Bullnose Forums

AC Compressor: HR980

Hi Folks,

Is there a plug and play replacement option for a seized HR980 (dealer installed) in my 1985 Ford f250 4.9 i6 300?

If not, can I find a member who would like to sell an old one they have collecting dust in their garage?

Very Best,

Christopher

There is no such thing as a plug and play A/C compressor. If the compressor has frozen, that means that it has come apart internaly and has spread parts and shrapnel through out the system.

This means that you need to change the orface tube, the receiver/dryer, and flush out the system to get the shrapnel from the consdinser and the evaporator core, then vacume the system down, add pag oil and Freon.

When it comes to the AC system, there is nothing that is" plug and play"

There is no such thing as a plug and play A/C compressor. If the compressor has frozen, that means that it has come apart internaly and has spread parts and shrapnel through out the system.

This means that you need to change the orface tube, the receiver/dryer, and flush out the system to get the shrapnel from the consdinser and the evaporator core, then vacume the system down, add pag oil and Freon.

So true you are best to replace everything if you can or do a vary good flushing.

Not knowing what the HR980 compressor looks like I Google it and did not get a good picture but looks to be used on Mustangs 84 - 86 that I had seen.

You can try Ebay or Amazon for it.

What motor is this bolted to? Never mind I see its a 300 six.

Can you post a picture of the compressor and how the dealer mounted it?

Dave ----

So true you are best to replace everything if you can or do a vary good flushing.

Not knowing what the HR980 compressor looks like I Google it and did not get a good picture but looks to be used on Mustangs 84 - 86 that I had seen.

You can try Ebay or Amazon for it.

What motor is this bolted to? Never mind I see its a 300 six.

Can you post a picture of the compressor and how the dealer mounted it?

Dave ----

I was clumsy with my words. What I mean to ask is: is there a compressor that is accepted by the brackets that are on the HB980 bolted to the engine, or, if not, is there a unit/bracket combo that can bolt on to this engine with minimal headache as a replacement.

IMG_5567.thumb.jpg.dbad1d8bbf73e7e2b407def08a860514.jpg

I was clumsy with my words. What I mean to ask is: is there a compressor that is accepted by the brackets that are on the HB980 bolted to the engine, or, if not, is there a unit/bracket combo that can bolt on to this engine with minimal headache as a replacement.

From what I am seeing, they were used on 2.3 turbo T-Birds, Ford Ranger pickups, Mustangs and some Mazda cars.

My question would have to be, why would you want to put on a second hand compressor and have the possibility of it failing in a short peroid of time and having to go through this whole thing again? Its kinda like buying a junk yard radiator, yep, its a radiator, but is it any good?

I understand that I don't know anything about your bugget and I understand that money is short and times are hard. I also under stand that R134(Freon) is $14.00 to $21.00 a pound and im pretty sure that you have a 3 + pound system. If you save your money and repair the system right, once, it will serve you for years, trouble free. I redid my system in 2002 and it lasted until a couple of days ago, that's 18 years, but it is up to you.

From what I am seeing, they were used on 2.3 turbo T-Birds, Ford Ranger pickups, Mustangs and some Mazda cars.

My question would have to be, why would you want to put on a second hand compressor and have the possibility of it failing in a short peroid of time and having to go through this whole thing again? Its kinda like buying a junk yard radiator, yep, its a radiator, but is it any good?

I understand that I don't know anything about your bugget and I understand that money is short and times are hard. I also under stand that R134(Freon) is $14.00 to $21.00 a pound and im pretty sure that you have a 3 + pound system. If you save your money and repair the system right, once, it will serve you for years, trouble free. I redid my system in 2002 and it lasted until a couple of days ago, that's 18 years, but it is up to you.

FYI this is what the 83> compressor & bracket looks like. not my setup I need the compressor still.

2_b29ecc94d14084e8049976554d097328ce2231295B15D.jpg.bee35092aade0c916d137736409753dc.jpg

Now for you to use it from what I can see you would need to find the motor brackets.

Now there are 2 different type of brackets for this pump. 1 uses the same P/S pump you have used on pick up's and think cars with a 300 six. the other is used in vans and uses a different P/S pump.

So if you find a van you would need to get all the brackets, AC & P/S, along with the both pumps and hoses. I would not use the AC pump on the truck but as a core for a new / rebuilt one.

And because your pump went bad you either need to replace other parts or flush them really really good.

The replacement condenser is not a bolt in. It is made for the newer trucks so you have to use spacers and longer bolts to get it to bolt up, same for the grille IIRC to clear the condenser.

Hoses and maybe the dryer could be an issue for you being a dealer install.

I know the early (80-82 switch over year IIRC) used York compressors so they have different hoses, dryer and evaporator.

I am have the York year truck but will run the 83> compressor like I pictured so I think I will have to make hoses to fit from what I am leaning.

If I was you I would get another compressor like you have, brackets can be hard to come by so I found out, and either flush or replace the evap / condenser, replace the dryer, and go from there.

Dave ----

FYI this is what the 83> compressor & bracket looks like. not my setup I need the compressor still.

Now for you to use it from what I can see you would need to find the motor brackets.

Now there are 2 different type of brackets for this pump. 1 uses the same P/S pump you have used on pick up's and think cars with a 300 six. the other is used in vans and uses a different P/S pump.

So if you find a van you would need to get all the brackets, AC & P/S, along with the both pumps and hoses. I would not use the AC pump on the truck but as a core for a new / rebuilt one.

And because your pump went bad you either need to replace other parts or flush them really really good.

The replacement condenser is not a bolt in. It is made for the newer trucks so you have to use spacers and longer bolts to get it to bolt up, same for the grille IIRC to clear the condenser.

I know the early (80-82 switch over year IIRC) used York compressors so they have different hoses, dryer and evaporator.

I am have the York year truck but will run the 83> compressor like I pictured so I think I will have to make hoses to fit from what I am leaning.

If I was you I would get another compressor like you have, brackets can be hard to come by so I found out, and either flush or replace the evap / condenser, replace the dryer, and go from there.

Dave ----

Dave, your compressor looks like the compressor on my 86, 5.0. Just wondering out loud if the hoses and such will work on your 4.9.

Dave ----

Dave, Me and my son just pulled his a/c out of his mustang. Not putting it back in. From what I remember it looks like the one in the picture. It still had charge in it and working. Would you be interested in it if he will let it go? Bruce

Dave, Me and my son just pulled his a/c out of his mustang. Not putting it back in. From what I remember it looks like the one in the picture. It still had charge in it and working. Would you be interested in it if he will let it go? Bruce

It was an 83 mustang.