Bullnose Forums

Merry Christmas! Documentation Is Ready

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Jim. I've added links to those pages, as well of a discussion of what's on the tabs, in the Instructions tab. Please see what you think.

I like how they say anything above 14.7:1 is too lean, and that you should have knock at full throttle with the advance disconnected.

Simple. Basic. Common sense, that seems to be lacking in today's world.

• 1 month later...

Yep, that is simple.

Our member Johnathan/StraightSix sent me a writeup on how to install a Detroit/Eaton Truetrac in one of the Bullnose 8.8" rear axles. That's significant as Eaton doesn't produce the Truetrac for the 83-86 3/4" cross pin version of the axle, only the '87+ version of the axle with a 7/8" cross pin. But Johnathan figured out how to do it! :nabble_anim_claps:

It is at Documentation/Driveline/Axles & Differentials. Then go to the Rear Axles & Differentials tab, then the Instructions tab, then the Ford 8.8" tab. And there you'll see both the factory shop manual instructions for the 8.8", which I just added, as well as his writeup.

Thanks, Johnathan! :nabble_anim_claps:

Our member Johnathan/StraightSix sent me a writeup on how to install a Detroit/Eaton Truetrac in one of the Bullnose 8.8" rear axles. That's significant as Eaton doesn't produce the Truetrac for the 83-86 3/4" cross pin version of the axle, only the '87+ version of the axle with a 7/8" cross pin. But Johnathan figured out how to do it! :nabble_anim_claps:

It is at Documentation/Driveline/Axles & Differentials. Then go to the Rear Axles & Differentials tab, then the Instructions tab, then the Ford 8.8" tab. And there you'll see both the factory shop manual instructions for the 8.8", which I just added, as well as his writeup.

Thanks, Johnathan! :nabble_anim_claps:

Thanks Gary! I hope it is helpful to someone!

Im just waiting on my axle spacer to be finished and then the Bronco should be back on the road. I have my fingers crossed for this weekend!

• 3 months later...

That’s great! Thanks Johnathon!

Edit: correct spelling.

Well, it has been quite a while since I've posted in here, partially because there haven't been any "big" additions to the documentation. But today there was a large one - John/JohhnyD's how-to on going from slide to pin-style locks. :nabble_anim_claps:

Go to Documentation/Interior/Doors/Door Locks and then the Change From Slide To Pin Style Locks tab.

Thanks, John! Well done!

And for those who might question why we have a page on this in addition to a thread on it, that's because over time the thread will drop off the first page and then go on farther and farther into the background. Yes, it can be found if you know the proper terms for searching, but you may have to try several times.

But since it'll be on the Door Lock page you won't have to search for it. Go to a logical place for it and there it'll be. Besides, we can format better on the website than we can in the forum.

• 1 month later...

Well, it has been quite a while since I've posted in here, partially because there haven't been any "big" additions to the documentation. But today there was a large one - John/JohhnyD's how-to on going from slide to pin-style locks. :nabble_anim_claps:

Go to Documentation/Interior/Doors/Door Locks and then the Change From Slide To Pin Style Locks tab.

Thanks, John! Well done!

And for those who might question why we have a page on this in addition to a thread on it, that's because over time the thread will drop off the first page and then go on farther and farther into the background. Yes, it can be found if you know the proper terms for searching, but you may have to try several times.

But since it'll be on the Door Lock page you won't have to search for it. Go to a logical place for it and there it'll be. Besides, we can format better on the website than we can in the forum.

Time for an update. Part of the lull has been that my scanner died. But it has now been replaced by Xerox, under warranty no less, and I'm back in business.

So yesterday and today I scanned some of the documents that Bill/85lebaront2 sent me. But you may have seen in Site Formatting Question & Possible Solution that those documents are from the 90's. And while it might not seem appropriate to have them on the site, they are helpful since many of us have incorporated later bits and pieces into our trucks.

Anyway, I've added columns for 1990 - 96 to the Manuals & Literature spreadsheet to accommodate these later docs:

• 1990: Owner's Guide; Operating Guide; Maint Sched & Record Log; Warranty Info Booklet

• 1995: Maint Sched

And while it might not seem all that much, it's another 435 pages of documentation. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Now for a bit of note-taking for me. I've come up with a technique that works fairly well for the little booklets that are held together with staples in the middle and I want to capture it 'cause I will forget it otherwise. But first, the problem is that each piece of paper actually has four pages on it. And they are NOT sequential.

However, my scanner scans both the front and back of each page at the same time and creates an image for each side separately. So if it is a 6-page document the first image will have Page 1 and Page 6 on one side of it. The second will have Page 2 & Page 5. And the third image will have Page 3 & Page 4.

So here's what I did in my pdf application after the scanning and OCR'ing are done:

1: Duplicate each image and put the duplicates at the end of the document. But in the 6-page example that leaves the deck with pages in this order: 1 & 6; 2 & 5; 3 & 4; 1 & 6; 2 & 5; 3 & 4. However I need the duplicated pages to be in reverse order as the 2nd page on each image is in reverse order.

2: Move each of the duplicated images to the end of the document, one at a time, starting with the next-to-last image. Do it one at a time until you get to the last image, which is in the center of the deck and is usually the back & front cover, and move it. And in our example we'll have: 1 & 6; 2 & 5; 3 & 4; 3 & 4; 2 & 5; 1 & 6

3: Crop the odd numbered images by moving the left margin to the middle of the page. That takes the back half of each image off. In other words, in our 6-page example on the first image we are cropping Page 6 off and leaving Page 1. So now the images in our example look like: 1; 2 & 5; 3; 3 & 4; 5; 1 & 6

4: Crop the even numbered images by moving the right margin to the middle of the page, taking the front half off the even images. So in our example we now have: 1; 2; 3; 4; 5; 6.

Yes, that is painful. And the file is twice the size it needs to be as every page is in there twice since cropping doesn't delete it but just hides it. So it is better to cut the pages up and scan them individually. But I didn't want to do that to Bill's booklets. However, for the '90 owner's guide I did pull the pages out as getting a good scan of "bound" things is very difficult.

:nabble_anim_working:

Time for an update. Part of the lull has been that my scanner died. But it has now been replaced by Xerox, under warranty no less, and I'm back in business.

So yesterday and today I scanned some of the documents that Bill/85lebaront2 sent me. But you may have seen in Site Formatting Question & Possible Solution that those documents are from the 90's. And while it might not seem appropriate to have them on the site, they are helpful since many of us have incorporated later bits and pieces into our trucks.

Anyway, I've added columns for 1990 - 96 to the Manuals & Literature spreadsheet to accommodate these later docs:

• 1990: Owner's Guide; Operating Guide; Maint Sched & Record Log; Warranty Info Booklet

• 1995: Maint Sched

And while it might not seem all that much, it's another 435 pages of documentation. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Now for a bit of note-taking for me. I've come up with a technique that works fairly well for the little booklets that are held together with staples in the middle and I want to capture it 'cause I will forget it otherwise. But first, the problem is that each piece of paper actually has four pages on it. And they are NOT sequential.

However, my scanner scans both the front and back of each page at the same time and creates an image for each side separately. So if it is a 6-page document the first image will have Page 1 and Page 6 on one side of it. The second will have Page 2 & Page 5. And the third image will have Page 3 & Page 4.

So here's what I did in my pdf application after the scanning and OCR'ing are done:

1: Duplicate each image and put the duplicates at the end of the document. But in the 6-page example that leaves the deck with pages in this order: 1 & 6; 2 & 5; 3 & 4; 1 & 6; 2 & 5; 3 & 4. However I need the duplicated pages to be in reverse order as the 2nd page on each image is in reverse order.

2: Move each of the duplicated images to the end of the document, one at a time, starting with the next-to-last image. Do it one at a time until you get to the last image, which is in the center of the deck and is usually the back & front cover, and move it. And in our example we'll have: 1 & 6; 2 & 5; 3 & 4; 3 & 4; 2 & 5; 1 & 6

3: Crop the odd numbered images by moving the left margin to the middle of the page. That takes the back half of each image off. In other words, in our 6-page example on the first image we are cropping Page 6 off and leaving Page 1. So now the images in our example look like: 1; 2 & 5; 3; 3 & 4; 5; 1 & 6

4: Crop the even numbered images by moving the right margin to the middle of the page, taking the front half off the even images. So in our example we now have: 1; 2; 3; 4; 5; 6.

Yes, that is painful. And the file is twice the size it needs to be as every page is in there twice since cropping doesn't delete it but just hides it. So it is better to cut the pages up and scan them individually. But I didn't want to do that to Bill's booklets. However, for the '90 owner's guide I did pull the pages out as getting a good scan of "bound" things is very difficult.

:nabble_anim_working:

Gary, other than the 1996 stuff, you can do what ever you want, just send the 1996 and Kelsey-Hayes part back when you are done.