Bullnose Forums

Red, striped and renewed

A bit over $10K.

First step - getting it from the street to the garage. The battery definitely needed charging. The starter is working much better with actual power. :)

Still took a while to get it running though. I still think it’s a fuel issue so I’m dropping the tank and replacing the sending unit (probably this weekend). I took some video of it running because I could hear some sort of rhythmic wheeze or “honking” coming from the engine bay while in idle. By the time I got the hood up and filming it was just going away, so this video probably won’t help identify it. Of note, though, is the clear fuel filter I’d like some insight on. In the mercedes there is usually some air in the prefilter. Not sure if it’s the same for the Ford... While in idle for a while it started dropping rpm and going back up. I assume that’s the carb doing its job, but, again, I’m new to carbs...

First step - getting it from the street to the garage. The battery definitely needed charging. The starter is working much better with actual power. :)

Still took a while to get it running though. I still think it’s a fuel issue so I’m dropping the tank and replacing the sending unit (probably this weekend). I took some video of it running because I could hear some sort of rhythmic wheeze or “honking” coming from the engine bay while in idle. By the time I got the hood up and filming it was just going away, so this video probably won’t help identify it. Of note, though, is the clear fuel filter I’d like some insight on. In the mercedes there is usually some air in the prefilter. Not sure if it’s the same for the Ford... While in idle for a while it started dropping rpm and going back up. I assume that’s the carb doing its job, but, again, I’m new to carbs...

I don't hear the "wheeze" in the video. A bit of clatter though.

And the fuel filters I've installed do about what yours is doing. Air in them is normal from what I've seen. Apparently the relatively low pressure and flow don't push all of the air out.

I don't hear the "wheeze" in the video. A bit of clatter though.

And the fuel filters I've installed do about what yours is doing. Air in them is normal from what I've seen. Apparently the relatively low pressure and flow don't push all of the air out.

Yeah, it went away right as I started filming. Sounded like maybe a poor vacuum seal? Or maybe the vacuum pump struggling?

The clatter you’re referring to - fuel related? I’m not sure how they sound in good order.

Thanks for the compliment!

Gary - The clatter you’re referring to - fuel related? I’m not sure how they sound in good order.

Ugly on the inside. Yikes. Just replacing the whole tank at this point.

I’m wondering how to check to see if the hard lines need to be replaced up to the pump.

Also, there’s a black plastic hose that when from the tank to the filler - I assume it’s an air release for easier pumping? Either way, I accidentally removed it and have no idea how to put it back.

0B48B14C-E87A-4CC2-B269-E1A51E6A5008.jpeg.ca746e8b827ca8c1cb98e29ea1d26981.jpeg

Ugly on the inside. Yikes. Just replacing the whole tank at this point.

I’m wondering how to check to see if the hard lines need to be replaced up to the pump.

Also, there’s a black plastic hose that when from the tank to the filler - I assume it’s an air release for easier pumping? Either way, I accidentally removed it and have no idea how to put it back.