Bullnose Forums

Water Pump

As you guys have been so influential in me keeping my truck and with it needing some repairs I've been addressing them. As such, I've replaced the intake manifold gaskets, rebuilt the distributor and the carburetor, replaced the plugs and cleaned up a lot of things under the hood. Last night I got the distributor stabbed and fired it up only to note a water leak from the water pump. That said, I need to purchase a water pump. I've done the Autozone and Oreilly's life time water pumps in the past on other vehicles and it seemed like I was replacing them almost routinely. The pump on it now is the OEM unit that came on it and I'd like one of equal quality. Would appreciate your suggestions? Thanks!!!

John - Glad we've helped. And in this case since you said you "pump on it now is the OEM unit that came on it and I'd like one of equal quality" then I think you are probably looking for a Motorcraft pump. Having said that, I don't see one on Rock Auto's site, although you might find it elsewhere.

Speaking of that site this link should take you to it. There you'll see several categories: Standard Replacement; Economy; High Performance/Racing; and Heavy Duty.

In the High Perf category you'll see the Gates pump.

In the latter you'll see Airtex pump. I wonder if that might be a good option? Warranty seems to be "limited lifetime".

I don't have any experience with either of those pumps, but the writeups sound good.

John - Glad we've helped. And in this case since you said you "pump on it now is the OEM unit that came on it and I'd like one of equal quality" then I think you are probably looking for a Motorcraft pump. Having said that, I don't see one on Rock Auto's site, although you might find it elsewhere.

Speaking of that site this link should take you to it. There you'll see several categories: Standard Replacement; Economy; High Performance/Racing; and Heavy Duty.

In the latter you'll see Airtex pump. I wonder if that might be a good option? Warranty seems to be "limited lifetime".

I don't have any experience with either of those pumps, but the writeups sound good.

Gary,

Any chance this is it?

https://www.ebay.com/i/202677260342?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=202677260342&targetid=4581046486094194&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=395665087&mkgroupid=1239149814203389&rlsatarget=pla-4581046486094194&abcId=1129776&merchantid=51291&msclkid=ff73d93cf53714af5a9287d73cf998c7

Hey thanks for responding, Gary. Yeah, I was looking on the RockAuto website today actually. There is also the option for an aluminum pump, just not sure which route to go. If I could rebuild mine with quality parts, I'd just do that but I don't see the parts available.

BTW, the Mid-American Mustang Shelby meet is going on in Tulsa this weekend for which I always attend. Saturday is the drags and Sunday is the car show. They're in Hallett today. Is that something you have ever attended?

This is my baby. Ranks in this order...God, wife and kids, Mustang....LOL! This was my very first car purchased back in 1977. It's on a rotisserie now.

Stang.jpg.3c0eef153ab2b76b556bccad9cce0d79.jpg

Hey thanks for responding, Gary. Yeah, I was looking on the RockAuto website today actually. There is also the option for an aluminum pump, just not sure which route to go. If I could rebuild mine with quality parts, I'd just do that but I don't see the parts available.

BTW, the Mid-American Mustang Shelby meet is going on in Tulsa this weekend for which I always attend. Saturday is the drags and Sunday is the car show. They're in Hallett today. Is that something you have ever attended?

This is my baby. Ranks in this order...God, wife and kids, Mustang....LOL! This was my very first car purchased back in 1977. It's on a rotisserie now.

David - I don't think so, but I don't know what that one fits as it doesn't show in the catalog. The MPC says he needs D6ZZ 8501-B, which is Motorcraft PW-153.

John - You have your priorities correct. But was it close between the kids and the Mustang?

And, it is odd that you mention Shelby meet and the drags. I literally just got back from getting my hair cut, for the first time in 3 months, and the lady that cut it, Carolyn Sole, said her kids want to race her Mach 1 on Saturday but she's going to say no. She usually drives it herself, but she thinks it is going to rain and it is a handful in the rain.

And, she isn't going to the meet this year either. We are experiencing a serious up-tick in Covid-19 cases here and she's had a kidney transplant and can't risk it.

David - I don't think so, but I don't know what that one fits as it doesn't show in the catalog. The MPC says he needs D6ZZ 8501-B, which is Motorcraft PW-153.

John - You have your priorities correct. But was it close between the kids and the Mustang?

And, it is odd that you mention Shelby meet and the drags. I literally just got back from getting my hair cut, for the first time in 3 months, and the lady that cut it, Carolyn Sole, said her kids want to race her Mach 1 on Saturday but she's going to say no. She usually drives it herself, but she thinks it is going to rain and it is a handful in the rain.

And, she isn't going to the meet this year either. We are experiencing a serious up-tick in Covid-19 cases here and she's had a kidney transplant and can't risk it.

I've had good experiences with TRW brand water pumps in the past. :nabble_smiley_good:

I can't speak for current manufacture

Thanks, David. Some of those are kinda pricey! And one says it is genuine Motorcraft but is rebuilt. :nabble_anim_confused:

I have had pretty good luck with AutoZone Duralast new pumps and have them on Darth and my Taurus along with the project Chrysler convertible. I will say when I have to replace the one in the Flex, it will be with a new Motorcraft as the redesign of it a few years ago they now have a roughly 200K life expectancy.