Bullnose Forums

SS Fastener List??

Bruno2

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the fasteners look good and fit well then we should document your find in the Resources section. So let us know what you think of them.

I just placed my order. Shipping said 3-5 days. I called them to ask about specifics as far as water pump bolt lengths go. They had everything in 1/2" increments which is strange because those bolts are not in 1/2" increments they are in 1/8" (4-7/8" 3-3/8", etc). however, they said they have been selling them for years and havent had any complaints.

The bolts are comparable to grade 2 with 70,000 PSI (whatever that means) . They couldnt provide any details as far as what material they were using was.

I just placed my order. Shipping said 3-5 days. I called them to ask about specifics as far as water pump bolt lengths go. They had everything in 1/2" increments which is strange because those bolts are not in 1/2" increments they are in 1/8" (4-7/8" 3-3/8", etc). however, they said they have been selling them for years and havent had any complaints.

The bolts are comparable to grade 2 with 70,000 PSI (whatever that means) . They couldnt provide any details as far as what material they were using was.

Brandon, Gr 2 is hardware store bolts, most of the engine fasteners are Gr 5 and Gr 8.

Brandon, Gr 2 is hardware store bolts, most of the engine fasteners are Gr 5 and Gr 8.

Bill knows far more about this than I do. But, here come's my simple view:

According to Thomas Glover's Pocket Reference:

• Grade 2 has a proof strength of 55,000 lb-force/square inch

• Grade 5 has 85,000 lbf/in2

So the SS fasteners at 70,000 lbf/in2 would be 1/2 way between G2 and G5.

Let's take the oil pan bolt - 390657, which is a 5/16-18. The factory shop manual calls for torquing it to 9-11 ft-lbs, while Glover's Pocket Reference says a G2's standard dry torque is 11.3 and G5's is 17.4 ft-lbs. So a G2 is adequate for that torque, and the SS fasteners would probably be happy to torque to 14 ft-lbs.

Again, I realize that is is a gross simplification as it doesn't take into account the modulus of elasticity, clamping loads, etc. But, it seems to me that those SS fasteners are more than capable of holding on the valve covers, pan, water pump, etc.