Bullnose Forum

Old School Cool

Jacob84

If a deer wants to kill its self no light will stop it!

I almost got a 6 to 8 point buck this morning with the work truck, 80K TG I was only doing 30 MPH, limit was 35 but it was 430 and dark no street lights. He also jumped out of the brush when I was going around a curve.

As for the head lights may I ask you to try the relay kit with the light bulbs you have now 1 or 2 dark runs just to see the difference.

Then add the H4 bulbs so you / we know what the difference is between them all is.

I think I ran the standard halogen sealed bulbs with out the relays and they were ok.

I then added the relays and it was night and day. I like the pattern on both low & high beams and puts light down the road where I like it. It puts my 02 Durango head lights to shame.

I would like to see what you think between the 3 different setups is all.

Dave ----

You ain’t kidding, Dave. I’m genuinely surprised I haven’t hit one yet, I’ve come very very close (or one hit me). Reminds me of a time when my dad and I were coming back from town and on a four lane highway. Came up a hill and a herd, quite literally a herd, of deer ran across the highway during rush hour. There was carnage everywhere. A very nice, freshly redone, 80s dump truck got it’s front end destroyed. All sorts of various cars and trucks were damaged. Had one hit our truck and bounce into the bed then proceeded to bounce/jump out. It was a rough day to be a motorist or a deer.

I’d be happy to give y’all feedback on what it looks like. I took some pictures tonight. Although, they are pretty poor quality due to my camera not being able to focus. Maybe from not having a bright enough light source lol. Anyways, I’ll give everyone some good feedback so others can reference this to make a good decision. I’ll try to take some more “driver view” pictures so y’all can see what it looks like from inside the truck on each upgrade.

1) So everything is stock right now, I have a good baseline and pictures for that. I think Paul Revere had more light from his lantern when he was warning everyone that the British were coming.

2) Next will be the upgraded harness.

3) I’ll then install the Hella ECE H4 conversion headlights with their standard bulb

4) I will install Hella’s high wattage bulbs 90w/130w (they’re cheap so might as well)

I’ll take pictures from at the same place so that it’ll be a more even comparison. Looking forward to this. If there’s any other tests within reason or pictures y’all would like to see, let me know!

You ain’t kidding, Dave. I’m genuinely surprised I haven’t hit one yet, I’ve come very very close (or one hit me). Reminds me of a time when my dad and I were coming back from town and on a four lane highway. Came up a hill and a herd, quite literally a herd, of deer ran across the highway during rush hour. There was carnage everywhere. A very nice, freshly redone, 80s dump truck got it’s front end destroyed. All sorts of various cars and trucks were damaged. Had one hit our truck and bounce into the bed then proceeded to bounce/jump out. It was a rough day to be a motorist or a deer.

I’d be happy to give y’all feedback on what it looks like. I took some pictures tonight. Although, they are pretty poor quality due to my camera not being able to focus. Maybe from not having a bright enough light source lol. Anyways, I’ll give everyone some good feedback so others can reference this to make a good decision. I’ll try to take some more “driver view” pictures so y’all can see what it looks like from inside the truck on each upgrade.

1) So everything is stock right now, I have a good baseline and pictures for that. I think Paul Revere had more light from his lantern when he was warning everyone that the British were coming.

2) Next will be the upgraded harness.

3) I’ll then install the Hella ECE H4 conversion headlights with their standard bulb

4) I will install Hella’s high wattage bulbs 90w/130w (they’re cheap so might as well)

I’ll take pictures from at the same place so that it’ll be a more even comparison. Looking forward to this. If there’s any other tests within reason or pictures y’all would like to see, let me know!

The problem you are going to have is that the camera will adjust to make the lighting look the same. That's what cameras do - they make every scene have the same amount of light by adjusting the shutter speed, lens opening, and ISO setting - the film speed.

So if you are using a real camera the trick is to go into your baseline pics and determine what shutter speed, f-stop (lens opening), and ISO rating it used on those pics. Then put the camera in Manual mode and dial those settings in. That way if you have more lighting on the next pic it'll look brighter.

The problem you are going to have is that the camera will adjust to make the lighting look the same. That's what cameras do - they make every scene have the same amount of light by adjusting the shutter speed, lens opening, and ISO setting - the film speed.

So if you are using a real camera the trick is to go into your baseline pics and determine what shutter speed, f-stop (lens opening), and ISO rating it used on those pics. Then put the camera in Manual mode and dial those settings in. That way if you have more lighting on the next pic it'll look brighter.

Ahhh, that makes sense. I’ll try to fiddle with the camera we got or come up with a different way to measure things other than “it’s brighter”. Open to suggestions:nabble_smiley_good:

Ahhh, that makes sense. I’ll try to fiddle with the camera we got or come up with a different way to measure things other than “it’s brighter”. Open to suggestions:nabble_smiley_good:

I'm not sure what kind of phone you have, but there are many photo apps that have a manual mode where you can lock the ISO and F-stop.

While that might result in a washed out image with brighter lights it will be representative.

I'm not sure what kind of phone you have, but there are many photo apps that have a manual mode where you can lock the ISO and F-stop.

While that might result in a washed out image with brighter lights it will be representative.

Jim - That's exactly what I was going to say. I don't have an experience with any of those apps because my shop camera lets me take full control of it. But if I didn't have it I'd try one of those apps.

Jim - That's exactly what I was going to say. I don't have an experience with any of those apps because my shop camera lets me take full control of it. But if I didn't have it I'd try one of those apps.

So I got a different camera app on my phone that will let me take pictures the way y’all described. That’s gonna be nice:nabble_anim_claps:

My family did thanksgiving a couple weeks ago so I worked on the truck today. I got a lot done. Replaced a u-joint, tail housing bushing and seal, added the upgraded headlight harness, put in new taillights (nice and shiny now), rerouted some vacuum lines, greased a couple things, and fiddled around some with the ignition timing.

The truck shakes a little less violently at speed but it’s far from good. I’m gonna go over the front end again. I’m also curious about the rear end. I know it needs to be rebuilt or a new third member put in but I wonder if that would make the truck shake going down the road? It has a ton of slack in it. The front end has been rebuilt with Moog components and I have a steering stabilizer, but something could still be out of whack. Could be something with the lift but I’ve been keeping a close eye on it. The plot thickens. Hope all of y’all had a Happy Thanksgiving!

So I got a different camera app on my phone that will let me take pictures the way y’all described. That’s gonna be nice:nabble_anim_claps:

My family did thanksgiving a couple weeks ago so I worked on the truck today. I got a lot done. Replaced a u-joint, tail housing bushing and seal, added the upgraded headlight harness, put in new taillights (nice and shiny now), rerouted some vacuum lines, greased a couple things, and fiddled around some with the ignition timing.

The truck shakes a little less violently at speed but it’s far from good. I’m gonna go over the front end again. I’m also curious about the rear end. I know it needs to be rebuilt or a new third member put in but I wonder if that would make the truck shake going down the road? It has a ton of slack in it. The front end has been rebuilt with Moog components and I have a steering stabilizer, but something could still be out of whack. Could be something with the lift but I’ve been keeping a close eye on it. The plot thickens. Hope all of y’all had a Happy Thanksgiving!

Have you checked the driveshaft? I've seen worn splines in the shaft cause quite a bit of shaking with certain throttle settings. So does it matter if you are coasting or on the gas or off?

As for checking the driveshaft, try to push the splined joint sideways. It shouldn't move, but if it does you may have a problem.

And, how much did the headlight harness help?

Have you checked the driveshaft? I've seen worn splines in the shaft cause quite a bit of shaking with certain throttle settings. So does it matter if you are coasting or on the gas or off?

As for checking the driveshaft, try to push the splined joint sideways. It shouldn't move, but if it does you may have a problem.

And, how much did the headlight harness help?

I’m 99% sure the driveshaft is okay, although I’m gonna look over it again, maybe it’s bent a little? Don’t know how it would be but I’ve also bent an axle flange before and didn’t know how it happened. It’s a solid piece with a slip yoke into the transfer case. Although the front shaft has a slip joint built in and it’s wore out, but I rarely roll down the road with the hubs locked.

I’ve tried replicating it but I can’t seem to find a repeating factor other than it gets worse with speed and I may have another thudding/shake when going around curves on the highway. Or that one may be the same vibration just intensified going around curves. I may hit the road with a notepad and write down everything I feel. I’m gonna try to get out there today and put my hands everything and see if I can find anything loose.

As for the headlight harness, Dave said earlier, it is a night and day difference. I’d highly recommend anyone to do that upgrade. It is much brighter. I got some good pics too. In the next couple nights I’ll plug the original harness back in and take some more pics with the same camera settings. I’ll do a big post with all the pictures and my opinion on them. The new Hella ECE lights are on their way and some 130/90w light bulbs as well. Looking forward to this. The one big thing I’m looking forward to is having a more focused light. Although the original sealed beams are much brighter, they are not very focused.

I’m 99% sure the driveshaft is okay, although I’m gonna look over it again, maybe it’s bent a little? Don’t know how it would be but I’ve also bent an axle flange before and didn’t know how it happened. It’s a solid piece with a slip yoke into the transfer case. Although the front shaft has a slip joint built in and it’s wore out, but I rarely roll down the road with the hubs locked.

I’ve tried replicating it but I can’t seem to find a repeating factor other than it gets worse with speed and I may have another thudding/shake when going around curves on the highway. Or that one may be the same vibration just intensified going around curves. I may hit the road with a notepad and write down everything I feel. I’m gonna try to get out there today and put my hands everything and see if I can find anything loose.

As for the headlight harness, Dave said earlier, it is a night and day difference. I’d highly recommend anyone to do that upgrade. It is much brighter. I got some good pics too. In the next couple nights I’ll plug the original harness back in and take some more pics with the same camera settings. I’ll do a big post with all the pictures and my opinion on them. The new Hella ECE lights are on their way and some 130/90w light bulbs as well. Looking forward to this. The one big thing I’m looking forward to is having a more focused light. Although the original sealed beams are much brighter, they are not very focused.

Did some more investigating into the shudder/shake going on with the truck. I’ve always had a problem with the spindle nuts backing off on the Dana44 front end therefore losing preload on the bearings and having a bunch of play. I periodically lift the wheels off the ground and check for play. I’m at the point now that I could disassemble the hub blindfolded in less than five minutes. I found some play in the passenger side bearing and got that fixed. I also found a little bit of looseness in the front end but I’m still trying to figure out where it’s at.

Here’s where I think the real problem is. I think the worst of it is in the rear. The steering can get a little bit of a shake sometimes but it doesn’t correlate with the severe shudder I get when turning right on the highway. I also noticed the driver side rear axle seal is leaking. Doesn’t surprise me, I can’t keep an axle seal in that rear end. I think with it having so much play in the third member the seals just don’t last like they should. But maybe a bearing is toast. I’ll find out what it is today now that I’ve narrowed it down. I’m ready for the truck to be smooth again lol

Did some more investigating into the shudder/shake going on with the truck. I’ve always had a problem with the spindle nuts backing off on the Dana44 front end therefore losing preload on the bearings and having a bunch of play. I periodically lift the wheels off the ground and check for play. I’m at the point now that I could disassemble the hub blindfolded in less than five minutes. I found some play in the passenger side bearing and got that fixed. I also found a little bit of looseness in the front end but I’m still trying to figure out where it’s at.

Here’s where I think the real problem is. I think the worst of it is in the rear. The steering can get a little bit of a shake sometimes but it doesn’t correlate with the severe shudder I get when turning right on the highway. I also noticed the driver side rear axle seal is leaking. Doesn’t surprise me, I can’t keep an axle seal in that rear end. I think with it having so much play in the third member the seals just don’t last like they should. But maybe a bearing is toast. I’ll find out what it is today now that I’ve narrowed it down. I’m ready for the truck to be smooth again lol

I'm not sure if your 9" will accept the type but 10.25" rears are notorious for wheel seals.

Ford even has a TSB for an upgraded Scottseal type seal, where essentially there is an interlocking inner and outer non-moving lip seal.

So the inner turns with the axle and all relative motion is in the seal itself.

If you don't have these (and can fit them) it is a solution to investigate.