Bullnose Forums

New Air Compressor

Danny G

So I will be parting ways with my various Kobalt / Kobalt queittech compressors and tomorrow I will be picking up the new addition to the shop. This 80 gallon Porter Cable Compressor. Lowes is supposed to beat the competition by 10%. HD has it on sale for $1040 which means you can get this from Lowes for $936 right now so I sold a few things to cover most of it, and once I sell my 29gallon and 4.3gallon quiet tech it should be a zero sum game.

This will let me run tools I could not before. Especially this new pneumatic spade/scraper/chisel in the house to remove glued down floor and in the back yard to cut through some stumps.

compressor.png.a12e90023dfbd3900d62092585ad23e1.png

comp.png.297223b0cbd0641584abcba064eedac7.png

I think you'll be really happy with that compressor. I looked at it before I bought the one I have. It sure looked good, and going with a single-stage unit is the right way to go.

It is an up grade to what he had but the two stage compressor is the way to go.

What I don't get is the 3 piston but single stage?

They must use the 3 pistons to get the 14 SCFM @ 90 PSI

So what tool do you have that uses the most SCFM @ what PSI?

This is what you base what compressor you need so it will not be running 100% of the time and still lose PSI.

Do you plan to plumb the shop or just run a hose off the compressor?

Have you thought of a air drier / cooler? It is easy to make one.

I can put you on to a plumbing kit & DIY drier.

Both will make your compressor more enjoyable.

Dave ----

I think you'll be really happy with that compressor. I looked at it before I bought the one I have. It sure looked good, and going with a single-stage unit is the right way to go.

This is what you base what compressor you need so it will not be running 100% of the time and still lose PSI.

Dave ----

I disagree on the single vs two-stage compressor. I don't need anything above 90 psi. All of my tools are rated at that.

When I was shopping I called tech support at Eagle Compressor they explained that a single-stage compressor puts out more CFM than a two-stage if they both have the same motor. So they strongly encouraged me to go single.

The goal is to run less than 50% of the time so the compressor and the air can cool and the moisture can be removed.

Dave ----

Going to plumb it up in the garage and run plumbing to the 12x16 shed/shop im building. Behind the garage. Definitely have a lot of moisture to deal with here. I have a filter dryer regulator combo on the wall with just a hose to it. Most of the moisture backflows into the tank and I have to drain it. I need to get a good set up for dry clean air. Going to be running HVLP, sand blasters and other tools off of the unit. It was supposed to be here today but I didn't get a call and was at appointments all day anyway. I'll be going by in the AM to sell my old welder and check up on the order.

Basically it's going on the back wall of the garage for now. But I think in the future I would like it in the shed/shop outside due to noise and just plumbed into the garage.

I disagree on the single vs two-stage compressor. I don't need anything above 90 psi. All of my tools are rated at that.

When I was shopping I called tech support at Eagle Compressor they explained that a single-stage compressor puts out more CFM than a two-stage if they both have the same motor. So they strongly encouraged me to go single.

The goal is to run less than 50% of the time so the compressor and the air can cool and the moisture can be removed.

The Ingersoll Rand 80g single stage puts out 15.8 cfm @90 for about the same price as the Porter Cable. But I got the Porter Cable discounted. I need to go back in and get my other 10% which will drop it another $104.

The Ingersoll Rand 80g single stage puts out 15.8 cfm @90 for about the same price as the Porter Cable. But I got the Porter Cable discounted. I need to go back in and get my other 10% which will drop it another $104.

I'm running this Harbor Freight air drier. I fought with desiccant driers for a few years and discovered I'd already spent more than $400 on them and needed to spend more. Bought that thing and have had no problems. Love it.

image_11243.thumb.jpg.dc84c1ba579199202708dfb6f6f84136.jpg

I'm running this Harbor Freight air drier. I fought with desiccant driers for a few years and discovered I'd already spent more than $400 on them and needed to spend more. Bought that thing and have had no problems. Love it.

Looks like they don't make those anymore.

I have one of these on the wall currently I think I need a pre regulator. A lot of units like this I have found have a max PSI but also list a working PSI where it functions best.

Screenshot_20200625-113231.thumb.png.39a41b1dde389442f740ee609f514fda.png