Bullnose Forums

Thermostat issues?

Is the temperature swing while driving at higher speeds? Have you replaced the lower radiator hose and did the replacement hose come with an internal spring?

Yes i have, and what spring?!????

Some people say you should have a spring inside the lower radiator hose to keep the water pump from sucking it flat and stopping flow altogether.

I have a spring because my Gates hose came with one, but I have never seen it happen in a street driven vehicle.

After all, if there is 12-16 psi in the system how clogged would your radiator have to be, and how fast would you have to be turning the pump to defeat the bypass?

Some people say you should have a spring inside the lower radiator hose to keep the water pump from sucking it flat and stopping flow altogether.

I have a spring because my Gates hose came with one, but I have never seen it happen in a street driven vehicle.

After all, if there is 12-16 psi in the system how clogged would your radiator have to be, and how fast would you have to be turning the pump to defeat the bypass?

Interesting, thanks for that info. My lower hose is new and I have not notice it collapsing nor did I notice a spring in there...

What I did notice yesterday, as I had the Bronco on the driveway at idle as I was moving vehicles, after about 15-20 mins the needle got all the way to H on the gauge and I could hear a little radiator cap venting.

So I parked her and let her cool. I will change the thermostat out today and test the old one. I definitely have some issue here..

I checked the coolant level this morning and it was good. I have not checked the seep hole on the pump but I will get to that later too.

Yesterday was 94F so it was really hot out and bound to show any cooling issues...

Fun times...

Interesting, thanks for that info. My lower hose is new and I have not notice it collapsing nor did I notice a spring in there...

What I did notice yesterday, as I had the Bronco on the driveway at idle as I was moving vehicles, after about 15-20 mins the needle got all the way to H on the gauge and I could hear a little radiator cap venting.

So I parked her and let her cool. I will change the thermostat out today and test the old one. I definitely have some issue here..

I checked the coolant level this morning and it was good. I have not checked the seep hole on the pump but I will get to that later too.

Yesterday was 94F so it was really hot out and bound to show any cooling issues...

Fun times...

Do you think 94F is "really hot"?

I mean, consider the delta.

The truck had no load on it and the fan should be pulling plenty of air through the radiator.

Do you have a good fan shroud?

Do you think 94F is "really hot"?

I mean, consider the delta.

The truck had no load on it and the fan should be pulling plenty of air through the radiator.

Do you have a good fan shroud?

I sweat at 88F!

Fan and shroud are in good shape. It was the first hot day of the year, i always find big temp deltas makes old trucks misbehave. I think it was 46F in the morning..

Hoping to finish work early enough tomorrow to deal with it

I sweat at 88F!

Fan and shroud are in good shape. It was the first hot day of the year, i always find big temp deltas makes old trucks misbehave. I think it was 46F in the morning..

Hoping to finish work early enough tomorrow to deal with it

I've been working on new docks this week.

Beautiful views, but no a breeze has been brutal.

Just for S&G I brought my IR thermometer Tuesday, because I almost passed out from lack of electrolytes on Monday. (Had drank 7 liters of water, so I don't think I was too dehydrated)

Ipe deck boards were 152F, the black flotation tanks were over 200!

But I managed to pre drill and make my way through a couple of 25# tubs of 3" stainless screws.

I've no idea how hot the cleats and their 1/2 bolts were but their thermal mass was quite uncomfortable.

-Yes, I had it set on the correct emissivity-

Here's hoping you just have a sticky thermostat.

Be careful keeping it in place as you tighten up the housing.

I've been working on new docks this week.

Beautiful views, but no a breeze has been brutal.

Just for S&G I brought my IR thermometer Tuesday, because I almost passed out from lack of electrolytes on Monday. (Had drank 7 liters of water, so I don't think I was too dehydrated)

Ipe deck boards were 152F, the black flotation tanks were over 200!

But I managed to pre drill and make my way through a couple of 25# tubs of 3" stainless screws.

I've no idea how hot the cleats and their 1/2 bolts were but their thermal mass was quite uncomfortable.

-Yes, I had it set on the correct emissivity-

Here's hoping you just have a sticky thermostat.

Be careful keeping it in place as you tighten up the housing.

Holy smokes! I would have wilted. I do great in the cold, practically thrive in it, but the heat makes me irrational.

Looks like I will have time today to pull the thermostat.

Holy smokes! I would have wilted. I do great in the cold, practically thrive in it, but the heat makes me irrational.

Looks like I will have time today to pull the thermostat.

I have a new truck with similar issue. When I leave from work, it takes me about five minutes from startup to being on the freeway and if I have to floor it to get on the freeway, I see temps spike then settle down. Other than that the gauge is flat in the middle. My first idea is a sticky thermo. Once thats eliminated, troubleshooting can continue.

Sitting at idle will also cause higher than normal temps because theres no airflow and youre fan is running as slow as possible.

Stay cool!

I have a new truck with similar issue. When I leave from work, it takes me about five minutes from startup to being on the freeway and if I have to floor it to get on the freeway, I see temps spike then settle down. Other than that the gauge is flat in the middle. My first idea is a sticky thermo. Once thats eliminated, troubleshooting can continue.

Sitting at idle will also cause higher than normal temps because theres no airflow and youre fan is running as slow as possible.

Stay cool!

This is why the Ford system has a thermal control valve that gives the distributor full manifold vacuum and steps up the idle if the coolant temperature rises too high.

A little spike when the engine is first being warmed up is not uncommon.

I find my truck runs right around the O in daily driving, but my instruments work differently than Bullnose.

IMG_20200627_055606.jpg.8dca9074cac7d7ddc5dd4fe14684ed2f.jpg.

This is why the Ford system has a thermal control valve that gives the distributor full manifold vacuum and steps up the idle if the coolant temperature rises too high.

I find my truck runs right around the O in daily driving, but my instruments work differently than Bullnose.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n65787/IMG_20200627_055606.jpg.

Well, Jim, in that picture, the truck is certainly not idling! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n65787/IMG_20200627_055606.jpg.

Well, Jim, in that picture, the truck is certainly not idling! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

No, but it's right on the 'O', where it always sits. :nabble_smiley_wink:

That's dawn coming up behind me.

I guess I can't outrace the sun?