Bullnose Forums

Fan Shroud Repair and Broken Water Pump Bolt

Alright fellas, I said my prayers today and I do mean I prayed. With some heat, PB Blaster, and some hammering, I worked the bolt out moving it back and forth. I think the heat was the big factor. So, I have a single bolt I need to remove as shown in the picture below, I'm thinking this bolt may not go into the block but it's hard to tell. Can anyone confirm that for me?

My other big decision is, do I want to remove the timing chain cover? I put heat up and down the cover in the removal of that bolt and I likely fried the gasket in that area. Thoughts?

Oh, that definitely goes through into the water jacket.

I would weld a nut onto it and remove it that way.

Put sealant on all bolts (not just the ones that see coolant)

Do you have a water pump backing plate?

Prayer works! Glad it did in your case. :nabble_smiley_good:

But, I think all of those bolts go into the block, as shown below. And if I was that far into it I'd sure want to replace the gasket behind the cover. And, while there, check out the timing chain.

If you change the gasket be sure you don't booger up the convolute weep passage.

If the timing case faces are pitted you can fill with JB Weld and file it flat when hard.

If you change the gasket be sure you don't booger up the convolute weep passage.

If the timing case faces are pitted you can fill with JB Weld and file it flat when hard.

Yeah, decided to go ahead and pull the cover. Taking a break from the harmonic balancer bolt which is kicking my rear. Not to mention it's dang hot out there. To confirm, CCW to release, correct?

Been putting the heat to that broken stud. Gonna try a stud puller before I pull out the welder, Dave. Thx, buddy!

And Gary, how did I know you'd say to consider replacing that timing chain....lol! Indeed have thought about that. If the gear is not nylon I'm keeping with it. Truck has 100k on it. When I'm done with the other project, gonna rebuild the motor.

Yeah, decided to go ahead and pull the cover. Taking a break from the harmonic balancer bolt which is kicking my rear. Not to mention it's dang hot out there. To confirm, CCW to release, correct?

Been putting the heat to that broken stud. Gonna try a stud puller before I pull out the welder, Dave. Thx, buddy!

And Gary, how did I know you'd say to consider replacing that timing chain....lol! Indeed have thought about that. If the gear is not nylon I'm keeping with it. Truck has 100k on it. When I'm done with the other project, gonna rebuild the motor.

Yes, CCW to remove the crank bolt.

As for the timing chain, the factory shop manual says a max of 1/2" slop in the chain.

Last, we are under and excessive heat warning, I guess you know? :nabble_smiley_scared:

Yes, CCW to remove the crank bolt.

As for the timing chain, the factory shop manual says a max of 1/2" slop in the chain.

Last, we are under and excessive heat warning, I guess you know? :nabble_smiley_scared:

Rained all night, humidity is BAD right now here in the northeast.

I'm not from Houston, Mississippi or Louisiana. And glad for that!

Rained all night, humidity is BAD right now here in the northeast.

I'm not from Houston, Mississippi or Louisiana. And glad for that!

It has rained the last three mornings and then it gets up into the high 90's in the afternoon. And right now it feels like a sauna outside. The humidity is awful! And I need to mow. :nabble_smiley_cry:

It has rained the last three mornings and then it gets up into the high 90's in the afternoon. And right now it feels like a sauna outside. The humidity is awful! And I need to mow. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Kentucky ain't much better, and I'm in the Ohio Valley about a mile from the river. Talk about humidity!

Grass loves this!

And yet, people choose to have lawns but no pasture animals.

The bamboo here is visibly taller than the beginning of the week.

And that's a comparison from 25-30'

I know how tall the canes were on the 4th because I cut some down and had to figure the overhang on my 18' 6" truck.

It was miserable in my shop today and I had a fan blowing. I was soak and wet from sweat.....actually got a little nauseous and three in the towel on doing anything. I had hoped to get that last bolt out, harmonic balancer off and yard mowed. Struck out on all three. Welded a nut to that stud after a failed attempt with a stud removal tool. Didn't get very good penetration as the nut just game right off. Suspect I didn't prep the stud very well. I'll retry that tomorrow afternoon.

What is the best way to keep the engine from rotating while removing the crank bolt? Was hoping not to remove the starter.

It was miserable in my shop today and I had a fan blowing. I was soak and wet from sweat.....actually got a little nauseous and three in the towel on doing anything. I had hoped to get that last bolt out, harmonic balancer off and yard mowed. Struck out on all three. Welded a nut to that stud after a failed attempt with a stud removal tool. Didn't get very good penetration as the nut just game right off. Suspect I didn't prep the stud very well. I'll retry that tomorrow afternoon.

What is the best way to keep the engine from rotating while removing the crank bolt? Was hoping not to remove the starter.

I would use an impact wrench.

I have a IR air impact and have had good luck with this electric from Harbor Freight, horrid fate for Jim!

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-amp-corded-12-in-impact-wrench-61173.html