Bullnose Forums

Gear vendors wiring?

Hey folks, hope everyones enjoying the summer. Its too hot to work on the trucks right now but its cooler under the truck so maybe I could get some help here.

As this is the place to go for documentation, does anyone have diagrams for a gear vendors overdrive? I know its aftermarket, but itz worth a try. PO has all kinds of wires hanging around the trans and Id like to kind of figure them out before I start pulling wires out.

Thanks

I think there are at least two GV OD's. Which one do you have?

Scott/kramttocs put one in his truck, so maybe he has the wiring diagram. If he doesn't come along in a bit I'll ping him for you.

I think there is a box that wires from the speedo sender (wires at transmission?) goes into under the dash.

This should tell the OD unit you are going over think it is 30 MPH and the GV OD can then be used.

This box also has the lockout for when you are in 4x4 so you cant used OD, and the brake & clutch switches also get wired into it to stop OD when the clutch or brakes are hit.

Could not tell you what this box looks like or the wire colors used for what function.

Advance Adapter's OD does not have wires to it :nabble_smiley_evil:

Dave ----

I think there is a box that wires from the speedo sender (wires at transmission?) goes into under the dash.

This should tell the OD unit you are going over think it is 30 MPH and the GV OD can then be used.

This box also has the lockout for when you are in 4x4 so you cant used OD, and the brake & clutch switches also get wired into it to stop OD when the clutch or brakes are hit.

Could not tell you what this box looks like or the wire colors used for what function.

Advance Adapter's OD does not have wires to it :nabble_smiley_evil:

Dave ----

20200711_203638.jpg.a224ec80448cff6f206a4323d2d97ffa.jpg

Thats the brain box. That part number doesnt come up in my search.

Ill get under the truck tomorrow and see if I can find the difference between the models.

Thanks for the quick replies. This is a long term project so theres no rush on it.

Also the box is installed directly under the brake pedal. Definitely need to relocate

20200711_203638.jpg.85ce9d102c67bd25322647aad33a6e92.jpg

Thats the brain box. That part number doesnt come up in my search.

Ill get under the truck tomorrow and see if I can find the difference between the models.

Thanks for the quick replies. This is a long term project so theres no rush on it.

Also the box is installed directly under the brake pedal. Definitely need to relocate

20200711_203638.jpg.85ce9d102c67bd25322647aad33a6e92.jpg

Bigger photo

Jonathan - What about emailing the PDF to me and I'll put it in our documentation for all to see?

Great idea Gary! I forwarded the file to you... it is for the manual transmission 4x4 configuration, so there may be other diagrams... this is the only one I have. Andrew says he has a an owner manual but it lacks this diagram. Perhaps he can send it to you?

Edit: I have the screen shots of the DNE2 owner manual if it would be appropriate to archive them under aftermarket overdrives... I’m not sure how far down the aftermarket rabbit hole we want to go with this.

Jonathan - What about emailing the PDF to me and I'll put it in our documentation for all to see?

Interesting, so the GV unit is a Laycock De Normanville hydraulic unit. Item of warning, make damn sure there is no way it can even try to go into OD in reverse. You do not even want to think about the damage that occurs when the cone clutch releases from direct to go into OD, it will just slip, then when the hydraulic pressure builds enough to engage OD, the overrunning clutch and cone clutch are fighting each other, the cone clutch usually wins resulting in complete carnage inside.

Years ago my dad bought a 1963 Sunbeam Alpine with OD, it wouldn't work, so he decided to see what was wrong, that one had apparently been engaged in reverse, as the inside was junk, gears and overrunning clutch all trashed.

Interesting, so the GV unit is a Laycock De Normanville hydraulic unit. Item of warning, make damn sure there is no way it can even try to go into OD in reverse. You do not even want to think about the damage that occurs when the cone clutch releases from direct to go into OD, it will just slip, then when the hydraulic pressure builds enough to engage OD, the overrunning clutch and cone clutch are fighting each other, the cone clutch usually wins resulting in complete carnage inside.

Years ago my dad bought a 1963 Sunbeam Alpine with OD, it wouldn't work, so he decided to see what was wrong, that one had apparently been engaged in reverse, as the inside was junk, gears and overrunning clutch all trashed.

That is the first I have heard of not using it in reverse, don't think even on GV site.

I guess the box would keep that from happening as it will not go into OD unless going 30 MPH and you would not be doing that backing up.

Dave ----