Bullnose Forums

Pulling the trigger

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a pretty tall, or high, ratio. Should be good for cruising. :nabble_smiley_good:

Pulled the trigger. Got the bronco back to St Louis. It was stalling just like he said it would. Hills or any higher speed and it would fall on its face. Still, it started fine.

Cut to dropping it off the flatbed. I live in a busy neighborhood so I had the truck dropped off just outside of it. Driving it the few block home and it stalls. Not even on a hill. Get it started back up after a few minutes and get a block away from my house and it stalls again. Now it won’t start at all even after letting it sit for a few hours.

Turn the key and it just slowly chugs. I’d prefer not to have to get another two for the last block to my house... any thoughts?

Pulled the trigger. Got the bronco back to St Louis. It was stalling just like he said it would. Hills or any higher speed and it would fall on its face. Still, it started fine.

Cut to dropping it off the flatbed. I live in a busy neighborhood so I had the truck dropped off just outside of it. Driving it the few block home and it stalls. Not even on a hill. Get it started back up after a few minutes and get a block away from my house and it stalls again. Now it won’t start at all even after letting it sit for a few hours.

Turn the key and it just slowly chugs. I’d prefer not to have to get another two for the last block to my house... any thoughts?

Quick check for spark and gas is needed.

If you have an old spark plug around pull a wire and pop the plug in, place it on the motor for a ground.

Watch the end when trying to start for spark. You should see a nice blue / white and hear a snap if you have spark.

Could also put a little gas down the carb and see if it will try and start. If so it has spark but no gas.

Pop the air filter off. open the choke if closed and looking down inside move the throttle you should see a stream or 2 of gas spray down into the carb.

If no gas pour a little down carb and see if it will try and start.

Not knowing your set up as I did not go to your earlier posts but if you have a fuel pump on the motor you can get some rubber hose and a small can of gas.

Hook the hose up to the inlet of the fuel pump on the motor and the other end in the can set on the fender and see if it will start and run.

If so tie up the can and drive it home.

The last is got a buddy with a good tow strap and something to pull the Bronco with?

Under the cover of darkness, less traffic, and drag it on home.

Good luck

Dave ----

ps it sound like it is not getting fuel if you can get up to speed or stalling on hills, anything when giving it more throttle would be fuel in my book. Bad rubber hoses maybe?

Dave gave good suggestions. Good luck, and let us know.

I had to go to the first post to "catch up" and it sounds more and more like a fuel issue.

Bad gas still in the tank?

What ever was in there with the 2 hr drive on the flat bed would have mixed and kicked up anything in the tank and then trying to drive the last few blocks sucked up the badness :nabble_face-with-open-mouth-vomiting-23x23_orig:

Hope he gets it home

Dave ----

I had to go to the first post to "catch up" and it sounds more and more like a fuel issue.

Bad gas still in the tank?

What ever was in there with the 2 hr drive on the flat bed would have mixed and kicked up anything in the tank and then trying to drive the last few blocks sucked up the badness :nabble_face-with-open-mouth-vomiting-23x23_orig:

Hope he gets it home

Dave ----

Great suggestions. I’ll give those a shot!

No concern about the slow chugging starter? It turns in intervals of maybe 1 second... It just seems overly slow.

Anyway, it’s sitting in front of one of the nicest restaurants in the neighborhood for now. I’m not going to be able to go down and mess with it until they close later. Hopefully it’s getting some nice looks. It really is a beauty. Pics once I get it home.

Great suggestions. I’ll give those a shot!

No concern about the slow chugging starter? It turns in intervals of maybe 1 second... It just seems overly slow.

Anyway, it’s sitting in front of one of the nicest restaurants in the neighborhood for now. I’m not going to be able to go down and mess with it until they close later. Hopefully it’s getting some nice looks. It really is a beauty. Pics once I get it home.

If it is turning really slowly then yes, you have a problem. That may be a bad starter, bad cables, or even a bad battery. You may have two problems - electrical and fuel. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Any tips on where to tie on that toe strap to the front?

Are you just towing it up onto a rollback? Or towing it a block or two to your house? I ask because I want you to be safe.

But if you have a strap you can connect to the frame right behind the bumper. Maybe go under the bumper and up over the frame and put the hook on the bottom of the frame?

While you are out, maybe in the morning, a few World's Fair doughnuts? :nabble_smiley_wink: