Bullnose Forums

How Difficult? Mirror Swap

Hello all,

I don't post very often, but I do quite a bit of reading. I've followed along from over at the other site where I was thebigtruck and last year got my grandpa's 84 F150. I've moved along through my worklist on it a bit, however slowly (but progress is progress), and now I'm looking at my mirrors. I'm wondering the difficulty of changing from a Type 5 to a Type 9 mirror? The current mirrors are pretty well shot/cracked/can't see out of them, and I like the Type 9 style that remind me of my first truck which was an 89 F150. Without having them in front of me, it looks like the upper screws will match fairly closely, and all that I'd need to do is put in the bottom set. I'm throwing it out there for y'all that have a bit more knowledge in your head than I do and maybe keep me from having an "oh crap" moment. Thanks!

If you get the correct year type 9 mirrors for your truck, the upper mounting holes are the same. The lower holes will need to be drilled and rivnuts installed. The rivnuts take a special tool to install, but any body shop could put them in for you.

If you get the correct year type 9 mirrors for your truck, the upper mounting holes are the same. The lower holes will need to be drilled and rivnuts installed. The rivnuts take a special tool to install, but any body shop could put them in for you.

There were two different lower mounts - two hole and three hole, as I described in this thread on FTE. But within those two categories the mounts themselves didn't change for well before and after the Bullnose era.

As for the rivnuts, the Ford mirror kit I got for my '72 F250 back in the early 70's came with nuts that pressed in and then expanded, which could be done from the outside. Or, you can pull the door panel and use regular nuts and washers from the inside.

There were two different lower mounts - two hole and three hole, as I described in this thread on FTE. But within those two categories the mounts themselves didn't change for well before and after the Bullnose era.

As for the rivnuts, the Ford mirror kit I got for my '72 F250 back in the early 70's came with nuts that pressed in and then expanded, which could be done from the outside. Or, you can pull the door panel and use regular nuts and washers from the inside.

Thanks guys. I reckon I'll order in the mirrors and see what I can do. I probably need to get into the door panels anyway since my windows need a little bit of assistance.

Correct, the issue I have is finding an M6X1.0 mandrel for it since the mirror mounting bolts are that thread on mine.

The mirrors I got thru LMC comes with the hardware.

Also has extra hardware (bolt/nuts/washers) to install the nut serts.

I have not installed them yet so cant say how well that works.

And yes the upper mirror holes do line up to the factory holes.

Dave ----

The mirrors I got thru LMC comes with the hardware.

Also has extra hardware (bolt/nuts/washers) to install the nut serts.

I have not installed them yet so cant say how well that works.

And yes the upper mirror holes do line up to the factory holes.

Dave ----

Thanks for all the replies, folks! Much appreciated.

• 11 months later...

Thought I'd give a year later update. I haven't been on here much as life got in the way a bit, but I'm still kicking around on Big Red.

Finally got around to doing the mirror swap. Wasn't bad at all, except for the nutserts in the LMC package - they installed easily enough, but the screws were gommed up or something and ended up unseating the nutserts. Oh well, I just pulled the door panel and I had some bolts that didn't look too trashy that I used with a lock washer and nut on the inside of the door. Problem solved - hey it's a farm truck anyway.

Before:

IMG_3525.jpg.1cde38f03a72551854d21f2da3f393eb.jpg

IMG_3527.jpg.25d6977abc875cb1c27b072c8849343d.jpg

After:

IMG_3529.jpg.cd68e299565de188bfecddad4e4c6fc6.jpg

IMG_3531.jpg.2dd39eb7f0d551fe35a18b30d80c6f20.jpg

Thought I'd give a year later update. I haven't been on here much as life got in the way a bit, but I'm still kicking around on Big Red.

Finally got around to doing the mirror swap. Wasn't bad at all, except for the nutserts in the LMC package - they installed easily enough, but the screws were gommed up or something and ended up unseating the nutserts. Oh well, I just pulled the door panel and I had some bolts that didn't look too trashy that I used with a lock washer and nut on the inside of the door. Problem solved - hey it's a farm truck anyway.

Before:

After:

They look a lot more "truck-like" than the smaller mirrors. Good job. :nabble_anim_claps: