Bullnose Forums

Lighting

Machspeed

You can speak for me any time, Jim. I'd be right more often that way. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Find "two" what? Breakers to see if they'll fit in the PCM? I looked at mine yesterday, and the factory breaker that I have in my PDB for the headlights fits in a maxifuse slot.

It's not my place, and that's why I qualified it in my reply.

Yes, I'm going to dig for two 15A resetting breakers.

I'm pretty sure they're in there.

Mark, are you using the 3,500 lumen fixtures, or the 5,000 lumen fixtures with the pull chain?

Either way I'm surprised at the value of these things.

If I wasn't so skint I would have dismissed them as cheap garbage and never given them a chance.

They have pull chains on them. Most likely the 5,000 lumen fixtures. I'm in Louisiana at the moment. Heading home tomorrow. I'll take a look at them. On an even brighter note, the new aluminum radiator arrived! It's a happy new part day :nabble_smiley_happy:champion_cooling.jpg.d4b3e5b7aa1c5a2a3e776cf913c9c294.jpg

It is lighter, but it also transfers heat better than brass.

If it were me I would want to black anodize it.

How would you do that, Jim? What chemicals would you use? I ask selfishly 'cause the engine oil cooler on Big Blue is easily seen through the grille and I'd wondered about painting it black but then remembered that would reduce the heat transfer. But I don't think anodizing would, or at least not much.

How would you do that, Jim? What chemicals would you use? I ask selfishly 'cause the engine oil cooler on Big Blue is easily seen through the grille and I'd wondered about painting it black but then remembered that would reduce the heat transfer. But I don't think anodizing would, or at least not much.

Anodizing is a process where you either use a caustic or electrochemical process to open the 'pores' of the aluminum.

Then you dye it and passivate it to seal it in.

First, you need to know what alloy.

Some work great, some hardly at all.

Dyes are fugitive.

Some (like red) more than others.

But I would expect black to last a while.

Anodizing is a process where you either use a caustic or electrochemical process to open the 'pores' of the aluminum.

Then you dye it and passivate it to seal it in.

First, you need to know what alloy.

Some work great, some hardly at all.

Dyes are fugitive.

Some (like red) more than others.

But I would expect black to last a while.

There may also be some processes similar to cold bluing steel, but I can't say for sure.

That would be a lot simpler, and less messy.

There may also be some processes similar to cold bluing steel, but I can't say for sure.

That would be a lot simpler, and less messy.

A bit of reading says that anodizing requires the part to be VERY clean. My oil cooler isn't.

Also, lots of things I've read say that a thin coat of high temp black spray paint, like for a BBQ grill, actually helps transfer heat. So I think that's the way I'll go as it'll be easy and doesn't require the cooler to be as clean.

A bit of reading says that anodizing requires the part to be VERY clean. My oil cooler isn't.

Also, lots of things I've read say that a thin coat of high temp black spray paint, like for a BBQ grill, actually helps transfer heat. So I think that's the way I'll go as it'll be easy and doesn't require the cooler to be as clean.

What the hey.....you guys are trashing my thread....anodizing now.....holy smokes!!! :nabble_anim_crazy:

What the hey.....you guys are trashing my thread....anodizing now.....holy smokes!!! :nabble_anim_crazy:

Guilty! :nabble_smiley_blush:

But that's easily fixed. Let's see, the radiator goes where? The anodizing idea could go with it or to Big Blue's thread as I'm gonna paint the oil cooler. What else? :nabble_smiley_grin: