Bullnose Forums

Old School Cool

Jacob84

Well that’s a bummer. We’re supposed to have a ton of rain soon but if I can get the chance I’ll crawl under the truck and measure the 208 and get the 1356 measured also. I trust your measurements but just to confirm I’ll check it out. I appreciate it!

So I was able to get the t cases measured. I think I may have gotten lucky. Both cases I have are slip yoke rather than flanged. From the mounting surface on the front to the point where the rear seal sits in the tail housing they both came out to 19 1/2 inches give or take an 1/8 to a 1/4. Once I make sure the stick out length of the outputs are the same I’ll call it good.

So in my measurements the BW1356 is the same length as the NP208, or close enough for government work. I shouldn’t have to make modifications to the driveshafts. I’ll triple check though.

So I’ll replace a couple seals, change out the tail housing for one with the speedo hole, do the pump modification, do a basic once over, and put it in. I’ve got both sets of linkages for each case so I’m sure I can make it work.

The 1356 is said to be a lot stronger so I’m looking forward to this, especially since the case cost me nada:nabble_smiley_evil:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was able to get the t cases measured. I think I may have gotten lucky. Both cases I have are slip yoke rather than flanged. From the mounting surface on the front to the point where the rear seal sits in the tail housing they both came out to 19 1/2 inches give or take an 1/8 to a 1/4. Once I make sure the stick out length of the outputs are the same I’ll call it good.

So in my measurements the BW1356 is the same length as the NP208, or close enough for government work. I shouldn’t have to make modifications to the driveshafts. I’ll triple check though.

So I’ll replace a couple seals, change out the tail housing for one with the speedo hole, do the pump modification, do a basic once over, and put it in. I’ve got both sets of linkages for each case so I’m sure I can make it work.

The 1356 is said to be a lot stronger so I’m looking forward to this, especially since the case cost me nada:nabble_smiley_evil:

Shafts and splines should be the same.

Ford used the same adapter piece for decades.

Read what's been written about the 1356's achilles heel.

The pump stay wearing through the case webbing, and spinning with the output shaft.

Mine seized this summer, and left me stuck in Vermont while trying to get all the pieces together.

Shafts and splines should be the same.

Ford used the same adapter piece for decades.

Read what's been written about the 1356's achilles heel.

The pump stay wearing through the case webbing, and spinning with the output shaft.

Mine seized this summer, and left me stuck in Vermont while trying to get all the pieces together.

Welding a bolt shank to the pump 'finger' is NBD, but if you're going in, you might want fresh seals.

Welding a bolt shank to the pump 'finger' is NBD, but if you're going in, you might want fresh seals.

I'm glad your measurements show that they'll swap. But I agree with Jim, if you are going to refresh the t-case you should seriously consider upgrading the oil pump arm.

I'm glad your measurements show that they'll swap. But I agree with Jim, if you are going to refresh the t-case you should seriously consider upgrading the oil pump arm.

I’ll definitely be doing whatever I need to do to the pump to make it reliable. And if I split the case apart I’ll be replacing any seal I can reasonably replace. I’m not concerned with much else though. The truck it came out of has probably never been in 4WD except maybe a couple of times if that.

I’ll definitely be doing whatever I need to do to the pump to make it reliable. And if I split the case apart I’ll be replacing any seal I can reasonably replace. I’m not concerned with much else though. The truck it came out of has probably never been in 4WD except maybe a couple of times if that.

My truck doesn't see 4X4 very often either, but the pump and tailshaft are turning all the time.

Just a heads-up. :nabble_smiley_cool:

And, to what do you attribute that?

Chicken and the egg.

I can't be certain if the pump spun and seized, or -somehow- the TC lost its fluid and the pump ran dry causing the seizure.

A) the tab was too mangled to tell if it would have been captured by the web inside the case.

B) I couldn't get a new pump retainer to compare.

C) the transfer case was pretty dry and the output seal cooked, but I hadn't noticed it was wet before the trip.

I don't normally check gearbox, transfer case or differential fluid.

(Unless I see/hear something amiss)

A return trip to southwestern Vermont is less than I'd put on my truck in a week.