Bullnose Forums

Subie Cooling Problem Solved?

Fearing it is part of the Gates family I Googled Robertshaw and found this: "USA: Controls company Robertshaw Holdings has been acquired by a subsidiary of New-York-based private equity company One Rock Capital Partners."

I'm well aware of all the 'investment portfolios' that buy up and gut iconic brands.

Then we have things like Berkshire Hathaway, who own dozens of American icons, and seem to provide support and a way forward.

I don't know what to say

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm well aware of all the 'investment portfolios' that buy up and gut iconic brands.

Then we have things like Berkshire Hathaway, who own dozens of American icons, and seem to provide support and a way forward.

I don't know what to say

It's sad that all of the good, older companies are being bought up just to be raped for all of the money possible. That's why I push OEM parts if they're available! (OK, that pays my bills, but that's beside the point... :nabble_smiley_evil:)

It's sad that all of the good, older companies are being bought up just to be raped for all of the money possible. That's why I push OEM parts if they're available! (OK, that pays my bills, but that's beside the point... :nabble_smiley_evil:)

That was my first question when Gary mentioned that the Subaru needed a new cap.

But he said the dealer was in Broken Arrow, and it was too far when the LAP was right there.

I guess you roll the dice and take your chances.. :nabble_anim_confused:

That was my first question when Gary mentioned that the Subaru needed a new cap.

But he said the dealer was in Broken Arrow, and it was too far when the LAP was right there.

I guess you roll the dice and take your chances.. :nabble_anim_confused:

Yes, I obviously should have gotten one from Subaru. Still could as David found one for the same price I paid for the one from Stant: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Subaru-Radiator-Pressure-Cap-Forester-Impreza-Outback-Legacy-Baja/143040584700?epid=192031538&hash=item214de21bfc:g:pMsAAOSwqu9U2U35

Thanks, David!

Yes, I obviously should have gotten one from Subaru. Still could as David found one for the same price I paid for the one from Stant: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Subaru-Radiator-Pressure-Cap-Forester-Impreza-Outback-Legacy-Baja/143040584700?epid=192031538&hash=item214de21bfc:g:pMsAAOSwqu9U2U35

Thanks, David!

David's just amazing with his eBay sleuthing! 👑

I'm sure the dealer makes parts deliveries to local garages.

Maybe you should befriend the neighborhood repair shop?

Maybe you should just hang out a shingle of your own?

I'm sure the dealer makes parts deliveries to local garages.

Maybe you should befriend the neighborhood repair shop?

Maybe you should just hang out a shingle of your own?

I'm on a first name basis with the repair guy. As I am with DeWayne from Skiatook Auto Parts where I bought that part.

But I do not want to hang out a shingle. I already have a number of people calling on me. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Jim, you are making me blush. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Just an update on this, our SiL said he pushed the Subie to "at least the speed limit" on his way to Jenks two days ago. Yesterday morn he checked the coolant level in the expansion tank and it was right where it was when he left here.

The kids are coming tomorrow evening to get Blue for their trip to Colorado as I want to make sure they have an enjoyable trip, and they are leaving the Subie. So Saturday morn Janey and I'll take it on jaunt to a quilt shop in Hennesey, which is 125 miles away. It is supposed to be warm and we'll use the turnpike part of the way, so this should be a good test.

Just an update on this, our SiL said he pushed the Subie to "at least the speed limit" on his way to Jenks two days ago. Yesterday morn he checked the coolant level in the expansion tank and it was right where it was when he left here.

The kids are coming tomorrow evening to get Blue for their trip to Colorado as I want to make sure they have an enjoyable trip, and they are leaving the Subie. So Saturday morn Janey and I'll take it on jaunt to a quilt shop in Hennesey, which is 125 miles away. It is supposed to be warm and we'll use the turnpike part of the way, so this should be a good test.

Well, it ain't fixed. Yesterday we drove it 275 miles, most of which was running 65 - 75 MPH with a very strong crosswind. The temp never wavered, sitting exactly where it always does.

But the expansion tank, which started just a bit higher than the Full mark, was almost completely full when the trip was over. Not so full that we'd lost any, but still very full.

And this morning it hadn't sucked any back into the radiator. Granted it was still warm in the garage, with the outside temp 79 degrees and in the garage it may be in the 80's. But it hadn't pulled any back. And when I pulled the radiator cap it spit a bit of coolant out of the expansion tank. I don't know if there was still pressure in the system, but it didn't feel like it.

I'm thinking the cap isn't opening up and allowing the vacuum to suck coolant back in. So, I want to put a Subaru cap on it and do more testing, and think we'll drive down to BA to the Subie dealer tomorrow to get one. (Should have purchased the one David found. :nabble_smiley_blush:)

And I'm also going to pull the hose from the radiator's neck to the expansion tank and make sure it doesn't have any leaks.

Then I'm going to pull the fan connectors and let it idle until the temp comes up, at which point it should push coolant into the tank. And I'll shut it off and see what happens.

Anybody with better ideas?