Bullnose Forums

Fan Shroud Repair and Broken Water Pump Bolt

It was miserable in my shop today and I had a fan blowing. I was soak and wet from sweat.....actually got a little nauseous and three in the towel on doing anything. I had hoped to get that last bolt out, harmonic balancer off and yard mowed. Struck out on all three. Welded a nut to that stud after a failed attempt with a stud removal tool. Didn't get very good penetration as the nut just game right off. Suspect I didn't prep the stud very well. I'll retry that tomorrow afternoon.

What is the best way to keep the engine from rotating while removing the crank bolt? Was hoping not to remove the starter.

John, watch your electrolytes.

Sometimes sweating pulls so much salt out of your body that your brain and nerves can't function.

Couple of weeks back I was building docks.

Monday a drank 7 liters of water but was still shutting down.

I'm adding Drip Drop to my regime and don't get the tingles any more.

Impact is easiest, but you can bolt an angle iron across the balancer that's long enough on one end to catch the frame.

Or lash the breaker bar to the frame and use the starter to break it free.

(Pull the coil wire first!)

John, watch your electrolytes.

Sometimes sweating pulls so much salt out of your body that your brain and nerves can't function.

Couple of weeks back I was building docks.

Monday a drank 7 liters of water but was still shutting down.

I'm adding Drip Drop to my regime and don't get the tingles any more.

Impact is easiest, but you can bolt an angle iron across the balancer that's long enough on one end to catch the frame.

Or lash the breaker bar to the frame and use the starter to break it free.

(Pull the coil wire first!)

Yeah, I suspect you're right Jim. I was soak and wet from just the sweat. Was getting to the point that I wasn't even thinking right. Still fill a little sickly today.

I have a pretty heavy impact Gun, will give it a shot but need to keep the motor from turning. I had thought I had it secured with a Cresent wrench to the balancer and the long handle off my floor jack, however the Cresent wrench would not hold as the force I was applying to the crank bolt was opening up the jaws and causing it to slip. I'll look into bolting something to the balancer.

THx!!!

Yeah, I suspect you're right Jim. I was soak and wet from just the sweat. Was getting to the point that I wasn't even thinking right. Still fill a little sickly today.

I have a pretty heavy impact Gun, will give it a shot but need to keep the motor from turning. I had thought I had it secured with a Cresent wrench to the balancer and the long handle off my floor jack, however the Cresent wrench would not hold as the force I was applying to the crank bolt was opening up the jaws and causing it to slip. I'll look into bolting something to the balancer.

THx!!!

Only supposed to be 89 here in 'Took today. Maybe today's the day. :nabble_smiley_good:

Only supposed to be 89 here in 'Took today. Maybe today's the day. :nabble_smiley_good:

Come on Gary, you don't work on the Lord's day.....lol! But, I guess all that depends on what one calls "work", right? And then there's that old testament law for which does not apply today. Wait, I'm breaking rules.....no politics or religion :nabble_smiley_scared:

Yeah.... this afternoon, provided I feel better, I'm going to get back after that stuck bolt and harmonic balancer. This was suppose to be an intake manifold gasket change that morphed into an near engine rebuild. I'm the type that see's something and can't leave it alone. It neve ends! Everything I have pulled off this truck has gotten cleaned, media blasted, painted or replaced. Was thinking yesterday while I have all this stuff off the engine with easy access, should change out the fuel pump and oil sending unit. I got to put the brakes on somewhere!

Come on Gary, you don't work on the Lord's day.....lol! But, I guess all that depends on what one calls "work", right? And then there's that old testament law for which does not apply today. Wait, I'm breaking rules.....no politics or religion :nabble_smiley_scared:

Yeah.... this afternoon, provided I feel better, I'm going to get back after that stuck bolt and harmonic balancer. This was suppose to be an intake manifold gasket change that morphed into an near engine rebuild. I'm the type that see's something and can't leave it alone. It neve ends! Everything I have pulled off this truck has gotten cleaned, media blasted, painted or replaced. Was thinking yesterday while I have all this stuff off the engine with easy access, should change out the fuel pump and oil sending unit. I got to put the brakes on somewhere!

Right on both counts - no longer under the OT and that's religion, which we don't discuss.

And I fully understand your problem on where to stop. I am afflicted with the same malady. I refuse to put greasy parts back on, so at the very least things get cleaned. Some get blasted and either painted or powder coated, but others go back dry w/o blasting much less painted or PC'd. And I have no good "rule of thumb" for which get what treatment. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Right on both counts - no longer under the OT and that's religion, which we don't discuss.

And I fully understand your problem on where to stop. I am afflicted with the same malady. I refuse to put greasy parts back on, so at the very least things get cleaned. Some get blasted and either painted or powder coated, but others go back dry w/o blasting much less painted or PC'd. And I have no good "rule of thumb" for which get what treatment. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Curious, know you do some powder coating. Are you pleased with it? I looked into that sometime back but it's messy and the startup cost did not warrant my project needs. Looked at having it done locally by a guy but frankly, the guy seemed a little condescending and would not warranty his work, at least not to my satisfaction. He had lots of concerns about me putting things back together and chipping of the coating, which I would not tolerate. Also, he was expensive. As such, I went looking for an alternative which believe I have found......SPI Epoxy Primer. I paint everything with this. Brake fluid won't harm it, it is UV protected, sticks to everything, won't chip, incredible stuff. I've spoken to several people whom had powdered coated their parts and have said that if they knew about SPI Epoxy prior to powder coating they would have sprayed it with epoxy. Below is the nine inch housing going in my Mustang. Just FYI, btw! I've been real needy lately and just trying to give back....lol!

Paint_Sheen.thumb.jpg.cc6e8ac9ef5bae971d638b849a830a56.jpg

Curious, know you do some powder coating. Are you pleased with it? I looked into that sometime back but it's messy and the startup cost did not warrant my project needs. Looked at having it done locally by a guy but frankly, the guy seemed a little condescending and would not warranty his work, at least not to my satisfaction. He had lots of concerns about me putting things back together and chipping of the coating, which I would not tolerate. Also, he was expensive. As such, I went looking for an alternative which believe I have found......SPI Epoxy Primer. I paint everything with this. Brake fluid won't harm it, it is UV protected, sticks to everything, won't chip, incredible stuff. I've spoken to several people whom had powdered coated their parts and have said that if they knew about SPI Epoxy prior to powder coating they would have sprayed it with epoxy. Below is the nine inch housing going in my Mustang. Just FYI, btw! I've been real needy lately and just trying to give back....lol!

I'm reasonably pleased with my powder coating results. My powder is resistant to brake fluid but is not resistant to brake cleaner as it'll soften it if not take it right off. So it isn't as durable as an epoxy.

However, there is an epoxy primer powder that I've used a bit, and it is durable. But you have to put your top coat on it and the base/epoxy coat does a decent job of insulating the part so that it is hard to get the top coat to adhere electrostatically. The trick there is to pull the part out of the oven after the epoxy has melted but before it is fully cured and shoot the part with the top coat. Given the heat the top coat adheres well, but then you could easily build up way too much powder if you aren't careful. And, you have to work quickly, so it isn't good for large parts.

I think your SPI epoxy primer sounds like a good solution for when you want black, like for suspension components. And especially for springs since they shouldn't be put in an oven at 400 degrees, so you can't do powder.

I would like some more info on that epoxy paint. After I finish some things on my bronco, I am going to start on my 62 F100. In between, I am going to build a shop at home as I am so tired of working in the dirt and rocks.

I would like some more info on that epoxy paint. After I finish some things on my bronco, I am going to start on my 62 F100. In between, I am going to build a shop at home as I am so tired of working in the dirt and rocks.

Gladly Steve! I tell everyone about this product, as I have such faith and confidence in it. Moreover, the owner of the company is one of the finest individuals you'll ever deal with. I could list many examples for you. Below is the link. As there is no jobber in my area, I purchase directly from them. Also, check out the forum there, lots of quality people post in there, much like we do here. I go by Machspeed there. If you have any questions, feel free to field them my way, think I owe you a few....lol!

https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

Now, I'm going back out in the shop to remove a harmonic balancer and broken water pump bolt. Wish me luck. I shall return this evening with hopeful news!!!

Gladly Steve! I tell everyone about this product, as I have such faith and confidence in it. Moreover, the owner of the company is one of the finest individuals you'll ever deal with. I could list many examples for you. Below is the link. As there is no jobber in my area, I purchase directly from them. Also, check out the forum there, lots of quality people post in there, much like we do here. I go by Machspeed there. If you have any questions, feel free to field them my way, think I owe you a few....lol!

https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

Now, I'm going back out in the shop to remove a harmonic balancer and broken water pump bolt. Wish me luck. I shall return this evening with hopeful news!!!

Good luck John!!!!! I was out working on my A/C untill it hit 105 on the porch. Decided I would come in and enjoy the A/C in the house till it cools down some.

By the way, you owe me nothing. That is what we are here for. I do, however have to say thank you for the info and the link to the epoxy paint site. I am going to look into that here in a bit.