Bullnose Forums

Merry Christmas! Documentation Is Ready

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny they have a 1/4 screw in a #12 clip nut.

1/4" should be #14

Funny story, Jim. The absolute best time I had in school was when at the age of 60 I went back for lathe and mill schooling.

I had a huge list of questions stored up when class started, including one about #14 screws. I actually had a #14 tap but couldn't find anything in our text book about it so asked the instructor. He said there wasn't such an animal, and before I could say "I have one" the guy in the front row said "Then why does that chart behind you have it listed?"

I wrote my research paper on fasteners and learned that there was a whole lot of consolidation of fastener sizes during the late 1800's and early 1900's. Forgetting what other countries had, the US had a different set of fastener sizes for each industry. So as things standardized some sizes were left off. And the #14 fasteners were one of those. Almost but not quite the same as 1/4", and we didn't need both.

Funny story, Jim. The absolute best time I had in school was when at the age of 60 I went back for lathe and mill schooling.

I had a huge list of questions stored up when class started, including one about #14 screws. I actually had a #14 tap but couldn't find anything in our text book about it so asked the instructor. He said there wasn't such an animal, and before I could say "I have one" the guy in the front row said "Then why does that chart behind you have it listed?"

I wrote my research paper on fasteners and learned that there was a whole lot of consolidation of fastener sizes during the late 1800's and early 1900's. Forgetting what other countries had, the US had a different set of fastener sizes for each industry. So as things standardized some sizes were left off. And the #14 fasteners were one of those. Almost but not quite the same as 1/4", and we didn't need both.

Right.

And we have #10 but no 3/16.

For me, in my trades, it's a very specific 12-24 undercut flat (wafer) head screw that is required for fire doors in metal jambs.

I used to buy these by the gross, when I went to the industrial supply that I knew stocked them.

Sadly when the industry went away so did they.

When was the last time you bought a box of 144 of anything????

Right.

And we have #10 but no 3/16.

For me, in my trades, it's a very specific 12-24 undercut flat (wafer) head screw that is required for fire doors in metal jambs.

I used to buy these by the gross, when I went to the industrial supply that I knew stocked them.

Sadly when the industry went away so did they.

When was the last time you bought a box of 144 of anything????

Don't remember buying 144 of anything for a long, long time. I remember getting that many 1/4-20 G2 bolts long ago and discovering G2's are way too soft for most things. Took forever to use them up.

Don't remember buying 144 of anything for a long, long time. I remember getting that many 1/4-20 G2 bolts long ago and discovering G2's are way too soft for most things. Took forever to use them up.

The only thing I can buy a dozen dozen of now is acid brushes at the plumbing supply.

Grade 2, what were you thinking???

The only thing I can buy a dozen dozen of now is acid brushes at the plumbing supply.

Grade 2, what were you thinking???

I wasn't thinking. I didn't know about different fastener grades. Don't think Dad knew, so I didn't learn it until during that project.

Bought a full-sized Chevy van that was open and empty behind the second seat and created a raised platform using angle, plywood, and 1/4" fasteners. The platform was covered in carpet matching that of the rest of the van, and a mattress was on top of it.

I learned pretty quickly that a G2 1/4-20 is SOOOOOFT. I twisted several of them off as I was building that thing. And this was long before I got air impacts and long before battery-powered ones that worked, so it was all by hand. But I don't think I've purchased a G2 fastener since.

I wasn't thinking. I didn't know about different fastener grades. Don't think Dad knew, so I didn't learn it until during that project.

Bought a full-sized Chevy van that was open and empty behind the second seat and created a raised platform using angle, plywood, and 1/4" fasteners. The platform was covered in carpet matching that of the rest of the van, and a mattress was on top of it.

I learned pretty quickly that a G2 1/4-20 is SOOOOOFT. I twisted several of them off as I was building that thing. And this was long before I got air impacts and long before battery-powered ones that worked, so it was all by hand. But I don't think I've purchased a G2 fastener since.

The only thing I use Gr 2 for is to make guide pins for installing 460 intake manifolds if the original studs are missing or damaged.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I use Gr 2 for is to make guide pins for installing 460 intake manifolds if the original studs are missing or damaged.

Today I added 9 pages to the site, all provided in Documentation/Literature/ by the following:

Shaun/salans7:

• Miscellaneous/1995 F-Series Brochure

• Miscellaneous/1996 F-Series Brochure

Clifton/Cliftonk:

• 1980/1980 Interior & Exterior Colors

• 1982/1982 Exterior Colors

• 1984/1984 Exterior Colors

• 1985/1985 Exterior Colors

• 1986/1986 Exterior Colors

Edward Michael:

• 1981/The 21 MPG Pickup

• 1981/21 MPG & 2530 Load

Clifton - The '84 brochure is too large for my scanner so I'll take it to my friendly scanning people, soon.

Thanks, guys!