Bullnose Forums

Merry Christmas! Documentation Is Ready

David - I need to look at that chart. Sorry that I haven't.

As for what I did do today, I took the opportunity to "play" on the website. You see, I've been on a two-week road trip of 10 states and 3000 miles, and couldn't work on it while gone - as discussed elsewhere.

But, I have had an opportunity to watch the search statistics for the site, meaning the number of times that Google pointed people to this site to answer their query. And, it is important to me that people can find this site so all the work that is being done gets used. I've posted a screenshot, below, of the stats for the last 28 days as of today. I realize you can't easily read it, so I'll point out some of the more significant things.

First, 29 people were pointed to the site by Google yesterday alone, and the average position in the search results was 13, which means that on the average we were on Paul Harvey's Page 2. :nabble_smiley_cry:

The thing that Google usually points our way is the towing capacity of these trucks, and the usual position in the search results is #2! And, in the last 28 days 39 people have followed Google's suggestion and clicked on the link. :nabble_anim_claps:

So, what is pulling the average result down? Two things: Fuel Vapor Separator, which averages position 9.8, and Motorcraft 2150, which averages 18.6. Given that, today I addressed the fuel vapor separator portion of the problem. And, I discovered that the TSB to which it used to refer is no longer applicable since it was replaced in 1983. :nabble_smiley_blush: So, I found the newer TSB and added it to the site: Stalls/No Start/Hesitation/Stumble. As it turns out, it wasn't just the 460's that got the in-tank pump and the vapor separator, as the 351M/400's got the kit outlined in the TSB. In fact, the only 460 that got it was in an E-series van. :nabble_anim_confused:

Anyway, we now have another TSB and a corrected page on the fuel vapor separator.

Gary, don't all 'Hot Fuel" 460's get the fuel vapor separator?

Otherwise, I don't know what all those 3-port cans in the carburetor are all about.

I do understand the red, blue, white color codes thanks to Subford.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary, don't all 'Hot Fuel" 460's get the fuel vapor separator?

Otherwise, I don't know what all those 3-port cans in the carburetor are all about.

I do understand the red, blue, white color codes thanks to Subford.

The TSB is dated 1983, and says "It consists of an in-tank fuel pump, inertia shut-off switch, motorized fuel selector valve, vapor separator, and a vapor return system, along with related fuel lines and electrical wiring and devices." But didn't the early 460's have mechanical pumps? So, none of them had fuel vapor problems? There was no provision for them?

That's my confusion.

The TSB is dated 1983, and says "It consists of an in-tank fuel pump, inertia shut-off switch, motorized fuel selector valve, vapor separator, and a vapor return system, along with related fuel lines and electrical wiring and devices." But didn't the early 460's have mechanical pumps? So, none of them had fuel vapor problems? There was no provision for them?

That's my confusion.

Since our new member, xlt351cOZ, is having transmission troubles I added a couple more pages today:

• Driveline/Transmission/Manual Transmissions/T-18

That's my confusion.

"Early" 460's and some later ones -like mine- had mechanical pumps but Hot Fuel Handling was an option when the 460 returned to trucks for the 1983 m.y.

This is the exact setup you just described.

"Early" 460's and some later ones -like mine- had mechanical pumps but Hot Fuel Handling was an option when the 460 returned to trucks for the 1983 m.y.

This is the exact setup you just described.

From what I remember the air conditioned models in warm climates got the hot fuel handling package. Since mine was sold in the tidewater Virginia area with A/C it definitely would have come with it from the factory.

• 4 weeks later...

From what I remember the air conditioned models in warm climates got the hot fuel handling package. Since mine was sold in the tidewater Virginia area with A/C it definitely would have come with it from the factory.

I guess there have been some additions to the website that I've forgotten to tell y'all about. :nabble_smiley_blush:

1: Created a tab labeled Swapping Controls on the HVAC/Integral AC page. That explains how to put earlier controls on a later truck, or vice versa if you were so inclined.

2: Created a tab next to that one called Heat Shut-off on which I explain how to shut off the hot water flow to the heater core.

3: Added a topic to the Resources called HVAC, and included on it links to the two things above. (Yes, that's technically not thought of as the website, but it really is part of it.)

4: Created a page to outline the various fuel systems for the 460's: Fuel Systems/460 Fuel Systems.

• 1 month later...

I guess there have been some additions to the website that I've forgotten to tell y'all about. :nabble_smiley_blush:

1: Created a tab labeled Swapping Controls on the HVAC/Integral AC page. That explains how to put earlier controls on a later truck, or vice versa if you were so inclined.

2: Created a tab next to that one called Heat Shut-off on which I explain how to shut off the hot water flow to the heater core.

3: Added a topic to the Resources called HVAC, and included on it links to the two things above. (Yes, that's technically not thought of as the website, but it really is part of it.)

4: Created a page to outline the various fuel systems for the 460's: Fuel Systems/460 Fuel Systems.

I've forgotten to update y'all when I add pages. But, I added one on radios and speakers today: Electrical/Radios. And, the speaker listings include sizes. Not what I thought they were.

I've forgotten to update y'all when I add pages. But, I added one on radios and speakers today: Electrical/Radios. And, the speaker listings include sizes. Not what I thought they were.

I knew the door speakers were 5 1/4 because that is a Ford thing for doors :) However, larger will fit in the opening.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I've put 6 1/2" speakers in.

Folks - We have a new author - Bill Vose. He recently supplied me with info on several things and today I got it on the website. Check it out. And, if any of you wish to contribute, just let me know.

The carb info is under a tab called "Tips" and the auto tranny info is under "Identification & Adjustment".