Bullnose Forums

Fuel Leak!!!

Never good idea to have a fuel leak but I got one!

The old rubber pipe heading from the fuel door assembly to the tank has I small hole that has a constant leak!

I am not really sure how the it’s leaking as the tank is pretty much empty.

Anyways my question is about changing the hose. Do I have to drop the whole tank in order to get to where the tube enters the tank? It’s looks to be a tight squeeze between the top of the tank and the bed.

D383C66D-8C78-4BFF-BC21-56EC9F1D1733.jpeg.b9b7074a39e002bc54e689666daa522d.jpeg154E3E93-86B4-4B3B-925C-99A3408F2E6B.jpeg.da8e25dd5b5bc760bf7d203f39325ce3.jpeg

Glad you caught that. I don't think you'll have to remove the tank, but it might help to lower it using the nuts on the all-threads that hold it in.

I’ll take a look for those tomorrow.

I still can’t figure out why it leaks when not moving and an almost empty tank I am even parked on a small hill with the nose pointed down. Is fuel evaporating up the pipe, condensing and then leaking?

Glad you caught that. I don't think you'll have to remove the tank, but it might help to lower it using the nuts on the all-threads that hold it in.

You can do it without lowering the tank, but I hope he has small hands, it is pretty tight between the bed and rail. I would put a floor jack under the tank and remove both straps, lowering it just enough so that you can get your hand over the top of the tank to remove the clamp.

If the filler looks that rough, now would be the time to check out everything else too. Odds are anything else rubber down there isn't far behind.

You can do it without lowering the tank, but I hope he has small hands, it is pretty tight between the bed and rail. I would put a floor jack under the tank and remove both straps, lowering it just enough so that you can get your hand over the top of the tank to remove the clamp.

If the filler looks that rough, now would be the time to check out everything else too. Odds are anything else rubber down there isn't far behind.

I was going to start a new thread, but since it's relevant to this... Does anyone know of a good replacement filler hose? I got the Spectra hose from RA and it's too short. The same hose is available from AZ and all the reviews say as much... It seems AAP might have universal hoses available by the inch, I'll go by there tomorrow and check. Any other ideas?

I was going to start a new thread, but since it's relevant to this... Does anyone know of a good replacement filler hose? I got the Spectra hose from RA and it's too short. The same hose is available from AZ and all the reviews say as much... It seems AAP might have universal hoses available by the inch, I'll go by there tomorrow and check. Any other ideas?

Might try a boat yard as they should have hose for boat tanks.

Dave ----

Keep me posted on what you find.

Haven’t torn into it yet and a little nervous was to what I am going to find.

I got mine from LMC. Threw them in as I needed some stuff only they carried. Length was fine. The bends were acceptable. No complaints in the end.

When I was searching for one this weekend for my flareside, I could not find a single-piece hose, but I did find that Filler Neck Supply makes a kit specific to my truck:

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/1980-1981-1982-1983-1984-1985-1986-ford-f-series-stepside-outer-fuel-filler-hose-front-tank/

It hasn't arrived yet so I can't comment on how well it fits, but I'll report back in a week or so.