Bullnose Forums

GM one-wire alternator

I went with the one wire on my rebuild and love it. Physically it may be slightly different as it's marketed as a 'Ford Upgrade' but same difference.

I would highly recommend the Rocketman gauge conversion. It is nice to know that the alt has kicked in. It has only happened once during tuning the motor but it didn't hit the rpm threshold and the alt didn't kick in till I gave it a bump. Something that will normally happen in daily use amyways.

I would also consider getting a spare alt harness that you cut up. That way if ever needed, you can easily swap back.

Here is the diagram of mine although the fuse portion changed somewhat as seen here: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/The-Camano-Experience-tp35327p48433.html

Keep us updated!

Scott, many thanks for the schematic! I will definitely look into the gauge conversion once I get things back up and running (currently doing Fuel Injection upgrade).

From the schematic, the top Yellow Wire with 60A fuse I think in my harness will be the Yellow splice wire for the Dark Green (with fusible link) and Orange (with fusible link) power feeds. So far, I have disconnected the C610 connector and associated voltage regulator and wires. This leaves the gauge wiring (LG-R, R-O, Y-LG) in the connector but not hooked up.

I find the oil pressure switch to choke coming from the relay to be interesting?

Appreciate the inputs/information. I'm by no means a mechanic, I'd say I am an interested "hobbyist". I also miss my truck, since my son has a paying yard cutting gig that you just need a truck for. He will have his license next year, so my plan is for him to drive the 85 back and forth to school, with A/C no less! :nabble_smiley_beam:

I find the oil pressure switch to choke coming from the relay to be interesting?

That was another change during implementation :nabble_smiley_beam: I am taking the factory wire after the factory oil pressure switch and triggering the choke relay using that. No reason to add another switch when the 86 460 had it in my case.

Sounds like this will be a great project and daily driver for your son.