Bullnose Forums

351m 4x4 manual swap

That's not much of an introduction. Typically we learn a bit about you before launching into the "help me do this" effort. And, this isn't the best part of the forum in which to get help since not as many people will see it here. So I suggest that once we dispense with the introduction that you do two things:

1. Create a signature that tells us about your truck so after we get a few posts in we don't have guess

2. Start a new thread in the main section to ask your question, which will go on for quite a while I'll bet.

So, welcome! How 'bout some pics of your truck? You can do that here and/or in the new thread you are going to create.

Also, where's home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you if we had your zip/postal code.

That's not much of an introduction. Typically we learn a bit about you before launching into the "help me do this" effort. And, this isn't the best part of the forum in which to get help since not as many people will see it here. So I suggest that once we dispense with the introduction that you do two things:

1. Create a signature that tells us about your truck so after we get a few posts in we don't have guess

2. Start a new thread in the main section to ask your question, which will go on for quite a while I'll bet.

So, welcome! How 'bout some pics of your truck? You can do that here and/or in the new thread you are going to create.

Also, where's home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you if we had your zip/postal code.

And, while you are working on that, here are some things to consider. First, there are basically three 4-speed transmissions with a granny low. You can see their gear ratios on the page here, but all are 1:1 in 4th: Documentation/Driveline/Calculators.

But, why a 4-speed? Why not a 5-speed since that would have an overdrive.

• NP435: Lowest 1st

• T-18: These were typically used behind any of the engines except the 460 and the diesel. Good low gear.

• T-19: These were used behind the 460 and diesel and have a pretty "tall" first gear

So, when you create that new thread in the main section tell us what you are going to do with the truck.

Welcome to the forum, Dawson! :nabble_waving_orig:

1981's had a clutch linkage, instead of hydraulics.

These parts are rare as hens teeth.

And those pedal supports do not interchange between them and the '83/'84-> trucks that have hydraulics.

Do you want synchro 1st?

What is the diff ratio in your truck?

So, you're going to need a transmission hump pan and shifter boot.

You'll likely want a manual shift steering column and a blanking plate for your cluster as well.

Welcome to the forum, Dawson! :nabble_waving_orig:

1981's had a clutch linkage, instead of hydraulics.

These parts are rare as hens teeth.

And those pedal supports do not interchange between them and the '83/'84-> trucks that have hydraulics.

Do you want synchro 1st?

What is the diff ratio in your truck?

So, you're going to need a transmission hump pan and shifter boot.

You'll likely want a manual shift steering column and a blanking plate for your cluster as well.

Welcome to the forum! :nabble_anim_handshake: