Bullnose Forums

I got bit by the 1356!

Some of you may know I've come up to Vermont this weekend to buy some lumber at the sawmill and hang out with my buddy Bill.

Coming into Hartford on 91 I noticed a shuddering at 75.

An accident caused us to come to a crawl and it became obvious something was seriously wrong.

I called ahead to NAPA in Greenfield and had them set a pair of U-joints at the counter.

It had become really bad by the time I pulled in.

And decided I'm doing it in their parking lot.

Unfortunately, when I pulled the slip yoke... I saw the issue.

It was blue and gold!

Of course... I have all these parts sitting in the barn.... back in Connecticut. šŸ˜–

The guy at NAPA can get the seal kit and chain for Tuesday, but I KNOW I need the pump.

Who has an idea where I can get it overnighted from?

I'd also like to know the Torx size, because I have none of that with me.

TIA, Jim

Ā 

Jim - I'm sure you know we have the 1356 info here, but just in case: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/transfer-cases.html.

And I'll go get the Torx size in a moment.

But, are you sure you need the pump and not the "fix"? The pump rubs on the case and needs a piece welded to it to spread the load.

If the pump has been spinning around for 175 miles at highway speed I'm not going to trust it.

I need both.

Gary, you know I can't even see 65% of what's on this site.

Its not rocket surgery to split one of these.

Fortunately, the welder I fixed here 5 years ago is still working.

Thank you for the link. šŸ‘

Ā 

Wow. Bummer. Sorry to hear that failed on you while so far from home. What a drag... at least you made it to town. Hopefully you can get it patched up and on your way. How many miles are on yours? Iā€™m curious if there is any pattern to how far they run before the problem spot fails šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Wow. Bummer. Sorry to hear that failed on you while so far from home. What a drag... at least you made it to town. Hopefully you can get it patched up and on your way. How many miles are on yours? Iā€™m curious if there is any pattern to how far they run before the problem spot fails šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Jonathan, I honestly can't say.

I'd bought my Zf-5 back in 2010.

When I swapped it in I just left the TC attached.

Another one of these "gotta get r done" moments, I wasn't thinking about fact that my existing case HAD the mod and this one was a mystery.

Then came my storage debacle, where most of my big chunks, like the 450's engine (and the stand it was bolted to) got scrapped, because of my inability to deal with it.

So, I don't have my -known good- spare. šŸ˜£

My old one had ~200k before I dove in and decided I was going to get it before it got me.

The web/boss was damaged, but not close to failing at that point.

Jonathan, I honestly can't say.

I'd bought my Zf-5 back in 2010.

When I swapped it in I just left the TC attached.

Another one of these "gotta get r done" moments, I wasn't thinking about fact that my existing case HAD the mod and this one was a mystery.

Then came my storage debacle, where most of my big chunks, like the 450's engine (and the stand it was bolted to) got scrapped, because of my inability to deal with it.

So, I don't have my -known good- spare. šŸ˜£

My old one had ~200k before I dove in and decided I was going to get it before it got me.

The web/boss was damaged, but not close to failing at that point.

Parts are arriving. :nabble_anim_jump:

I got a call from the NAPA in Greenfield this afternoon.

Probably 1 1/2 hr round trip (unless I hit a slow moving tourist)

But I need to borrow a vehicle....

The pump is ????

But I have some new tools, a few quarts of Dex/Merc, Loctite blue and bearing & sleeve green, a torch and I'm on a mission to find or make a 'finger'

Parts are arriving. :nabble_anim_jump:

I got a call from the NAPA in Greenfield this afternoon.

Probably 1 1/2 hr round trip (unless I hit a slow moving tourist)

But I need to borrow a vehicle....

The pump is ????

But I have some new tools, a few quarts of Dex/Merc, Loctite blue and bearing & sleeve green, a torch and I'm on a mission to find or make a 'finger'

Good luck! And, don't hit any tourists, slow or fast. :nabble_smiley_good: