Bullnose Forums

Lighting

Machspeed

The switch is in the dash....

The relays are triggered by the right side headlamp socket.

The relays then power the headlamps through their own harness, with dedicated grounds on each side.

Yep. Another way to say it is that some harnii have a plug that simulates the headlight and plugs into the right side headlight connector. Another harnii have you remove the old headlight connector and connect directly to the wires.

Those wires trigger the relays by going to their coils, the other side of which is grounded. If the low beam wire has power from the switch then the low beam relay pulls in. And that relay is getting its power through a fuse that's tied directly to the battery, so the headlight comes on but it is powered by heavy wire directly from the battery and only triggered by the headlight switch. Ditto the high beam.

All this makes sense to me now after reading your posts and watching the below linked video. Thanks, gentlemen. BTW, this is horrible! We have a lighting thread that has gone to a relay mod thread, back to lighting and then back to relay mod again. My bad!!! Gary, you can finish it off when you get your tombstones such that it is lighting again...lol!

All this makes sense to me now after reading your posts and watching the below linked video. Thanks, gentlemen. BTW, this is horrible! We have a lighting thread that has gone to a relay mod thread, back to lighting and then back to relay mod again. My bad!!! Gary, you can finish it off when you get your tombstones such that it is lighting again...lol!

We went from shop lighting to something about the lighting of your truck, that you would do IN your shop.

These detours happen here in the Garagemahal!

We went from shop lighting to something about the lighting of your truck, that you would do IN your shop.

These detours happen here in the Garagemahal!

It is all lighting, so what's the problem? :nabble_smiley_evil:

On the video, I don't recommend doing it quite that way. I don't think it is safe to come off the battery with un-fused wires. Instead I put an auto-reset circuit breaker by the battery and then come off of it.

You're the boss, Gary......:nabble_smiley_happy:

Can you give me specifics on your auto-reset circuit breaker....amperage, etc? Also, why auto reset and not manual? That's some pretty thick wire you have coming off of it too. What gauge is that? Do you see a problem with me utilizing one of these kits with that auto reset circuit breaker?

You're the boss, Gary......:nabble_smiley_happy:

Can you give me specifics on your auto-reset circuit breaker....amperage, etc? Also, why auto reset and not manual? That's some pretty thick wire you have coming off of it too. What gauge is that? Do you see a problem with me utilizing one of these kits with that auto reset circuit breaker?

I'm not Gary, but the breaker should be rated to protect the harness attached to it.

i.e. a 15A breaker for 16G wire

20 for 14

30 for 10-12

Auto reset means as soon as you clear the short your lights come back on.

No playing with a button or looking for a fuse.

I'm not Gary, but the breaker should be rated to protect the harness attached to it.

i.e. a 15A breaker for 16G wire

20 for 14

30 for 10-12

Auto reset means as soon as you clear the short your lights come back on.

No playing with a button or looking for a fuse.

Thanks, Jim. I missed that question.

Yes, auto-reset is what most automobile manufacturers use on headlights as you do not want to be fumbling in the dark to manually reset one.

Here's one I've used before:

Breaker_1.thumb.jpg.a87f21953d72afd88ab1da62c9de3cbb.jpgBreaker_2.thumb.jpg.f2448ed1773796453a9523a75cca814d.jpg

Thanks, Jim. I missed that question.

Yes, auto-reset is what most automobile manufacturers use on headlights as you do not want to be fumbling in the dark to manually reset one.

Here's one I've used before:

I don't presume to speak for you, Gary.

But I do understand the what and why, having wired up my little PCM.

And now that I'm reminded.. I'm going to dig around in the clutter at the bottom of my "harness" tote and find two.

I don't presume to speak for you, Gary.

But I do understand the what and why, having wired up my little PCM.

And now that I'm reminded.. I'm going to dig around in the clutter at the bottom of my "harness" tote and find two.

You can speak for me any time, Jim. I'd be right more often that way. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Find "two" what? Breakers to see if they'll fit in the PCM? I looked at mine yesterday, and the factory breaker that I have in my PDB for the headlights fits in a maxifuse slot.