Bullnose Forums

Fan Shroud Repair and Broken Water Pump Bolt

Gladly Steve! I tell everyone about this product, as I have such faith and confidence in it. Moreover, the owner of the company is one of the finest individuals you'll ever deal with. I could list many examples for you. Below is the link. As there is no jobber in my area, I purchase directly from them. Also, check out the forum there, lots of quality people post in there, much like we do here. I go by Machspeed there. If you have any questions, feel free to field them my way, think I owe you a few....lol!

https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

Now, I'm going back out in the shop to remove a harmonic balancer and broken water pump bolt. Wish me luck. I shall return this evening with hopeful news!!!

Alright gentlemen, yesterday was a good day! Per Jim's instructions, and I don't know why I didn't think of this before as I have done it, but used a breaker bar butted up to the gear box and bumped the engine to loosen the bolt. Took about ten minutes to loosen the bolt and remove the harmonic balancer. Thank you, Jim!

Two things regarding harmonic balancer, the first being that there seems to be some kind of seal in there.....see photo. I've not seen this before. The other is that I have a couple of very fine shallow groves in the polished shaft of the balancer.....see photo. They are shallow but I have reservations about leaving it. Seems there may be some kind of fix for this though. Confirmation and thoughts please?

IMG_0683.jpg.127c9850447e04fe2341f31b58a82250.jpgIMG_0684.jpg.0344736dd4866e0597cc149bb6dd58f5.jpg

Welded a nut on the broken stud and it broke right off even with the cover.....arghhhh! This was concerning to me, as we all thought that the broken bolt went into the block. I removed the remaining cover bolts and easily pried the cover off. The bolt is broken off in the cover, which will be an easy fix for me now that it is off the engine.

IMG_0689.jpg.b6d5f95022ef291139a294eabb071e89.jpg

Gary, think I'm going to go ahead and replace the timing chain. Not sure how they determine the looseness of the chain but I have a lot of slack in it on one side.

And lastly, even got the yard mowed and trimmed!!! That's a good day fellas!!!

Alright gentlemen, yesterday was a good day! Per Jim's instructions, and I don't know why I didn't think of this before as I have done it, but used a breaker bar butted up to the gear box and bumped the engine to loosen the bolt. Took about ten minutes to loosen the bolt and remove the harmonic balancer. Thank you, Jim!

Two things regarding harmonic balancer, the first being that there seems to be some kind of seal in there.....see photo. I've not seen this before. The other is that I have a couple of very fine shallow groves in the polished shaft of the balancer.....see photo. They are shallow but I have reservations about leaving it. Seems there may be some kind of fix for this though. Confirmation and thoughts please?

Welded a nut on the broken stud and it broke right off even with the cover.....arghhhh! This was concerning to me, as we all thought that the broken bolt went into the block. I removed the remaining cover bolts and easily pried the cover off. The bolt is broken off in the cover, which will be an easy fix for me now that it is off the engine.

Gary, think I'm going to go ahead and replace the timing chain. Not sure how they determine the looseness of the chain but I have a lot of slack in it on one side.

And lastly, even got the yard mowed and trimmed!!! That's a good day fellas!!!

Congrat's, John! Well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

On the damper, they make a "redi-sleeve" that presses over the seal area and covers the grooves. They work well.

As for the seal inside, I think that is actually RTV on the washer. If I remember correctly the FSM (Documentation/Engines/Windsor) says to add RTV to the damper and the washer as you install them, but you should read up on that for yourself.

As for the grass, I mowed ours yesterday also. So now I'm enjoying the rain!

Edit: The FSM has you turn the engine one way to tighten the chain, and then back the other way to put all of the slack on the side towards the fuel pump. You measure from where it was taut to where it is when slack.

Congrat's, John! Well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

On the damper, they make a "redi-sleeve" that presses over the seal area and covers the grooves. They work well.

As for the seal inside, I think that is actually RTV on the washer. If I remember correctly the FSM (Documentation/Engines/Windsor) says to add RTV to the damper and the washer as you install them, but you should read up on that for yourself.

As for the grass, I mowed ours yesterday also. So now I'm enjoying the rain!

Edit: The FSM has you turn the engine one way to tighten the chain, and then back the other way to put all of the slack on the side towards the fuel pump. You measure from where it was taut to where it is when slack.

So Gary, regarding the redi-sleeve, if I go with it do I need a different seal for the timing chain cover.....one to allow for the increased diameter of the shaft?

And yes, it is raining heavy out there today! Perfect for a recent grass cut. My yard is loving it!

So Gary, regarding the redi-sleeve, if I go with it do I need a different seal for the timing chain cover.....one to allow for the increased diameter of the shaft?

And yes, it is raining heavy out there today! Perfect for a recent grass cut. My yard is loving it!

No.

The stock seal easily fits over.

But ALWAYS lube the seal before sliding the cover into place.

You don't want it to start dry.

Yep, Jim is correct. Stock size seal and lube. But make sure you use the adhesive that is with the redi-sleeve as not only does it ensure it doesn't come off, it seals it so oil doesn't find its way under the seal.

Many parts stores have them in stock.

Yep, Jim is correct. Stock size seal and lube. But make sure you use the adhesive that is with the redi-sleeve as not only does it ensure it doesn't come off, it seals it so oil doesn't find its way under the seal.

Many parts stores have them in stock.

Yesterday ordered me up a roller timing chain and gears, new fuel pump, oil sending unit, and the timing cover gasket set that included the sleeve for the harmonic balancer. I also ordered up a new water pump. I should have all this by weeks end with a hopeful install this weekend.

Thus far I've replaced the intake manifold gaskets, power steering pump, rebuilt the carb and distributor, new plugs, wires, distributor rotor and cap, new belts, and all the hoses. That's what I can remember, probably more. This was NOT in my plans at all! But, despite all the road blocks I've encountered, I have derived much satisfaction out of it. You gentlemen, have been a part of that and as such I appreciate your help and encouragement.

Yesterday ordered me up a roller timing chain and gears, new fuel pump, oil sending unit, and the timing cover gasket set that included the sleeve for the harmonic balancer. I also ordered up a new water pump. I should have all this by weeks end with a hopeful install this weekend.

Thus far I've replaced the intake manifold gaskets, power steering pump, rebuilt the carb and distributor, new plugs, wires, distributor rotor and cap, new belts, and all the hoses. That's what I can remember, probably more. This was NOT in my plans at all! But, despite all the road blocks I've encountered, I have derived much satisfaction out of it. You gentlemen, have been a part of that and as such I appreciate your help and encouragement.

Do you realize that any 1998-1997 EFI timing set is all steel, double roller?

Looks like you are going to have solved a number of problems with all of this. :nabble_smiley_good:

Happy to help.

Looks like you are going to have solved a number of problems with all of this. :nabble_smiley_good:

Happy to help.

Yes, I think so. I still amazes me this ole truck did not quit on me with all that I have found wrong. He's been a good ole truck, another reason I can't say goodbye to it. I'm gonna post him up in the build thread soon, I think.