Bullnose Forums

1980 F150 4x4 Flareside Project

Rembrant

Is your reasoning for cutting the floor so that you can use the newer style shift lever? Is that because you don't have a bullnose shift lever?

Yes and yes. I don't mind cutting the floor in this truck (I already did it today). Not much sense in me trying to keep this truck original...with the 1995 chassis and all, I'll have to disclose that anyway, and I don't really have any plans for it to be a show winner. This thing is just a toy to keep me busy on the weekends. Since I had all of the original 1995 4x4 shifter and bezel, etc it was easy to do. If I had needed to buy a shifter, etc then I may have swapped it (or tried to).

Now that I think of it, I don't know if a Bullnose shifter would work. I did install the higher tunnel cover for the M5OD. I don't know if I could incorporate a 4x4 shifter into that. Anyway, the floor is already cut and the bezel installed, and it shifts fine so that is good.

I have the high flat cover on my Zf.

The older style TC shifter fits fine in there.

It's more and more a truck every weekend Cory! :nabble_anim_claps:

The CO2 helps stabilize the arc and get heat into the metal.

You can Mig steel with straight CO2 but not with straight Argon.

(That Newfie Tony Fitzpatrick, Fitziees Fabrications YouTube channel uses straight CO2....)

I have used CO2 with my MIG and it works better than flux wire but not a clean as mix Argon at least for sheet metal MIG welding.

Cory looking good.

For me when I started putting body panels back on the truck it was a big change that I got something done.

Dave ----

I like 95/5, but resort to FC if I have to work in the breeze, or need more penetration.

I think the flux keeps more heat in the work.

That, and I don't have the option for 0.035 in my MIG, only .023 and .029/30

I like 95/5, but resort to FC if I have to work in the breeze, or need more penetration.

I think the flux keeps more heat in the work.

That, and I don't have the option for 0.035 in my MIG, only .023 and .029/30

Didn't get as much done to the old 80/95 this weekend as I had planned. I spent the day yesterday working on my daily (Tacoma 4x4) and that wiped all of my energy for Saturday. Today I started working on the old 1980 core support. I suppose you southern guys won't be used to this, but a VERY common issue in the rust belt is that the bottoms of the core supports rot out (and eventually collapse), and if that doesn't happen, the core support mounts fall through the core support brackets on the frame...lol.

Anyway, I fashioned up some new "saddles" from from 16ga steel I had on hand. The other side was rotted out much worse, but I don't have much work left to get these things fastened in there and then the core support mounted in the truck.

IMG_3230.jpg.b4fe5a89182a0df5b2afbcd57f663a5d.jpg

IMG_3232.jpg.28506ca97a1cd2a213f4f795df752d0c.jpg

Did the same thing on the other side, but extended my new panel out to the end.

IMG_3236.jpg.ce8d1134e9aedf83d6595d5009b118e1.jpg

IMG_3235.jpg.c58ca62d9753659d24521701945e811a.jpg

IMG_3233.jpg.78d5cd7ef9abbe0fbeb586691a274d1e.jpg

Not exactly pretty, but they will be painted black and then sprayed with black Fluid film. Nobody will ever see them.

I have a couple other little rust holes to patch for esthetic reasons, but otherwise it will be ready to re-install.

Supposed to finally be going for my surgery at 7am on Tuesday. It has been cancelled on me twice in the past couple weeks. If they keep the schedule this time, there won't be much action on the other truck for a while.

Still, it's more a budget build up, and not a restoration.

Didn't get as much done to the old 80/95 this weekend as I had planned. I spent the day yesterday working on my daily (Tacoma 4x4) and that wiped all of my energy for Saturday. Today I started working on the old 1980 core support. I suppose you southern guys won't be used to this, but a VERY common issue in the rust belt is that the bottoms of the core supports rot out (and eventually collapse), and if that doesn't happen, the core support mounts fall through the core support brackets on the frame...lol.

Anyway, I fashioned up some new "saddles" from from 16ga steel I had on hand. The other side was rotted out much worse, but I don't have much work left to get these things fastened in there and then the core support mounted in the truck.

Not exactly pretty, but they will be painted black and then sprayed with black Fluid film. Nobody will ever see them.

I have a couple other little rust holes to patch for esthetic reasons, but otherwise it will be ready to re-install.

Supposed to finally be going for my surgery at 7am on Tuesday. It has been cancelled on me twice in the past couple weeks. If they keep the schedule this time, there won't be much action on the other truck for a while.

Your little 'saddles' are a great compliment to Framesavers Cory! :nabble_smiley_cool:

Now that I've been playing with SS wire in my little flux core I can see making some that will likely not rot out in my lifetime.

But my core support is "newer" and while not rotten I did find dozens of spot welds blown out and corners torn.

I don't know if that was due to my cab mounts being shot, the Taiwanese replacement being sub-par, or both. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

I like your approach and wish you the best with your surgery. :nabble_smiley_good:

Your little 'saddles' are a great compliment to Framesavers Cory! :nabble_smiley_cool:

Well, I'm trying to build this truck as cheaply as possible...lol, so one has to get creative. When I fixed up my '84, I found at that time that I could not buy a new core support in Canada. LMC has them for something like $169, and shipping within the US is cheap at like $29 bucks. However, shipping across the border the shipping was like $269 usd, and the whole works would end up being a $500-$600 bill for me, and I am for sure not spending that kind of coin on a truck like this one.

In all likelihood, this truck will not ever be driven in the winter again, so with some paint and rustproofing spray, I'd like to think these saddles will allow the core support to last another 40 years...lol. Time will tell, and I'll be almost 90 by then.

The ones I made for my '84 are 16ga stainless, so they're not going anywhere.

Anyway, I'm just trying to be crafty and get this old thing back on the road as cheaply as possible. However, it's taking a lot of mig wire...lol.

It's all good. I'm having fun with it.

Well, I'm trying to build this truck as cheaply as possible...lol, so one has to get creative. When I fixed up my '84, I found at that time that I could not buy a new core support in Canada. LMC has them for something like $169, and shipping within the US is cheap at like $29 bucks. However, shipping across the border the shipping was like $269 usd, and the whole works would end up being a $500-$600 bill for me, and I am for sure not spending that kind of coin on a truck like this one.

In all likelihood, this truck will not ever be driven in the winter again, so with some paint and rustproofing spray, I'd like to think these saddles will allow the core support to last another 40 years...lol. Time will tell, and I'll be almost 90 by then.

The ones I made for my '84 are 16ga stainless, so they're not going anywhere.

Anyway, I'm just trying to be crafty and get this old thing back on the road as cheaply as possible. However, it's taking a lot of mig wire...lol.

It's all good. I'm having fun with it.

Again and again I'm astounded at shipping costs between our NAFTA neighbours. :nabble_smiley_uh:

With the Covid upsurge who knows when regular cross-border traffic will resume.

That, and it would probably be just as easy for a container from China to end up in Vancouver as Bellingham or Seattle.

But maybe with 1/10 the people it's just not cost effective to sell unusual products like this up there?

You're doing it right (solid and functional) that's what counts.

You can be proud you've accomplished that. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Very well done!

A couple years ago I shipped a diesel one to a guy in PA. He said he'd looked everywhere locally and couldn't find a solid one so was willing to pay freight which wasn't cheap. I like your solution.

Again and again I'm astounded at shipping costs between our NAFTA neighbours. :nabble_smiley_uh:

With the Covid upsurge who knows when regular cross-border traffic will resume.

That, and it would probably be just as easy for a container from China to end up in Vancouver as Bellingham or Seattle.

But maybe with 1/10 the people it's just not cost effective to sell unusual products like this up there?

Ya, like I always joke that there are more people in the state of California than in all of Canada...we simply have no buying power! It's complicated...there are brokerage fees, duties, freight charges, and of course tax. It all adds up pretty quick. I'm used to it though. Covid threw a bit of a wrench into things for me though. The past few years I had really taken advantage of a broker in Calais Maine, right on the border. I could ship stuff there, often times for free, and then when I was in the area with my work I would just zip across the border to grab my stuff and came back. Their warehouse was literally about 400 feet behind the border station.

We have a different market here too though, ya know. With the southern US, there are a lot of older vehicles still on the road that you just would not find up here anymore (likely the same in New England too eh?). Some companies make it easy for us though...both Ebay and Amazon offer seamless buying/shipping from the US. LMC is usually pretty good too, but many others are not.

Somebody is buying those 1980-1986 core supports though. When I called LMC that time, they had 162 of them in-stock.

Very well done!

A couple years ago I shipped a diesel one to a guy in PA. He said he'd looked everywhere locally and couldn't find a solid one so was willing to pay freight which wasn't cheap. I like your solution.

Oh ya, the diesel ones are really rare, aren't they? And yes...common rust point in the north. The bends and crimps, and folded sheet metal in the core supports are traps for the salt.

Very well done!

Oh ya, the diesel ones are really rare, aren't they? And yes...common rust point in the north. The bends and crimps, and folded sheet metal in the core supports are traps for the salt.

I like what you've done with the core support! I was lucky and found a relatively rust free gas version just laying next to a truck in the junkyard, and it only cost me $40. It has a very small chunk missing from where the fender liner mounts at the bottom, but that is easily fixed with a patch like yours. I'll probably also end up converting it to run the 85+ style radiator.

Here in the south they don't rust out from the elements, but what does rust them out is battery acid. My old radiator support was eaten away on that side for that reason, and it got into the frame a little bit as well but a frame saver patch wasn't necessary since it was only just starting to corrode.