Bullnose Forums

How thick is the floorpan, 16 gauge?

Got myself a fancy new Miller Multimatic 255, mostly made in USA, does pulsed MIG which should be the bee's knees for my cracked floorpan.

Just did a search here and no hits on the metal gauge of the sheet metal floor. I found one edge and it measured 16g ... is that it?

The fancy welder sets itself up in terms of pulse, volts, ipm, and even makes coffee. But I have to tell it the gauge of metal.

Big ole hole in my checkbook for this sucker...but I don't want any more Chinese stuff. $2k more and I coulda had an all-USA Lincoln, so I compromised for mostly made in USA with some China boards in it Miller.

I have a leftover piece in the shop that I cut from a Bullnose floor, so I'll measure it tomorrow.

The really thick Tabco panels are only 18Ga.

I don't think even the bed floor is 16.

If you're using a disc gauge you have to be really sure your sample is absolutely straight and burr free.

If you're checking with a ball anvil meter or micrometer it's less critical.

If you're using a disc gauge you have to be really sure your sample is absolutely straight and burr free.

If you're checking with a ball anvil meter or micrometer it's less critical.

We're using this GaugeTool.jpg.aa0c4a6f963ab4c7aefee5d23feb2270.jpg

I'll be using dial calipers. Can break out the mikes if needed. But is it that critical?

I doubt it's that critical. But this being my first deployment of this new welder, I'm trying to get every advantage that I can. I'm probably being overly cautious.

My old welder was a no-name Chinese MIG with no electronic controls at all. I got by. But I wasn't welding on a Bullnose, it was usually something for which the consequences of booger welding were minimal.

I'll be using dial calipers. Can break out the mikes if needed. But is it that critical?

No Gary it's not that you need a mic, it's that you're reading a point not flat to flat.

A snap gauge or ball anvil mic assures you're 'pinching'.

Gauge is fraction of an inch.

Just like I pointed out with the German caliper scaled in 128ths.

16Ga. is a full 1/16".... do you really think a floor pan is stamped from that?

I believe the Flareside steel bed sides are 14ga, but I'd have to re-check them to confirm. I seem to recall measuring them around 0.060" thick. I had my new stake pockets and extension panels made out of 16ga iirc. I must check my notes tonight and see if my memory is serving me correctly.

I have a little Lincoln welder and they are so easy to dial in for that thinner steel. There's a chart on the inside of the side cover, and that gets you right in the ballpark. A couple tweaks from there and you are golden! These are my fake spot welds below.

IMG_7225_(Medium).jpg.b7904717851faedb0a039ee383439688.jpg

I believe the Flareside steel bed sides are 14ga, but I'd have to re-check them to confirm. I seem to recall measuring them around 0.060" thick. I had my new stake pockets and extension panels made out of 16ga iirc. I must check my notes tonight and see if my memory is serving me correctly.

I have a little Lincoln welder and they are so easy to dial in for that thinner steel. There's a chart on the inside of the side cover, and that gets you right in the ballpark. A couple tweaks from there and you are golden! These are my fake spot welds below.

I get .043" on the piece of floor pan I have laying here. This chart says that's 19 gauge.