one spare voltage regulator kickin' around, should I swap it out first? What/where else to troubleshoot?

It should work with only the O/LB & BK/O wires connected to the alternator. So go ahead and try the other regulator.

1985-etm-page17.thumb.jpg.a33a87a5fc374fd6e1eb35c39703e392.jpg

Be mindful that there were two ways 1G's were wired depending on ammeter or idiot light.

What is in the truck?

Be mindful that there were two ways 1G's were wired depending on ammeter or idiot light.

What is in the truck?

It came from the factory with the "Sport Instrumentation", so it has factory tach and gauges.

I charged the battery up with a bench top charger, and it was reading only 12.54v while running, and 12.75v when I shut it off...lol. The only consumer after starting it would be the DSII.

Lots of corrosion and old wires too though...but I just want to make sure the thing is a dead duck before I replace it. I'll swap out the Voltage Reg and see what happens. I'll also check the wires for continuity between the alt and the battery.

What is in the truck?

It came from the factory with the "Sport Instrumentation", so it has factory tach and gauges.

I charged the battery up with a bench top charger, and it was reading only 12.54v while running, and 12.75v when I shut it off...lol. The only consumer after starting it would be the DSII.

Lots of corrosion and old wires too though...but I just want to make sure the thing is a dead duck before I replace it. I'll swap out the Voltage Reg and see what happens. I'll also check the wires for continuity between the alt and the battery.

Maybe it doesn't want to work without the stator brought to ground?

And be sure the case of the regulator has a good ground too.

And be sure the case of the regulator has a good ground too.

/\ /\ That!

So a little news...that is probably only interesting to me...lol, but when I dragged this old 1980 F150 home there was a bunch of paperwork in it and Bill of Sale from when a guy bought it in 1995 over on Newfoundland (Island Northeast of me, where Vinny is from). Over the past couple weeks I did a little bit of digging and reaching out on Facebook and finally talked to the previous owner on the phone this afternoon.

What I was really curious about was when did the truck get swapped over to an auto with a 300 (It came new with T18 4spd and 302). Apparently the original owner was a mechanic at the Ford dealer where the truck was sold, and he swapped the T18 4spd for an auto sometime back in the early 80's because all of his driving was in the city and he didn't like the 4spd. The guy I talked to bought it in 1995, and a few years after that the truck was run dry of coolant and the 302 was fried. He said he searched all over the island and couldn't find a 302 for it, so he stuck the 300 in it. He said that the 300 didn't have any miles on it...maybe 40k miles or so. He later sold it to his nephew, at least 10 years ago and he is the one that drove it over here to NS back on the mainland. What happened after that is kind of unknown...but the nephew did drive it, at least a little bit. It must have quit for whatever reason, and was parked and turned into a parts truck. Sold to another guy for parts, and then I got it when it should have gone to the junkyard...lol.

So a little news...that is probably only interesting to me...lol, but when I dragged this old 1980 F150 home there was a bunch of paperwork in it and Bill of Sale from when a guy bought it in 1995 over on Newfoundland (Island Northeast of me, where Vinny is from). Over the past couple weeks I did a little bit of digging and reaching out on Facebook and finally talked to the previous owner on the phone this afternoon.

What I was really curious about was when did the truck get swapped over to an auto with a 300 (It came new with T18 4spd and 302). Apparently the original owner was a mechanic at the Ford dealer where the truck was sold, and he swapped the T18 4spd for an auto sometime back in the early 80's because all of his driving was in the city and he didn't like the 4spd. The guy I talked to bought it in 1995, and a few years after that the truck was run dry of coolant and the 302 was fried. He said he searched all over the island and couldn't find a 302 for it, so he stuck the 300 in it. He said that the 300 didn't have any miles on it...maybe 40k miles or so. He later sold it to his nephew, at least 10 years ago and he is the one that drove it over here to NS back on the mainland. What happened after that is kind of unknown...but the nephew did drive it, at least a little bit. It must have quit for whatever reason, and was parked and turned into a parts truck. Sold to another guy for parts, and then I got it when it should have gone to the junkyard...lol.

Interesting story. I like knowing the "back story" on things. :nabble_smiley_good:

So, nobody in Canada has a 300 but the P.O. couldn't find a 302 and decided to put a 300 in it? :nabble_anim_crazy:

The VIN must have you scratching your head more than once.