Bullnose Forums

Merry Christmas! Documentation Is Ready

Yep. A good 130 amp 3G will fry the shunt.

😰

But 100A must be okay... I am pretty much planning on running V belts on my IDI instead of trying to fabricate a serpentine bracket for the Saginaw. I know you can still run a 3G with V belts (odd Dodge pulley if I remember right) but maybe 100A is enough and I can leave the gauge alone. I think I was running a 60A before.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. A good 130 amp 3G will fry the shunt.

😰

But 100A must be okay... I am pretty much planning on running V belts on my IDI instead of trying to fabricate a serpentine bracket for the Saginaw. I know you can still run a 3G with V belts (odd Dodge pulley if I remember right) but maybe 100A is enough and I can leave the gauge alone. I think I was running a 60A before.

W/o heavy-duty current hogs 100A is fine. But, can you find one of the 100A alternators? Why not a 90A 3G? Lots easier to find, newer tech, and charges at lower RPM. And with that last quality I'd bet you'd get every bit as much charge in normal driving from that one as a 100A 1G.

W/o heavy-duty current hogs 100A is fine. But, can you find one of the 100A alternators? Why not a 90A 3G? Lots easier to find, newer tech, and charges at lower RPM. And with that last quality I'd bet you'd get every bit as much charge in normal driving from that one as a 100A 1G.

Good idea Gary, I wasn’t aware that there was such a thing as a 90A 3G that would work with our gauges and wiring. I still have the pulley issue to consider, but that shouldn’t be too hard. I will be running the Marchal fog lights but nothing to crazy. It’s mostly keeping up with the glow plugs and starter draw. I need to do whatever I have to in order to get rid of hard starting, dead batteries, dead starters and all that fun stuff that has stranded me in the past....

Good idea Gary, I wasn’t aware that there was such a thing as a 90A 3G that would work with our gauges and wiring. I still have the pulley issue to consider, but that shouldn’t be too hard. I will be running the Marchal fog lights but nothing to crazy. It’s mostly keeping up with the glow plugs and starter draw. I need to do whatever I have to in order to get rid of hard starting, dead batteries, dead starters and all that fun stuff that has stranded me in the past....

See the write up in Electrical/3G. (I can’t seem to paste the URL on this phone. 😩)

See the write up in Electrical/3G. (I can’t seem to paste the URL on this phone. 😩)

Easy enough to find Gary, and quite a bit better than most write-ups out there... but I wouldn’t have expected anything less from Garagemahal 😉. I have some things to consider, including the fact that I already have three alternators that I believe are 130A that came with my serpentine systems. In case you hadn’t noticed, the path of least resistance have to play a healthy role in my crew cab project if I am to get it “finished”/running within any reasonable time frame.

Easy enough to find Gary, and quite a bit better than most write-ups out there... but I wouldn’t have expected anything less from Garagemahal 😉. I have some things to consider, including the fact that I already have three alternators that I believe are 130A that came with my serpentine systems. In case you hadn’t noticed, the path of least resistance have to play a healthy role in my crew cab project if I am to get it “finished”/running within any reasonable time frame.

I added several things in and around TSB's today:

• Spreadsheet to TSB Index. See the thread about it for further details

I added several things in and around TSB's today:

• Spreadsheet to TSB Index. See the thread about it for further details

Looks good so far sir! You will truly become the "Bullnose Bible".

Looks good so far sir! You will truly become the "Bullnose Bible".

Bill - Is there another one in contention? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Anyway, part of my recent purchase of documentation included a few issues of Ford's Service Life magazine which was for their technicians. I got one of them scanned and up on the website. See what you think: Literature/Miscellaneous Literature/Service Life. And check out the tip on Page 22.

I have a few more of them and will eventually get them scanned and uploaded. But, I'd like your input as to the priority of doing so.

Anyway, part of my recent purchase of documentation included a few issues of Ford's Service Life magazine which was for their technicians. I got one of them scanned and up on the website. See what you think: Literature/Miscellaneous Literature/Service Life. And check out the tip on Page 22.

I have a few more of them and will eventually get them scanned and uploaded. But, I'd like your input as to the priority of doing so.

Not that I know of. Are you talking about removing the stripped panel screws?

Yep, that hasn't been an issue for me, but apparently was for the tech's. Not sure I'd want them to melt my door panel.