Bullnose Forums

Old School Cool

Jacob84

Thanks Jacob. I should have guessed that you had a proper lift kit. Ray recently installed something similar(his might have been 4"?), but he also got the alignment close, not sure which bushings he has, I think the adjustable ones.

Anyway, I only have leveling coils... And even with 3.5deg adjustable bushings I can't get to neutral camber. I'm searching for ones with more adjustment, but not sure if they exist. In hindsight I should also have done a proper lift, or left it stock.

Gary- Awesome, then I’ll just pass on the clear coat. And I’m glad it made sense, sometimes I can be a little scattered:nabble_smiley_happy:

Rob- Are the axle pivot bushings and balljoints still in good shape? If they’re worn out I wouldn’t think they’d give you more camber, most likely less. But I’m sure you’re looking for anything that could help, I know how frustrating it is. I believe Ray’s was a four inch lift. I’ve looked as well and can’t find any others with more adjustments. I have seen what I believe to be shims that go in between the spindle and the knuckle but I don’t think they’ll offer very much adjustment and it would be a pain to take all of that apart for only a small change. How much positive are the tires? Are they visibly tipped out? 1.5 inch leveling coils? How many miles do you have on them? A lot of questions but I’d like to help!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary- Awesome, then I’ll just pass on the clear coat. And I’m glad it made sense, sometimes I can be a little scattered:nabble_smiley_happy:

Rob- Are the axle pivot bushings and balljoints still in good shape? If they’re worn out I wouldn’t think they’d give you more camber, most likely less. But I’m sure you’re looking for anything that could help, I know how frustrating it is. I believe Ray’s was a four inch lift. I’ve looked as well and can’t find any others with more adjustments. I have seen what I believe to be shims that go in between the spindle and the knuckle but I don’t think they’ll offer very much adjustment and it would be a pain to take all of that apart for only a small change. How much positive are the tires? Are they visibly tipped out? 1.5 inch leveling coils? How many miles do you have on them? A lot of questions but I’d like to help!

Everything is new. Yes, 1.5'" leveling coils, supposedly designed to work with stock components...:nabble_smiley_uh: I needed different shocks! The coils have been on the truck for 4 years, but only about 6-9 months with the full weight on it. Less than 500 miles. I'm hoping it will settle more, it certainly did in the beginning, but not much lately.

Currently the passenger's side is +1.8deg with the alignment bushing maxed out. The driver's side is +2.4 with about 1/4deg of adjustment left. It's not maxed out, because I was unable to get the hub assembled in that position. The angle between the knuckle and beam is so severe, that the axle came out the spindle at a slight angle. I had to back it off one setting to get everything on and then I was(and have been) unable to get it back to max. The machine at the shop showed 1.8deg as the limit for camber. So it's close, but the driver's side is visibly out, not much, but I notice it. The passenger's side looks neutral. My concern is that even with different bushings I would run into the same problem during assembly.

Anyway, the truck drives great. I'll keep an eye on the tire wear, but my gut feeling is that I'll be more likely to replace the tires from age rather than wear...

Everything is new. Yes, 1.5'" leveling coils, supposedly designed to work with stock components...:nabble_smiley_uh: I needed different shocks! The coils have been on the truck for 4 years, but only about 6-9 months with the full weight on it. Less than 500 miles. I'm hoping it will settle more, it certainly did in the beginning, but not much lately.

Currently the passenger's side is +1.8deg with the alignment bushing maxed out. The driver's side is +2.4 with about 1/4deg of adjustment left. It's not maxed out, because I was unable to get the hub assembled in that position. The angle between the knuckle and beam is so severe, that the axle came out the spindle at a slight angle. I had to back it off one setting to get everything on and then I was(and have been) unable to get it back to max. The machine at the shop showed 1.8deg as the limit for camber. So it's close, but the driver's side is visibly out, not much, but I notice it. The passenger's side looks neutral. My concern is that even with different bushings I would run into the same problem during assembly.

Anyway, the truck drives great. I'll keep an eye on the tire wear, but my gut feeling is that I'll be more likely to replace the tires from age rather than wear...

What brand were the coils? I’d be interested to know what the installed height of those particular coils are supposed to be and the spring rate. Your truck being a regular cab and inline six, it’s pretty light on the front end. Compare that to an extended cab with a 351w there’s a big difference in the weight on the front end and the coils are different. A lot of the times lift companies throw one set of coils at several different types of trucks when the factory had different coils for each application. If you had a set of leveling coils truly meant for an extended cab with a heavier motor in you truck I could see them lifting your reg cab truck up higher therefore changing the camber.

There is also a chance that it will settle significantly. Mine definitely did. When I first put the lift on I could’ve had 3 degrees of positive camber.

Also doesn’t hurt to lay under the truck and just look for anything that is out of whack. Crawl around with a tape measure and measure the coils, height of each corner of the truck, etc. Could reveal some interesting details or point you in a direction. Something obviously isn’t right. You might have already done a lot of that, sounds like you’ve been battling it for awhile, but there’s where I would start.

If the truck drives great and it’s not something that really bothers you then run it. I bet it’ll settle some too. If it makes you feel any better, most guys, that have been around the block a few times, that I know just expect these trucks to wear tires funny. Not that it’s an excuse to not try and get it right but it’s not uncommon for stuff like this.

What brand were the coils? I’d be interested to know what the installed height of those particular coils are supposed to be and the spring rate. Your truck being a regular cab and inline six, it’s pretty light on the front end. Compare that to an extended cab with a 351w there’s a big difference in the weight on the front end and the coils are different. A lot of the times lift companies throw one set of coils at several different types of trucks when the factory had different coils for each application. If you had a set of leveling coils truly meant for an extended cab with a heavier motor in you truck I could see them lifting your reg cab truck up higher therefore changing the camber.

There is also a chance that it will settle significantly. Mine definitely did. When I first put the lift on I could’ve had 3 degrees of positive camber.

Also doesn’t hurt to lay under the truck and just look for anything that is out of whack. Crawl around with a tape measure and measure the coils, height of each corner of the truck, etc. Could reveal some interesting details or point you in a direction. Something obviously isn’t right. You might have already done a lot of that, sounds like you’ve been battling it for awhile, but there’s where I would start.

If the truck drives great and it’s not something that really bothers you then run it. I bet it’ll settle some too. If it makes you feel any better, most guys, that have been around the block a few times, that I know just expect these trucks to wear tires funny. Not that it’s an excuse to not try and get it right but it’s not uncommon for stuff like this.

After searching for the info on the coils, I've probably found the root of the issue too. They are supposedly Procomp 24212 2" lift coils, probably 1/2" too much... Bushings AC Delco 45K6526.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help. I'm hoping it settles some more, but if it doesn't I'm content to drive it as is. I might change out the coils(maybe to a true lift) sometime in the distant future...

After searching for the info on the coils, I've probably found the root of the issue too. They are supposedly Procomp 24212 2" lift coils, probably 1/2" too much... Bushings AC Delco 45K6526.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help. I'm hoping it settles some more, but if it doesn't I'm content to drive it as is. I might change out the coils(maybe to a true lift) sometime in the distant future...

I would say that would be the most probable explanation too. I’m sure it’ll settle a little more from what I’ve seen. If you decide to lift it and have questions I’d be more than happy to help. I’ve got experience with Rough Country and there are a few things they don’t tell you. But in general there are options for the TTB from a small 2.5 inch lift to a full blown prerunner set up with cut and turned beams and coilovers (Solo Motorsports, they have some slick stuff but it’s not cheap). Depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to do.

Not a problem, I’m happy to help anytime I can!

I would say that would be the most probable explanation too. I’m sure it’ll settle a little more from what I’ve seen. If you decide to lift it and have questions I’d be more than happy to help. I’ve got experience with Rough Country and there are a few things they don’t tell you. But in general there are options for the TTB from a small 2.5 inch lift to a full blown prerunner set up with cut and turned beams and coilovers (Solo Motorsports, they have some slick stuff but it’s not cheap). Depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to do.

Not a problem, I’m happy to help anytime I can!

So this is kinda what I’m looking to do to my wheels. Looks pretty good?

958A178F-6BB2-4ECC-B6ED-45F97B5671FB.thumb.jpeg.17fb2962b4d7d3df8fe8e426a2ff2b10.jpeg

I’m also open to just painting the entire wheel argent silver like this.

957C59F9-F1C5-4FAD-84BF-0C40265E4585.jpeg.024fee787747e9376fa6c8784af06876.jpeg

I don’t want the styling of the truck to look too busy. It’s already got a two tone paint job, chrome bumpers, and black plastic trim. There’s a lot going on. What do y’all think? Here are some more pictures of the truck.

A0C3D8E8-16CE-463A-AA9E-04BCCCF22E2A.jpeg.8eecc0c918d695412eb149fe37f0a9ad.jpeg

166A5632-4A92-481B-9FD2-216DBD33B815.thumb.jpeg.5026e8caef37900a911687b2003fd0a4.jpeg

A09DAD57-0068-415C-8BEA-036897624DFA.thumb.jpeg.1872c02af9da7a6347a5fda4d74bc6af.jpeg

Excuse the door, decades old body work from where the original owner ran a fork lift into it. And I was test fitting some steps I got off the parts truck. They’re supposedly worth some money. I’ll also be swapping out the grille for the original argent grille.

I don’t want the styling of the truck to look too busy. It’s already got a two tone paint job, chrome bumpers, and black plastic trim. There’s a lot going on. What do y’all think? Here are some more pictures of the truck.

Excuse the door, decades old body work from where the original owner ran a fork lift into it. And I was test fitting some steps I got off the parts truck. They’re supposedly worth some money. I’ll also be swapping out the grille for the original argent grille.

I like the two-tone plan. Maybe paint the ribs silver instead of clear-coating them?

I really like the wheels with the Yokohama's on them.

But like you I'm a huge fan of steelies with the type 3 wheel covers.

I can't begin to tell you which way to go.

But I hope you're really happy to see those wheels whenever you walk out to your truck. :nabble_smiley_good:

I really like the wheels with the Yokohama's on them.

But like you I'm a huge fan of steelies with the type 3 wheel covers.

I can't begin to tell you which way to go.

But I hope you're really happy to see those wheels whenever you walk out to your truck. :nabble_smiley_good:

x3 for two-tone...:nabble_smiley_good:

x3 for two-tone...:nabble_smiley_good:

Exactly, I’ll be painting the the spokes silver and the pockets black, give a nice contrast:nabble_smiley_happy:

If the steelies I have could handle a 12.5 inch wide tire I’d have a very hard decision to make. Whenever I do something like this I just go for it. I know whatever I do I’ll grow to love it lol.

Looks like I’ll be moving forward with painting them, will keep y’all updated:nabble_smiley_cool: